• SonicAttack likes this

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 09:31 PM

Norfolk aint letting the Os get over on them in runs scored. 12 more tonight. All the prospects had multi hit games. ROFL

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,376 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 March 2024 - 09:50 PM

Just checked the box scores and a couple of things to note other than the general mashing:

- Norby has started in both corner OF spots
- Stowers started in CF today
  • BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and SonicAttack like this

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 09:13 PM

Granted, Holliday is gonna get a lot of reps at 2b to start the year but it seems Norby has transitioned to LF.  THink he has played all Norfolk's games there. 

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:01 PM

4/3... was going to post some box score notes from Norfolk but frankly it would take too long. Just look at the box score lol.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:05 PM

4/3... was going to post some box score notes from Norfolk but frankly it would take too long. Just look at the box score lol.

I wonder if the IL league avg OPS is gonna be quite high again like it was last year. Doesnt really take away from what these guys are doing. They clearly can hit AAA pitching. They are either AAAA guys or legit MLB hitters.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:05 PM

Stowers has accumulated a lot of three homer games. I think that's at least his third, counting the one in ST this year.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:22 PM

Also makes me wonder just how big of a split there is between AAA and AAAA pitching. We hear how tough it is to find pitching. Maybe thats no exagerration.

#11 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 06:49 AM

I wonder if the IL league avg OPS is gonna be quite high again like it was last year. Doesnt really take away from what these guys are doing. They clearly can hit AAA pitching. They are either AAAA guys or legit MLB hitters.

I believe that will be the case.  These are stupid numbers right now, obviously no one expects that to continue.

It was interesting to me that I think Norby had an OPS+ of 109 last year.  Which is obviously good, but not earth-shattering or anything like that.  I don't know why the IL suddenly became such a hitter's league but I do think it's important to keep that in context.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:18 AM

It was interesting to me that I think Norby had an OPS+ of 109 last year.  Which is obviously good, but not earth-shattering or anything like that. 

Norby started really slow last year, had a bad April and then just ok May and June before turning it on for the remainder of the season.  333/449/783 (~96 OPS+) through June.  385/533/918 (~130 OPS+) the rest of the way.  

But a very good point about the IL and league averages. OPS was nearly 800 last year for the league after being 750 and 743 the couple years prior.  Not unheard of for there to be spikes or valleys, for example the IL was 787 in 2019 but only 708 in 2018.  Will be interesting to see the overall run environment this season.  We used to hear about Norfolk's stadium and climate suppressing offense a lot back in the past, but haven't heard that mentioned as much recently.  Not sure if anything changed, or if the idea of it as a pitchers park were overblown in the past.

• glenn__davis likes this

#13 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:39 AM

Norby started really slow last year, had a bad April and then just ok May and June before turning it on for the remainder of the season.  333/449/783 (~96 OPS+) through June.  385/533/918 (~130 OPS+) the rest of the way.  

But a very good point about the IL and league averages. OPS was nearly 800 last year for the league after being 750 and 743 the couple years prior.  Not unheard of for there to be spikes or valleys, for example the IL was 787 in 2019 but only 708 in 2018.  Will be interesting to see the overall run environment this season.  We used to hear about Norfolk's stadium and climate suppressing offense a lot back in the past, but haven't heard that mentioned as much recently.  Not sure if anything changed, or if the idea of it as a pitchers park were overblown in the past.

"Good comms" as my kids would say on Norby.  Didn't realize his 1st half/2nd half splits were so extreme.

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,612 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 08:09 AM

Robo-umps

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:07 PM

Robo-umps

How does roboumps make hitters so much better. Big side eye to that. The AAA pitching has to be particularly bad or behind the hitters.

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,612 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:21 PM

How does roboumps make hitters so much better. Big side eye to that. The AAA has to be particularly bad or behind the hitters.

Thats just from the reporting I've seen, apparently it has helped the hitters more than the pitchers. I'm sure its a combination of things. 

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:26 PM

I will say if we lock in robomps we need to go back to a bigger vertical strikezone. I can see where it helps the hitters a bit more if the verticality of the strikezone is too small. Not saying we need to go back to armpits to shins but call the letter high strike. Especially since you're not going to get anything off the blacks of the plate.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 11:55 PM

Do yourself a favor and watch the highlight of Mayo's HR last night. This guy is offically a 2035 guy, Maybe the guy. Holliday is gonna be a very good MLB SS/2b. Mayo has a chance to be an offensive juggernaut. Lets remember he just turned 22.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#19 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,612 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 April 2024 - 07:06 AM

Do yourself a favor and watch the highlight of Mayo's HR last night. This guy is offically a 2035 guy, Maybe the guy, Holliday is gonna be a very good MLB SS/2b. Mayo has a chance to be an offensive juggernaut. Lets remember he just turned 22.

Ridiculous bat speed. Semi-routinely hitting balls over 110 mph. And I know for a fact he will be open to an extension.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 07:24 AM

Hes big. Hes menacing. He just looks the part in the box. And yeah he rips the baseball. Plenty of these guys are proving or will to be good ball players. Hes my favorite and I really do think he may end up the best offensively.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=