#121 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

It is the Big 12 that the ACC has to worry about. The Big 12 can not stay at 10 teams. They need 12 to get back to a conference championship. Louisville made a lot of sense for them. With Louisville gone...

FWIW, they've said many times they are happy with 10 teams.
@levineps

#122 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

I agree they would rather be in the SEC, vs. the Big 12, but South Carolina and Florida are not going to want Clemson and FSU in the SEC.

Louisville and Notre Dame playing the ACC teams for 5 games a year might be enough to keep them both. Also, they have their own ACC traditions, and would have to pay that $50M exit fee themselves.

I wouldn't necessarily expect FSU and Clemson to jump. If they do though, I think it will be the Big 12. They only make that move if the TV money is that much better for them, and they believe they need to make that move for their football programs.

The VA state legislature basically forced UVA to vote for VT, so why couldn't the SC and FL bodies do the same?

I think both of these schools(and others) are monitoring how much MD will have to pay in the end. If the ACC let's MD off-the-hook somewhat it will set a dangerous precedent.
@levineps

#123 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

The VA state legislature basically forced UVA to vote for VT, so why couldn't the SC and FL bodies do the same?

I think both of these schools(and others) are monitoring how much MD will have to pay in the end. If the ACC let's MD off-the-hook somewhat it will set a dangerous precedent.

Good point. That is basically what K was talking about when this happened... the more money MD pays, the better it is for the ACC as a deterrent.

#124 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm not sure that analogy works. Obviously you are talking about 3 different states. Saying that one state will operate in the same manner another did is possible, but far from conclusive.

It's been awhile, so I don't remember if UVA was as opposed to VaTech joining the ACC as South Carolina and Florida are about Clemson and FSU joining the SEC.

If UVA was, that gives some credence to the point you are making.

However, that goes with the assumption that Clemson and FSU (if they wanted to leave the ACC) would definitively favor the SEC to the Big12. They might. Or they might look at it the way Ricker mentioned, that the path to contending in the Big12 is probably easier.

I don't give any weight to the Big 12 saying they are perfectly happy at 10 teams. Every league is happy with the teams they have, until they definitively have other teams to add. You have to project the best about your league. That the league is stable, that the members are great.

That league needs a conference championship game. Too much money not being made without one in my eyes.

Of course they might have to stay 'happy' with 10, if they can not find two other schools that make sense. They won't take just anyone.

FSU does not have the budget issues MD does, and academics is a concern for them. That was part of the reason they did not leave before. They did object to the raised exit fee just like MD though.

It became moot when FSU was not able to beat Florida at home, but had the Seminoles won that game; FSU would have been a 1 loss time totally removed from the National Title discussion. As it is, FSU had regained control of the ACC, but is clearly behind where they were as a program from the late 80s through around 2000.

If MD can afford to the pay the entire exit fee (and they can, even if they do not want to) FSU could do the same. If their boosters decide that FSU can not be the National factor they once were by staying in the ACC, they will move. If they believe they can, they probably stay.

Clemson will do what ever FSU does.

#125 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm not sure that analogy works. Obviously you are talking about 3 different states. Saying that one state will operate in the same manner another did is possible, but far from conclusive.

It's been awhile, so I don't remember if UVA was as opposed to VaTech joining the ACC as South Carolina and Florida are about Clemson and FSU joining the SEC.

If UVA was, that gives some credence to the point you are making.

However, that goes with the assumption that Clemson and FSU (if they wanted to leave the ACC) would definitively favor the SEC to the Big12. They might. Or they might look at it the way Ricker mentioned, that the path to contending in the Big12 is probably easier.

I don't give any weight to the Big 12 saying they are perfectly happy at 10 teams. Every league is happy with the teams they have, until they definitively have other teams to add. You have to project the best about your league. That the league is stable, that the members are great.

That league needs a conference championship game. Too much money not being made without one in my eyes.

Of course they might have to stay 'happy' with 10, if they can not find two other schools that make sense. They won't take just anyone.

FSU does not have the budget issues MD does, and academics is a concern for them. That was part of the reason they did not leave before. They did object to the raised exit fee just like MD though.

It became moot when FSU was not able to beat Florida at home, but had the Seminoles won that game; FSU would have been a 1 loss time totally removed from the National Title discussion. As it is, FSU had regained control of the ACC, but is clearly behind where they were as a program from the late 80s through around 2000.

If MD can afford to the pay the entire exit fee (and they can, even if they do not want to) FSU could do the same. If their boosters decide that FSU can not be the National factor they once were by staying in the ACC, they will move. If they believe they can, they probably stay.

Clemson will do what ever FSU does.

I'm not saying that the FL/SC legislative bodies will, but they could, just to clarify.

From what I've read and some football fans I know, FSU prefers the SEC since it's more "elite." Faculty prefers the ACC for those academic reasons. I think for proxmity purposes, both Clemson/FSU would favor the SEC, especially FSU.
@levineps

#126 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

In other news, the Louisville-Rutgers football game this week has been declared part of the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

(Blatantly stolen from Twitter...)

#127 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

ESPN: WAC adds Grand Canyon University

http://espn.go.com/c...ds-grand-canyon
@levineps

#128 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

ESPN: Sources: C-USA adds 2 schools

http://espn.go.com/c...nce-usa-sources

Florida Atlantic and Middle Tennessee State are leaving the Sun Belt Conference for Conference USA, sources told ESPN.

When will these schools be joining the Big East and eventually the ACC?
@levineps

#129 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

RE: FSU and Clemson to the SEC....It takes two to tango. While I'm sure they'd both prefer the SEC, I seriously doubt the SEC would prefer them. Aside from opposition from UF and SC, FSU and Clemson do not expand the conference's footprint. The SEC is going to be launching its own cable network soon, a la the BTN. And when you have your own network, expansion becomes all about getting that network onto basic cable in populous states (more subscriber revenues). That is why you hear schools like NC State and VT to the SEC much more than FSU and Clemson. Now whether the legislative bodies in Fla and SC could force the issue like VA did is uncertain. Remember, the ACC only had 9 schools then and needed 7 to vote in favor of expansion.....and with UNC and Duke firmly against, UVA was the swing vote and the governor knew he could make a power-play. UF and SC are only two out of 14 SEC schools, so even if they vote against, they alone probably couldn't block expansion.

RE: ACC....Louisville is a good add. The Big XII very seriously considered adding them before deciding on WVU. So if the Big XII did expand again, I'm sure they'd at least look at Louisville again. In other words, they are a desired commodity. Not so much with UConn or Cincinnati. If the ACC needs to add more schools down the road, both of those will still be available.

RE: Big XII expansion....The reason why they indicated they weren't interested in expansion is because they believe they would be able to get a 2nd team in the BCS most years (worth an extra $6 million) with just 10 teams, which could help make up for revenue lost by not having a CCG. Looking at this year, presumably a CCG would pit K State against Oklahoma. As it is now, there's a chance both could get a BCS berth (largely depends on whether Kent State can claim an automatic berth.....if they can, then only the Big XII champ would go). But if they had to play each other again, the loser of that game would almost certainly not get an at-large BCS berth. And of course there is also the potential that a team in line for getting into the title game could end up losing that 13th game. Now, when the current BCS expires and we get what will essentially be the BCS on steroids in 2014, then I'm sure the Big XII will re-assess the landscape and determine whether expansion is more prudent for them financially. The football coaches won't like the CCG no matter what, but they aren't the ones who have to keep the budget balanced.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#130 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

ESPN: UConn scrambling after ACC snub

http://espn.go.com/c...-left-acc-plans
@levineps

#131 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Louisville is a step up for the ACC in terms of bball and football compared to MD.

#132 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Louisville is a step up for the ACC in terms of bball and football compared to MD.

I'm not sure if that will be the case long-term, but right now that would be accurate.

#133 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Does Louisville leaving make the threat of the Catholic schools voting to disband stronger?

#134 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Does Louisville leaving make the threat of the Catholic schools voting to disband stronger?

Hopefully. But honestly, after the Big East added Tulane in all-sports (which the basketball schools had to agree on...they have voting rights to add all-sports members. They do not have rights to vote on football-only members), I really have no clue what's going on.

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

It is certainly fair to that Louisville has been a little better historically than MD, and has certainly been better than MD over the last decade. I think it is also fair to say that as long as Pitino is there, Louisville will remain a factor Nationally.

I doubt Louisville does anything more than MD the next 5 years though. I also think that an optimally performing MD basketball program has no less upside than Louisville.

Re: Football... Louisville is currently ranked, and MD has been a mess the last two years. Due to that, most would agree with you. I've read previously their athletic department is flush with cash, and that has helped.

Generally, I would look at their football programs pretty similarly though (of what they should be capable of regularly).

#136 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

It is certainly fair to that Louisville has been a little better historically than MD, and has certainly been better than MD over the last decade. I think it is also fair to say that as long as Pitino is there, Louisville will remain a factor Nationally.

I doubt Louisville does anything more than MD the next 5 years though. I also think that an optimally performing MD basketball program has no less upside than Louisville.

Re: Football... Louisville is currently ranked, and MD has been a mess the last two years. Due to that, most would agree with you. I've read previously their athletic department is flush with cash, and that has helped.

Generally, I would look at their football programs pretty similarly though (of what they should be capable of regularly).

Don't disagree with any of this.

But the Yum center is said to be every bit as good as Comcast...Louisville may not do anymore than MD, who knows...but they aren't a step down by any means.

Football program has clearly been more successful. Agree that Md football program should be on par with them though.

Either way, in terms of those 2 sports(and let's face it, that's are the ones that matter), the ACC didn't lose anything. If anything, they gained.

#137 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Jay Williams just ranked his top 5 ACC teams:

1) Duke
2) Maryland
3) NC St
4) Miami
5) UNC

I could argue Miami and UNC but I think those are the top 5, with FSU being 6th.

Btw, impressive win for UVA to win in Wisconsin. Wisconsin isn't as good as usual but still, tough to win at Wisconsin.

Williams mentioned how high he is on the Terps...Pearl and Greenberg agreed.

#138 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

CBS Sports: Why the Big 12 is happy with 10 amid the latest round of realignment

http://www.cbssports...-of-realignment

A conference championship game doesn't make much financial sense. One media consultant says such a game would be worth only $700,000-$1 million a year per school. Not an insignificant amount but worth having to split with two more mouths to feed?

Big 12 expansion rests, indirectly, on a perceived gentleman's agreement with the SEC. The league supposedly would not expand to states where there currently are teams. That seemingly takes Florida State, Clemson and Georgia Tech out of the mix.

@levineps

#139 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

ESPN: Latest realignment winners and losers (Insider)

http://insider.espn....lege-basketball

Lunardi puts the ACC as a "winner" and the Big Ten as a "loser."
@levineps

#140 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Don't buy that "gentleman's agreement" thing between the conferences, if it even exists. It didn't stop the SEC from taking Texas A&M. If the Big XII wants the schools mentioned, they wont let the SEC stand in their way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=