#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

He's been disappointing so far, but part of the reason is he's had almost half of his PA's against lefties, which doesn't make sense at all. He has a .490 OPS in PA's. He's not crushing righties by any stretch of the imagination, but a .749 OPS in this lower run environment is respectable.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

3 hits last night, including a double, and a HR (his 8th), also had 3 rbi. Raised his OPS 44 points (currently .708).

Also had two missed plays on pop-ups.

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

3 hits last night, including a double, and a HR (his 8th), also had 3 rbi. Raised his OPS 44 points (currently .708).

Also had two missed plays on pop-ups.

And, shocker, it came from the left side of the plate. Platoon the man.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Betemit doubled into RCF on the 8th pitch he saw in the 3rd tonight. He was later robbed of a HR.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Season: .255 baa, 11 hr's, 34 rbi's, 29 bb's, 82 k's, 13 doubles, .743 OPS

72 ab's vs. LHP: .478 OPS
206 ab's vs. RHP: .837 OPS

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Buck really should go all out to prevent him from batting vs lefties.

He has been quite good at what he was brought in to do, which is hit righties, it's too bad that he's been asked to hit lefties and play defense more than what's ideal.

#27 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Buck really should go all out to prevent him from batting vs lefties.

He has been quite good at what he was brought in to do, which is hit righties, it's too bad that he's been asked to hit lefties and play defense more than what's ideal.

Yes, he should be plattoning with Tolleson at 3b. Better yet, trade for Headley and platoon him with Reynolds at 1B. Either way getting him out of the lineup against LHP would be huge.

Blah... I see Tolleson was optioned. Well, guess we have to trade for Headley then.

#28 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

He really is quite good at what he does. Hit righties, to the tune of a .872 OPS

An interesting note, is that Betemit has only played 5 games at DH - the same amount of game he's been out in LF.

#29 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I've tweeted it a bunch and mentioned it on here, but why he's allowed to face left handed pitchers is beyond me. He is absolutely brutal in those at bats. For his career he's .281/.350/.476 as a lefty and .230/.288/.355 as a righty. The splits might be a bit more skewed this season, but for the most part he's been a consistently solid hitter from the left side and a consistently poor hitter from the right side.

He really is the perfect player to have in a platoon. I just won't support him batting from the right side anymore this season. It's almost a guaranteed out and typically in pretty ugly fashion. Let the guy stick to his strengths.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@AdamWolff

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

I've tweeted it a bunch and mentioned it on here, but why he's allowed to face left handed pitchers is beyond me. He is absolutely brutal in those at bats. For his career he's .281/.350/.476 as a lefty and .230/.288/.355 as a righty. The splits might be a bit more skewed this season, but for the most part he's been a consistently solid hitter from the left side and a consistently poor hitter from the right side.

He really is the perfect player to have in a platoon. I just won't support him batting from the right side anymore this season. It's almost a guaranteed out and typically in pretty ugly fashion. Let the guy stick to his strengths.

Is he leading the league in 3-pitch strikeouts?
@levineps

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I wouldn't automatically pull him if he starts against a righty and then they put in a lefty later in the game. But I would never start him against a LHP and would do everything plausible to PH for him against lefties in close & late situations, especially since you'd want a better defender out there anyway if a game is close & late.

#32 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I wouldn't automatically pull him if he starts against a righty and then they put in a lefty later in the game. But I would never start him against a LHP and would do everything plausible to PH for him against lefties in close & late situations, especially since you'd want a better defender out there anyway if a game is close & late.

Yeah, I agree with this. If it's the 6th or 7th inning and a lefty comes in, I'm probably letting him hit, but if it's the 9th inning, maybe the 8th and there's a good chance he wouldn't be getting another AB any way, I'm pinch hitting.

I know this is an easy thing for a fan to say, but could he really be that much worse hitting left handed against a lefty? Maybe he could be, but it doesn't seem like a terrible thing to try.

@AdamWolff

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Season: .264 baa, 12 hr's, 37 rbi's, 31 bb's, 97 k's, 18 doubles, .755 OPS

84 ab's vs. LHP: .414 OPS
245 ab's vs. RHP: .873 OPS

If he gets another ab vs. a LHP, it should come as a LH hitter.

#34 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Season: .264 baa, 12 hr's, 37 rbi's, 31 bb's, 97 k's, 18 doubles, .755 OPS

84 ab's vs. LHP: .414 OPS
245 ab's vs. RHP: .873 OPS

If he gets another ab vs. a LHP, it should come as a LH hitter.

I'm not sure if very good is too far to go, but Betemit is pretty damn effective as a LH hitter. Considering it's usually not that tough to find a RH hitter that can hit LH pitching well, he's an incredibly useful guy to have as that part of the platoon.

@AdamWolff

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Missed this yesterday, but Brittany Ghiroli reported:

*Wilson Betemit is scheduled to under go an MRI tomorrow morning on his wrist, manager Buck Showalter said. Betemit is bothered by the wrist whenever he tries to swing, but at this point the team is hoping that the injury is just tendinitis."

http://brittghiroli....regame-notes-3/

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Missed this yesterday, but Brittany Ghiroli reported:

*Wilson Betemit is scheduled to under go an MRI tomorrow morning on his wrist, manager Buck Showalter said. Betemit is bothered by the wrist whenever he tries to swing, but at this point the team is hoping that the injury is just tendinitis."

http://brittghiroli....regame-notes-3/

And MASN has reported today, that he is going to the DL:

http://www.masnsport...he-red-sox.html

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

This is a bigger loss than I think many people realize. He's a very valuable bat vs righties.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

This is a bigger loss than I think many people realize. He's a very valuable bat vs righties.

Absolutely. He should be in the lineup every night vs RHP.

#39 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,235 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:15 PM

*Wilson Betemit is with the team and will take some swings during pregame batting practice today with the expectation being he will head out on a rehab assignment Wednesday and activated as early as Saturday.

http://brittghiroli.... ... white-sox/

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to his return.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=