#2 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:07 PM

The lack of ABs at Norfolk for Holliday is a big factor here. 

Rose....I know the service time rules have changed over the last few years but things can still be manipulated to a point. Do you think starting Holliday's clock is a factor in his potential opening day status?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 04:00 PM

I think the clock has to be a factor. He can be sent down for 3 weeks and then doesn't get full year of service unless he is top-2 in ROY voting. Downside of doing that is if he does win the award, you'd miss out on a draft pick. I'd rather have the year of control than the draft pick, but gotta consider odds of both outcomes. Mostly it depends on how ready he is for the promotion. I'd send him down unless he bashes the door down.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 February 2024 - 04:37 PM

Solid logic there Mackus.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 05:54 PM

Ill risk losing the draft pick going for the 7th year. Every time. Call him up in May and if he wins the ROY or finishes 2nd I can live with it. Means the team likely finshed well in the standings.

I kinda think hes going to make the team out of ST though. I think they believe in him that much and they dont want to lose the draft pick like they did with Adley. BTW I know we debated it a few years ago but I genuinely believe them when they say Adley was gonna break camp in '22 had he not had the setback.

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,589 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:13 PM

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make it at this point.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:19 PM

I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make it at this point.

Why do you say that?

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:35 PM

If a rookie breaks camp and he finishes 2nd in ROY do you get a draft pick for that or is it only the ROY? Its kinda BS he can finish 2nd and you lose the service year like Adley but you dont get a reward if he breaks camp and finishes 2nd.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:19 PM

If a rookie breaks camp and he finishes 2nd in ROY do you get a draft pick for that or is it only the ROY? Its kinda BS he can finish 2nd and you lose the service year like Adley but you dont get a reward if he breaks camp and finishes 2nd.

Nope, no pick. But you can get picks for top-3 MVP or Cy Young awards in subsequent years. A player can only win his team one pick though, so we won't reap any extra benefits from Gunnar finishing top-3.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:26 PM

Nope, no pick. But you can get picks for top-3 MVP or Cy Young awards in subsequent years. A player can only win his team one pick though, so we won't reap any extra benefits from Gunnar finishing top-3.

I had no clue about the MVP or CY compensation. How long are you eligible for that. All 6 years??

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:27 PM

I had no clue about the MVP or CY compensation. How long are you eligible for that. All 6 years??

Until arbitration, so 3 years.

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:30 PM

Meh. That adds some incentive for sure. Still not enough for me not to go for the 7th year

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 07:44 PM

Ill say this. If they are going to go with Jackson out of camp they need to commit to him in a big way. Its your job kid. All the leash in the world. That goes for whenever they call him up. So dont be wishy washy about it. If youre a bit unsure then send him down for awhile
  • BobPhelan likes this

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,589 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 February 2024 - 08:48 PM

Why do you say that?

What they’re saying about him but also how they’re handling him. Started the first game with all the vets from 2023, batted 6th today, getting him ready to play second base every day.

Mayo playing like he wants a job too early on.

#15 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,654 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 08:59 PM

Where does Mayo fit? He should be ready pretty soon if not already. Is he still looked at as a 3B? Hays and Santander seemed to have corner OF on lockdown. Mountcastle/O'Hearn/Adley between 1B and DH.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:01 PM

Where does Mayo fit? He should be ready pretty soon if not already. Is he still looked at as a 3B? Hays and Santander seemed to have corner OF on lockdown. Mountcastle/O'Hearn/Adley between 1B and DH.

Mayo isnt breaking with the club. Eventually he will fit in as DH/1b/3b mix. Enough ABs to go around with off days. Def ABs to go around if Ohearn, Westburg, or Mountcastle arent hitting well

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,654 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:05 PM

Realistically - Adley, Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, Westburg, Mullins, Santander, Mountcastle should all be 500+ AB guys. Gonna be a lot of lineup and roster juggling to see that they all get their PT.

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,654 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:07 PM

And that's not even counting guys like Cowser and Kjerstad. Huge log jam here this year and next. Obviously if the young guys pan out Hays and Santander are the most easy to let go.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:08 PM

Realistically - Adley, Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo, Westburg, Mullins, Santander, Mountcastle should all be 500+ AB guys. Gonna be a lot of lineup and roster juggling to see that they all get their PT.

If Mounty doesnt hit better vs RHP I cant say he should get 500 ABs. 

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 26 February 2024 - 09:09 PM

And that's not even counting guys like Cowser and Kjerstad. Huge log jam here this year and next. Obviously if the young guys pan out Hays and Santander are the most easy to let go.

I mean you have to assume Santander is gone next year. Kjerstad and Cowser arent going to have anything handed to them this year but a few spots are known to be wide open next year.  if the guys in the Show are healthy and performing neither may  get many MLB ABs this year. But odds are injuries or performance will open up things for one or both

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=