142 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 11:33 AM

I guess if he’s throwing that’s a potentially good sign. Of course Felix was “throwing” in September too.

Yeah that's a fair point.  Guess what type of throwing they are doing makes a big difference.  Unlike Felix, the timing here is such that you'd really want to do it soon if you're gonna do it so if he needs surgery he can hopefully be back by early 2025.  I don't think they'll wait like they did with Felix, and if so we'd know more sooner.  If he's been resting for a month already, then we're probably close to knowing if rest & rehab has a chance of being sufficient or not.

#22 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 11:46 AM

Absolutely need to sign another SP now. Even if it is another Gibson/Lyles type one year guy.

Bradish may not be lost for year but O's should act like he will be.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:07 PM

If I am Elias I am calling Snell and offering 1 year, $40M.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:20 PM

You have to go sign Montgomery. You need Bradish level production or close to it. You also need Wells at the back of the pen. If we are filling in internally you put Irvin in the spot. Wells is needed in the pen

Not happening. But Ryu or Lorenzen might have become options.

#25 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:23 PM

Guy was so good. Was gonna continue to be good. How the F are we just figuring this out. Hes been throwing some in the winter. Had to feel some discomfort. This all shouldve been handled before ST

I'm sure the Orioles were aware of the situation, but didn't want word getting out. If it had, the price for Corbin Burnes might have suddenly gone up. And before anyone mentions Dylan Cease, I say no. The White Sox were reportedly outlandish in their demands before; if they know the Orioles are dealing from desperation, that'll only push the price even higher.

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:23 PM

Said this on the ST thread. Shouldnt be two threads with the same talk. If we are to assume Means issue is still something with the elbow I just think thats really concerning. At least with Bradish you can hope he will respond to treatment.

#27 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:31 PM

At this point I am writing off Bradish and Means for 2024.  The O's need to get another SP, but I guess Irvin and maybe Wells will get the SP spots if all goes well in ST.  Ugh...

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:48 PM

In my defense I put a question mark after my thread title. But let's be real. UCL tears almost always lead to TJ sooner or later. Exceptions prove the rule.

#29 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 12:51 PM

Bradish is a top 5 most important player on the team, and one of the hardest to replace. Feels like this injury probably knocks 4 or 5 wins off their season.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:26 PM

In my defense I put a question mark after my thread title. But let's be real. UCL tears almost always lead to TJ sooner or later. Exceptions prove the rule.

Im assuming you arent the one who edited it so someone didnt like how it was worded.

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:26 PM

Bradish is a top 5 most important player on the team, and one of the hardest to replace. Feels like this injury probably knocks 4 or 5 wins off their season.

Lol

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:28 PM

Burnes added 3, so I don't think losing Bradish (if they lose Bradish) equals 4 or 5.

If Bradish is done, call it a wash...  they'd still be a contender, and maybe even the AL East favorite, just with reduced odds.

#33 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:42 PM

Losing Bradish wouldn't be devastating, but it definitely hurts.

#34 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:44 PM

Basically in the rotation we've replaced Bradish and Gibson with Burnes and Means (assuming Means is mostly healthy, jury still out there), which is fine and doesn't kill the season, just not as good as we hoped. A big strength a week ago is now just decent.

And that's IF Bradish is out for the year, which isn't certain yet of course.

#35 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 01:47 PM

Can't assume anything from Means, either. This wouldn't hurt nearly as bad if Means was healthy and ready to go.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 02:21 PM

It's a huge huge blow if he's gone.  

But I thought they were a contender without Burnes, so it would pretty much place you back there. 

Maybe they'll try again with Cease. 

• 85Knight likes this

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:06 PM

From the Banner article: https://www.thebalti...PIDVLMUB3DOIUI/

According to a National Institutes of Health study of 50 athletes who suffered UCL injuries, a PRP therapy injection — the shot Bradish received — is an effective non-surgical route for partial tears of the ligament. Twenty-four of the 39 players (61.5%) in the study with Type I and II tears, which are less severe, returned to play without requiring surgery. However, the injection was not effective for those with a Type IV injury, which corresponds with a tear in more than one location.
  • BSLMikeLowe, Mashed Potatoes, Mike in STL and 3 others like this

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:21 PM

It's a huge huge blow if he's gone.

But I thought they were a contender without Burnes, so it would pretty much place you back there.

Maybe they'll try again with Cease.

Unless they have reason to be super pessimistic about the rest & rehab approach for Bradish (which they might have depending on severity of tear), I think the play is to hope for best case outcomes and that both are back by mid-year and then if not, to use the deadline to fill the holes.

#39 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 03:55 PM

From the Banner article: https://www.thebalti...PIDVLMUB3DOIUI/

According to a National Institutes of Health study of 50 athletes who suffered UCL injuries, a PRP therapy injection — the shot Bradish received — is an effective non-surgical route for partial tears of the ligament. Twenty-four of the 39 players (61.5%) in the study with Type I and II tears, which are less severe, returned to play without requiring surgery. However, the injection was not effective for those with a Type IV injury, which corresponds with a tear in more than one location.

This really sucks.

I wonder how many of those athletes were major league pitchers. Even it they all were just hearing UCL is scary news. It doesn't sound like Means is recovering very well. I guess atleast we know what we're facing before the season starts.

#40 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 04:07 PM

Frankly, I've never counted on Means. Anything we get from him is bonus IMHO. But the Bradish thing is a crusher. An absolute f-----g crusher.  First Bautista, now him. And a big pitch for him is the slider, which kills elbows.  I hope one of Johnson, McDermott, Povich steps up. They'll need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=