Photo

Balt Sun: 10 starting pitcher trade targets for Orioles in wake of Kyle Bradish injury

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:37 PM

If they aren’t so far away, why are they looking to trade their two best starters?

They aren't looking to trade Crochet. People are just inventing that desire because they want him.

Fedde is 31 and is having a surprising season. He makes sense to trade.

But they have some intriguing young players and Cannon looks good too. They're going to be terrible this year but the skeleton is there for them to be good in a couple years.

#42 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:43 PM

They aren't looking to trade Crochet. People are just inventing that desire because they want him.
Fedde is 31 and is having a surprising season. He makes sense to trade.
But they have some intriguing young players and Cannon looks good too. They're going to be terrible this year but the skeleton is there for them to be good in a couple years.

Did the same people invent the Dylan Cease trade?

The skeleton has no bones.

#43 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:43 PM

We can make a best offer for Fedde without including the top 4.

If you are right, wouldn't the title of this thread be "Orioles acquire Eric Fedde from Chi Sox" (with a stock photo of Mike Elias)

#44 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 01:46 PM

If you are right, wouldn't the title of this thread be "Orioles acquire Eric Fedde from Chi Sox" (with a stock photo of Mike Elias)

Does Chris Getz strike you as a guy who’s going to take the best offer he can 5 weeks before the deadline?

On the same note, Elias is going to wait as long as possible, see how Fedde does the next 5 weeks, if he remains in good health, etc. There’s no pressure on either side to make a deal now.

#45 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:05 PM

Does Chris Getz strike you as a guy who’s going to take the best offer he can 5 weeks before the deadline?

On the same note, Elias is going to wait as long as possible, see how Fedde does the next 5 weeks, if he remains in good health, etc. There’s no pressure on either side to make a deal now.

So we're back to my first comment on timing.  If you want to move on guys with value today, you need to go heavy. 

I think the CWS will have a much more aggressive demand.  They aren't pushed by timing or control.  The only forcing function is getting something that want.

Norby would be versus their perspective on Ramos.  Montgomery will be their SS.  Last year's 1-15 pick (Jacob Gonzalez) is probably 2B or 3B depending on Ramos.

I doubt they are heading into some long rebuild (they just did that with nothing to show for it).  The need now OFers and a LHed RFer with power would seem to be the best fit for doing something.  Their minors are pitching heavy with most guys at AA/AAA.  They have to figure out what they want, but that's just general competence...no reason they can't be good. 

#46 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,016 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:06 PM

I would be fine moving Kjerstad as the headliner in a package for a legit starter. O's have bigger needs than holding onto a left hitting OFer.

Extend Santander, flip Kjerstad for pitching feels like the smartest way to handle RF for the next few years but we'll see

#47 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:13 PM

Luzardo would be my top guy on this list.  He just went on the IL with a back issue (4-6 weeks). So he's not much of a now target if you want something sooner than later.

Everyone was hot for Luzardo in the offseason.  Nothing really changes that for me.  If you are looking for pitchers that a guaranteed to be healthy, you can go home and start watching soccer.

Due diligence everywhere.  If he is (anyone is) a broken toy, then you can still buy low but you're paying broken toy prices.

Avasail Garcia's contract would have been something to work with on the cost side. Total salary is going down next year, so using some money to accomplish things would serve several purposes.

With poorer results, the Marlins aren't getting the Basallo type package (anytime soon).  They don't have to trade him either and that's fine.

#48 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:17 PM

Did the same people invent the Dylan Cease trade?

The skeleton has no bones.

You're right - they'll be horrible forever. Just like the Orioles were going to be.

#49 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:19 PM

Luzardo would be my top guy on this list. He just went on the IL with a back issue (4-6 weeks). So he's not much of a now target if you want something sooner than later.

Everyone was hot for Luzardo in the offseason. Nothing really changes that for me. If you are looking for pitchers that a guaranteed to be healthy, you can go home and start watching soccer.

Due diligence everywhere. If he is (anyone is) a broken toy, then you can still buy low but you're paying broken toy prices.

Avasail Garcia's contract would have been something to work with on the cost side. Total salary is going down next year, so using some money to accomplish things would serve several purposes.

With poorer results, the Marlins aren't getting the Basallo type package (anytime soon). They don't have to trade him either and that's fine.

I'm not relying on Luzardo to even be pitching in Septembler, much less pitching well. He hasn't been healthy or good all season, and the Marlins have no motivation to trade him when his value is at its very lowest.

#50 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:33 PM

So we're back to my first comment on timing. If you want to move on guys with value today, you need to go heavy.

I think the CWS will have a much more aggressive demand. They aren't pushed by timing or control. The only forcing function is getting something that want.

Norby would be versus their perspective on Ramos. Montgomery will be their SS. Last year's 1-15 pick (Jacob Gonzalez) is probably 2B or 3B depending on Ramos.

I doubt they are heading into some long rebuild (they just did that with nothing to show for it). The need now OFers and a LHed RFer with power would seem to be the best fit for doing something. Their minors are pitching heavy with most guys at AA/AAA. They have to figure out what they want, but that's just general competence...no reason they can't be good.

The same Colson Montgomery hitting .221 in the hitting rich environment at Charlotte in AAA and who many question if he has the range for SS? And they might not need Norby because they have Ramos. Is that the same Ramos who had a .579 OPS in AA and a .619 OPS in AAA. Yeah, the WS seem all set.

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:56 PM

Chase Anderson.

Angels are one-stop shopping as discussed in the other thread.  Again, no idea what the Angels are going to do, but they've been aggressive with spending and tried to get under thresholds last year. 

RHed OF bat: Kevin Pillar (Min 2024$$)

LHRP (with DC out until September): Matt Moore (9M)

RHRP: Estevez (6.75M)

LHSP: Anderson (13M, 13M in 2025)

You also have Bob's offseason target, Robert Stephenson out for the year, owed a bunch of money, but his contract kicked in a clause for 2.5M in 2027 (11M, 11M - '25, 11M-'26 and 2.5M - '27)  

That would basically clean off the top of their books in 2024 this side of Rendon and Trout plus 2025 contracts of Anderson and Stephenson.

Stephenson is negative value (buy low) and Pillar, Moore and Estevez don't bring much other than salary relief and modest returns.  Anderson is something.  If the Angels ate half the cash on Stephenson you could start a deal with someone like Beavers.  You balance the trade with a couple other players.

#52 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 03:04 PM

The same Colson Montgomery hitting .221 in the hitting rich environment at Charlotte in AAA and who many question if he has the range for SS? And they might not need Norby because they have Ramos. Is that the same Ramos who had a .579 OPS in AA and a .619 OPS in AAA. Yeah, the WS seem all set.

I'm not saying it's a great plan.  I think the CWS suck and their entire Organization needs an over-haul.  ....but they don't need my permission or yours.  They are going to do what they are going to do and the players they have will be the players they have as the baseline. 

Chris Getz ain't going to Jerry Reinsdorf and explain to him why he's so bad at his job.  He's going to sell "here's how we're going to win" and part of that is the young players they have finding their footing.

You want them to be in the box that's convenient for what you want them to do for you.    

#53 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 03:13 PM

I'm not relying on Luzardo to even be pitching in Septembler, much less pitching well. He hasn't been healthy or good all season, and the Marlins have no motivation to trade him when his value is at its very lowest.

Agreed to a point...but everyone wants to buy high.  If you liked the guy before, what's changed?  12 starts?  

If you want the longer answer on McClanahan from the other thread, I'll do it later tonight, but you buy low on players you believe in.  Everyone has risks.  You attack the risk management you are comfortable with.  Buy the players you like when their value is lower, not higher.

Go back to this list of 10 guys and ask yourself how much any of them cost 12 months ago or 6 months ago versus today.

#54 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 03:59 PM

I'm not saying it's a great plan.  I think the CWS suck and their entire Organization needs an over-haul.  ....but they don't need my permission or yours.  They are going to do what they are going to do and the players they have will be the players they have as the baseline. 

Chris Getz ain't going to Jerry Reinsdorf and explain to him why he's so bad at his job.  He's going to sell "here's how we're going to win" and part of that is the young players they have finding their footing.

You want them to be in the box that's convenient for what you want them to do for you.    

Gotcha. I want the other team to be in a box but when you work one of your fantasy three team deals it perfectly accommodates all three teams. Must be nice.

#55 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 04:56 PM

BTW. Similar trade last year. Rays have tons of pitcher injuries. Trade Kyle Manzardo straight up for Aaron Civale, historically, a mediocre pitcher who had a great first half with a 2.37 ERA in 13 starts and one year of service time. Manzardo was rated #74 before the 2023 season by mlbpipeline and around 60 by BA. Kjerstad is currently ranked 21 by mlb and 24 by BA. Another difference was Manzardo was having a rough go of it in AAA while Kjerstad is having an MVP type of year.

So, again, the WS may ask for Kjerstad. They might do better but I doubt it. There’s no reason to overpay just because we can. Norby and Bradfield or some combination of similarly rated prospects seems more than fair. Buyer beware. Civale put up a 5+ ERA with the Rays after the trade

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,450 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 05:09 PM

You dont need to give up Kjersted to get Fedde. If dude said that (I refuse to read his posts) its just dude being dumb.

#57 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 07:21 PM

“I’ve got a sense of urgency to win baseball games, and part of that is just taking care of the whole organization,” Elias said Wednesday. “The deadline is the deadline, even before we have injuries. I think it would have been pretty naive to think that the injury number would be zero, especially with some of these guys coming into camp banged up. So, this isn’t coming out of left field because of that.

“We’re looking at the whole picture when it comes to this trade deadline — where our team’s at, what our health looks like, where we can upgrade, what the market looks like, which teams are selling, what are they asking for. It’s so complicated. It’s just kind of hard for me to make sweeping statements and opine about it, especially in June. But we have, what I think, is a really good, hard-working front office, and we’re going to do our job.”

You have a sense of urgency to win baseball games?  You do?  How would we know that?  Why are you talking about this stuff as if you'll start working on it in a month?

I've defended status of the roster up to this point.  Means, Bradish and Wells are all out for the year.  DC is now out (apparently) until Sep.  Time to do your job.

#58 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 07:35 PM

You have a sense of urgency to win baseball games? You do? How would we know that? Why are you talking about this stuff as if you'll start working on it in a month?

I've defended status of the roster up to this point. Means, Bradish and Wells are all out for the year. DC is now out (apparently) until Sep. Time to do your job.

You’re angry because he doesn’t keep you in the loop? That’s ironic because you are kind of loopy. He may have been busy working on the Hays and Wells’ extensions. Give the man a break.

How would we know he has an urgency to win games? 49 wins before the halfway point? But we know Fantasy GM Dude could do better. If only he would answer your emails. Like this one.

Dear Mr. Elias,

Are you an idiot? I’ve been telling you to extend Wells and Hays to maintain the leadership of this team. Why do you sit on your ass doing nothing. I’m in 25 fantasy leagues and am even in 2nd place in one of them. There’s a lot to learn from me but you have to be willing to listen. I can send you a longer version. Just ask. Or text me at ***-***-**** and ask for more details. The password is swordfish.

Sincerely,

Dude
GM of the Fantasy League Rockin Rollers

P.S. That’s a 12U league but it’s the internet so wtf knows I’m over 12. LOL

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,450 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 07:37 PM

Confirmed loopy.

#60 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 07:51 PM

You’re angry because he doesn’t keep you in the loop? That’s ironic because you are kind of loopy. He may have been busy working on the Hays and Wells’ extensions. Give the man a break.

What's the difference between working hard and doing nothing and doing nothing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=