• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

The Sun's Dan Connolly reports via Twitter that the O's have signed Wilson Betemit.

Betemit turned 30 on November 2nd. In his Major League career, the switch hitter has played 383 games at 3rd, 79 games at SS, 65 games at 1st, 20 games at 2nd, and 4 games in the OF. He appears to be a butcher at every position, but 'better' at 3rd vs. 2nd or SS.

In '11, he batted .285 with 8 homers, and 40 rbi. He had a .343 OBP, .452 SLG. For his career, he has a .784 OPS, and a wOBA of .337.

It will be interesting to hear how the O's see him fitting in. I would imagine the O's envision him off the bench. Currently, I guess you could plug him in at DH.

Hardy SS
Markakis RF
Jones CF
Reynolds 3rd
Wieters C
Davis 1st
Reimold LF
Betemit DH
Andino 2nd

Roberts, Teagarden, Antonelli or Flaherty, Chavez or Miller

*Until determined otherwise, you have to include Roberts on the roster. If he is healthy enough to come North, he will be starting. With him unable to attend FanFest, I believe it is likely that we see a buyout between Roberts and the O's during Spring Training.

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Roberts unlikely to be on OD roster.

Chavez is basically guaranteed a spot, so its not him or Miller.

It is Chavez, TT and 2 of Miller, Flaherty and Antonelli.

Gotta think this also means no Prado if a Jones to Braves deal happens, which I guess is unlikely at this point.

#3 jsh

jsh
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

Betemit has good platoon splits vs. RHP. Not a bad pickup as long as the money is reasonable and the Orioles use him properly.
@jsh2185

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:15 AM

Betemit would be a great move for a contending team looking to us him as a super utility guy who would get 300 or so AB's. Solid switch hitter off the bench. For the Orioles it is a little bit of a headscratcher. He will wind up getting 450 AB's and be asked to play a key role. He is not good enough for that IMO.
Betemit to me is a lot like the Ty Wigginton signing a few years back.
@mikeghg

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

I liked the move better as a 1 year deal, I'm surprised to see 2 years and an option for a 3rd.

#6 jsh

jsh
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

If they pick up Thames or Connor Jackson and do a platoon than this is a good signing in my opinion. Betemit shouldn't see time in the field over Flaherty or Antonelli.

Edit: Saw that Melewski tweeted about a Betemit/Miller platoon. I'd be ok with that as well.
@jsh2185

#7 jsh

jsh
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

Two years, 3M total. Could go up to 6M with the vesting option. Don't think you can really complain about that, shouldn't be hard for Betemit to provide 3M of value over 2 years.
@jsh2185

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Dempsey's Army: The Wisdom of Signing Betemit
http://dempseysarmy....ing-wilson.html

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Nice couple of 8th innings the last two days for Betemit. His versatility, as opposed to Vlad only being able to DH last year, is helping the roster as a whole.

#10 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Nice couple of 8th innings the last two days for Betemit. His versatility, as opposed to Vlad only being able to DH last year, is helping the roster as a whole.

Right, I like Betemit. Nothing special but a decent hitter with some versatility. I like both of our FA pickups this offseason in he and Chavez. Solid ballplayers that help a ball club at a cheap price.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

4 walks from Betemit over the last 2 days. He has been a nice addition.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

Big homer from Betemit last night.

Entered today with a .758 OPS, 6 hr's, and 19 rbi. Really crushing RHP, continuing to struggle vs. LHP.

Duquette's comments in the off-season about Betemit's best position being DH have really proven to be accurate.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Another timely hr from Betemit tonight (his 7th), as he had a 2 run shot in the 8th.

#14 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yep, he's had a couple big ones.

Two things I don't enjoy watching him do: play the field and bat right handed.

@AdamWolff

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

Pretty brutal on both accounts. With Hall and Tolleson on the roster, really no reason for him to be getting any ab's vs. LHP.

#16 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

Pretty brutal on both accounts. With Hall and Tolleson on the roster, really no reason for him to be getting any ab's vs. LHP.

Definitely agree. If he were strictly a lefty and was terrible against lefties, you wouldn't think twice about benching him. For some reason, though, because he's a switch hitter, the fact that he can't hit lefties is overlooked a bit.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of Tolleson, especially in the field.

@AdamWolff

#17 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of Tolleson, especially in the field.

Small sample size of course, but he's quietly hitting .313 with a home run after 16 at-bats. Is this a guy that Buck can Andino-ize?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Not saying much but I like him a little better defensively at 1b than Davis. Better hands for sure.

It will be nice to get Reynolds back to DH and play 1b against LHP. Neither Davis or Betemit should be playing vs lefties.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Betemit in the cavernous Rogers Centre LF tonight could be an adventure. I'd guess Chavez would enter late a defensive replacement if the game is tight.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Betemit has not had an XBH since homering 5/22, and is 4 for 21 overall in June.
His OPS is down to .668 for the season. (.749 vs RHP, .490 vs. LHP)

Betemit has definitively shown he best fits as a LH DH.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=