#101 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I thought it was more UConn or Louisville, although Cincy has been mentioned.

We'll see. As a Hoops guy who doesn't really care about Football, I'd prefer Louisville, but any of the three would suffice.

Edit: Andy Katz reporting it's Cincinnati who is trying to get in ASAP.
@beginthebegin71

#102 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hearing from some of the Carolina people that the ACC could name a new team as early as tomorrow..Perhaps Cincinnati or Louisville?

Interesting. UConn seems to be the obvious fit in terms of geography and academics. But it was said after last year's expansion was official that BC lobbied hard for Pitt over UConn. Seems they want to be the only New England school in the ACC. Frankly, I couldn't imagine BC having that much influence over the other schools. But they are in the conference's largest TV market, so I guess that does mean something.

#103 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Assuming UConn departs, then the Big East pretty much WILL be C-USA, pre-2004.

Talk about being rebranded!
@levineps

#104 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

We'll see. As a Hoops guy who doesn't really care about Football, I'd prefer Louisville, but any of the three would suffice.

Edit: Andy Katz reporting it's Cincinnati who is trying to get in ASAP.

Just saw... didn't WVU also "push" to join the ACC? Just because you want in, doesn't mean you'll get in. Although, I think ACC doesn't want to dissolve like the Big East is.

ESPN: Cincinnati pushing to join ACC

http://espn.go.com/c...join-acc-source
@levineps

#105 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Just saw... didn't WVU also "push" to join the ACC? Just because you want in, doesn't mean you'll get in. Although, I think ACC doesn't want to dissolve like the Big East is.

ESPN: Cincinnati pushing to join ACC

http://espn.go.com/c...join-acc-source

Agreed.

i do trust some of the "sources" on the Carolina site I frequent, and they did say that an announcement is imminent, but didnt know the team..We'll see.
@beginthebegin71

#106 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Isn't Cincinnati, um, not exactly up to par with the academic reputations of the rest of the ACC? Or am I just focusing too much of my memory on Bob Huggins?

#107 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Isn't Cincinnati, um, not exactly up to par with the academic reputations of the rest of the ACC? Or am I just focusing too much of my memory on Bob Huggins?

63. UConn
139. Cincinnati
160. Louisville

I believe the ACC's current basement-dweller is NC State at 106.

#108 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

63. UConn
139. Cincinnati
160. Louisville

I believe the ACC's current basement-dweller is NC State at 106.

UConn is a lot higher than I thought, the academic argument has been used against them a lot.
@levineps

#109 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

UConn is a lot higher than I thought, the academic argument has been used against them a lot.

Never heard academics as a knock against them. They actually rank higher than Rutgers (#113) and not far behind Maryland (#58). I got those from U.S. News & World Report, which is usually what is cited in the media when discussing a school's academic reputation.

http://colleges.usne...al-universities

EDIT: Scratch what I said about Rutgers....the Newark campus is ranked #113. The main campus is ranked #68....still behind UConn.

#110 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

ACC likely to invite Louisville to replace MD.

#111 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

Keep the wheels a-churnin!

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS
CBSSports has confirmed that the ACC has voted to add Louisville to the league.

#112 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

That's a good get for the ACC.

#113 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

That's a good get for the ACC.

Yeah, it is. It also shows a new reality though. West VA begged to get into the ACC and was denied because of their academics. This time around, the ACC was not in position to turn down Louisville, even though the academics don't mesh with the rest of the league.

The ACC would be well served in my eyes by also taking UConn, and Cincinnati. However, with Notre Dame not officially joining for football, that becomes difficult.

Because while you have 14 for football, you have 15 for basketball. So you could really only take one of UConn or Cincinnati, and that does not make much sense - as the football divisions would become unbalanced.

The danger for the ACC remains FSU and Clemson leaving. If that happens, the league will be in turmoil. If Louisville gets them to stay, the league should be fine.

#114 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, it is. It also shows a new reality though. West VA begged to get into the ACC and was denied because of their academics. This time around, the ACC was not in position to turn down Louisville, even though the academics don't mesh with the rest of the league.

The ACC would be well served in my eyes by also taking UConn, and Cincinnati. However, with Notre Dame not officially joining for football, that becomes difficult.

Because while you have 14 for football, you have 15 for basketball. So you could really only take one of UConn or Cincinnati, and that does not make much sense - as the football divisions would become unbalanced.

The danger for the ACC remains FSU and Clemson leaving. If that happens, the league will be in turmoil. If Louisville gets them to stay, the league should be fine.

They should be happy with the Louisville invite, more so than Uconn. Louisville is better at football and has a better athletic program overall. A lot of internet rumors were saying Clemson and FSU heavily lobbied for Louisville over Uconn.

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

They should be happy with the Louisville invite, more so than Uconn. Louisville is better at football and has a better athletic program overall. A lot of internet rumors were saying Clemson and FSU heavily lobbied for Louisville over Uconn.

Well, if the Louisville move appeases Clemson and FSU, then this is an even better thing for the ACC. Nothing is guaranteed though, I wonder when the SEC will come knocking?

#116 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Louisville has been better the last two years. If you look over the past 6 years, I think you see two fairly comparable football programs. I would agree that Louisville has the better potential of being better though.

UConn
2007: 9-4, 5-2 Big East
2008: 8-5, 3-4 Big East
2009: 8-5, 3-4 Big East
2010: 8-5, 5-2 Big East
2011: 5-7, 3-4 Big East
2012: 5-6, 2-4 Big East

Louisville
2007: 6-6, 3-4 Big East
2008: 5-7, 1-6 Big East
2009: 4-8, 1-6 Big East
2010: 7-6, 3-4 Big East
2011: 7-6, 5-2 Big East
2012: 9-2, 4-2 Big East

#117 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Well, if the Louisville move appeases Clemson and FSU, then this is an even better thing for the ACC. Nothing is guaranteed though, I wonder when the SEC will come knocking?

It is the Big 12 that the ACC has to worry about. The Big 12 can not stay at 10 teams. They need 12 to get back to a conference championship. Louisville made a lot of sense for them. With Louisville gone...

#118 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

It is the Big 12 that the ACC has to worry about. The Big 12 can not stay at 10 teams. They need 12 to get back to a conference championship. Louisville made a lot of sense for them. With Louisville gone...

But I don't think the Big 12 makes as much sense for Clemson and FSU... although I've seen the reports.

I just feel like Clemson and FSU would have a hard time turning down the SEC, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not terribly well versed on all of this.

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

But I don't think the Big 12 makes as much sense for Clemson and FSU... although I've seen the reports.

I just feel like Clemson and FSU would have a hard time turning down the SEC, but I'll be the first to admit I'm not terribly well versed on all of this.

I agree they would rather be in the SEC, vs. the Big 12, but South Carolina and Florida are not going to want Clemson and FSU in the SEC.

Louisville and Notre Dame playing the ACC teams for 5 games a year might be enough to keep them both. Also, they have their own ACC traditions, and would have to pay that $50M exit fee themselves.

I wouldn't necessarily expect FSU and Clemson to jump. If they do though, I think it will be the Big 12. They only make that move if the TV money is that much better for them, and they believe they need to make that move for their football programs.

#120 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

I agree they would rather be in the SEC, vs. the Big 12, but South Carolina and Florida are not going to want Clemson and FSU in the SEC.

Louisville and Notre Dame playing the ACC teams for 5 games a year might be enough to keep them both. Also, they have their own ACC traditions, and would have to pay that $50M exit fee themselves.

I wouldn't necessarily expect FSU and Clemson to jump. If they do though, I think it will be the Big 12. They only make that move if the TV money is that much better for them, and they believe they need to make that move for their football programs.

Good points. They'd also be among the top dogs in the Big 12, as opposed to just one of many great teams in the SEC. I hope they stay in the ACC. I don't want to see the ACC become the Big East.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=