#141 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Don't buy that "gentleman's agreement" thing between the conferences, if it even exists. It didn't stop the SEC from taking Texas A&M. If the Big XII wants the schools mentioned, they wont let the SEC stand in their way.

I think that probably came after the Champions Bowl. I'm think there might be a mutual understanding, but the Big 12 will do what it has to do to protect their own.
@levineps

#142 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

CBS Sports: New Mexico State, Idaho and Georgia Southern now in play for Sun Belt

http://www.cbssports...ay-for-sun-belt
@levineps

#143 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

CBS Sports: Big East's basketball schools are in danger of being run over by realignment

http://www.cbssports...-by-realignment
@levineps

#144 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

ESPN: UTPA says WAC invited it to join

http://espn.go.com/c...ac-invited-join
@levineps

#145 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Lots of internet rumors swirling that Georgia Tech has been invited to the Big Ten.

#146 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Lots of internet rumors swirling that Georgia Tech has been invited to the Big Ten.

We've discussed that here -- there has to be another team with that right, wonder which one it would be?
@levineps

#147 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

We've discussed that here -- there has to be another team with that right, wonder which one it would be?

Just my guess, but either Virginia or North Carolina.

#148 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Just my guess, but either Virginia or North Carolina.

I would guess UVA moreso, but hey if this conference is dissolving, maybe it will be UNC. UVA seems like a better fit with MD already there. Is there any school, more ACC than UNC (as others have pointed out), if they were to leave this league is in serious trouble!
@levineps

#149 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

College of Charleston voted unanimously to join the CAA.

#150 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

ESPN: Pac-12 unlikely to expand soon

http://espn.go.com/c...y-expand-future

Scott said it's unlikely the league would move the championship game to a neutral site for at least the next few years. The conference believes a "host site" creates more of a typical football atmosphere and, more importantly, increases ticket sales.

Except when it's played at Stanford!
@levineps

#151 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Stop the presses!

@wspaxton (Fairfield beat writer)
Source: Quinnipiac, Monmouth reportedly to join MAAC.

MAAC: Canisius, Niagra, Fairfield, Siena, Marist, Rider, Manhattan, Iona, St. Peter's, Quinnipiac, Monmouth

Quinnipiac and Monmouth come from the Northeast Conference. (Also remember Loyola is heading to the Patriot League for 2013.)

#152 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

ESPN: Pac-12 unlikely to expand soon

http://espn.go.com/c...y-expand-future

Except when it's played at Stanford!

That was just awful. I understand the weather stunk, and Stanford fans aren't exactly hard core....but with a chance to see your team play for a Rose Bowl berth for the first time in over a decade, that was terrible.

#153 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Stop the presses!

@wspaxton (Fairfield beat writer)
Source: Quinnipiac, Monmouth reportedly to join MAAC.

MAAC: Loyola, Canisius, Niagra, Fairfield, Siena, Marist, Rider, Manhattan, Iona, St. Peter's, Quinnipiac, Monmouth

Quinnipiac and Monmouth come from the Northeast Conference.

It's a world gone mad.

#154 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

That was just awful. I understand the weather stunk, and Stanford fans aren't exactly hard core....but with a chance to see your team play for a Rose Bowl berth for the first time in over a decade, that was terrible.

Totally agree, I wonder if having it on a Saturday night (or even mid-afternoon) will raise the stakes at all (assuming ESPN is heading in that direction)?
@levineps

#155 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

Totally agree, I wonder if having it on a Saturday night (or even mid-afternoon) will raise the stakes at all (assuming ESPN is heading in that direction)?

I would hope so. I don't know when they have to lock-in the times for these games, but considering ESPN's lineup on Championship Weekend (ACC-CG, Big XII and Big East regular season finales) they might give the Pac-12 a more premium time slot than FOX has. Starting at 5:30 on a Friday does present issues, IMO. I understand why it has to be that way, but it does put the Pac-12 schools at a disadvantage. When FOX won the bid for last year's CCG, the initial plan was to start the game at noon or 12:30 (PST) on Sat as the lead-in to the B1G game. I initially thought the switch to Friday night was good, but now I'm not so sure.

Along the same line, I know fans of both of the Oregon schools complained about the number of 7:30 pm kickoff times they got this season. Considering how many of them come from the Portland area, which is about 2-hours to both Eugene and Corvallis, it makes for a long night by the time you get home. But that $20 million or so each school is getting from ESPN/FOX comes with a price.

#156 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

I would hope so. I don't know when they have to lock-in the times for these games, but considering ESPN's lineup on Championship Weekend (ACC-CG, Big XII and Big East regular season finales) they might give the Pac-12 a more premium time slot than FOX has. Starting at 5:30 on a Friday does present issues, IMO. I understand why it has to be that way, but it does put the Pac-12 schools at a disadvantage. When FOX won the bid for last year's CCG, the initial plan was to start the game at noon or 12:30 (PST) on Sat as the lead-in to the B1G game. I initially thought the switch to Friday night was good, but now I'm not so sure.

Along the same line, I know fans of both of the Oregon schools complained about the number of 7:30 pm kickoff times they got this season. Considering how many of them come from the Portland area, which is about 2-hours to both Eugene and Corvallis, it makes for a long night by the time you get home. But that $20 million or so each school is getting from ESPN/FOX comes with a price.

That was part of my thought process, you are basically asking people to leave early from work to get there. And the fact, Stanford has had success lately, playing for a spot at the Rose Bowl doesn't have the same lore as playing for a piece of the national championship,

Playing at 8:30, with an 8:40 kickoff might be a good compromise from the current set-up. I don't think you want to play that early on the west on a Saturday.

Another factor is ideally you probably want to play before the SEC Title game since a Pac-12 team is more likely to be a contender nationally before this game is being played.
@levineps

#157 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

ESPN: Rutgers sues Big East

http://espn.go.com/n...t-fee-wait-time

Rutgers has filed a lawsuit against the Big East in an attempt to get out of the league's $10 million buyout and 27-month waiting period to join the Big Ten.

@levineps

#158 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

They'll win.

#159 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,496 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

Seriously, hasn't the Big East reached the point where it should no longer be necessary to file suit? The blueprint is pretty well established for what it takes to get out. Seems like an unnecessary formality to me.

#160 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Seriously, hasn't the Big East reached the point where it should no longer be necessary to file suit? The blueprint is pretty well established for what it takes to get out. Seems like an unnecessary formality to me.

Rutgers is the one suing!
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=