499 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:03 PM

Instead of worrying about point spreads, let's just get the damn win.  Can we all agree on that at least? 

• Ravens2006 likes this

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:05 PM

Yeah just get the damn win and stop expecting blowouts. You got it now

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:13 PM

My confidence level reflects expecting to cover a big spread, but will be equally as pleased with a 1-point win.

There are no game grades in the postseason. It's just pass/fail.
  • Mashed Potatoes and DuffMan like this

#24 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:14 PM

10-14 point spread is a blowout?  (LOL)

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:26 PM

Lol at thinking a double digit playoff win isnt a blowout. Whatever. Mackus is right its win or lose. Pass or fail. Thats all that matters. Just setting yourself up to be disappointed if you  expect comfortable wins. 

Humprey missed practice today. Not a great sign for him playing

#26 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:52 PM

I never expect comfortable wins from the Ravens. When it happens, it sure is fun, though.

#27 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 03:53 PM

A few interesting things about the Texans on defense.

23rd in passing yards allowed, first in passing TD allowed.

6th in rushing yards allowed, 27th in rushing TD allowed.

So roll down the field to the redzone with the pass... run it in from there.  Sounds solid to me.  :)

• DuffMan likes this

#28 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:09 PM

I'll wait until later in the week to worry about Humphrey.

#29 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:30 PM

Game time temperature- 24 degrees

Winds- NNW 15-20 MPH

Windchill- 10 degrees

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 04:48 PM

I aint gonna lie I worry a bit about Lamar in really cold weather. maybe someone can come up with a really cold game where he plays well. The one that sticks out in my mind is the Buffalo Divisional game

#31 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 05:24 PM

I aint gonna lie I worry a bit about Lamar in really cold weather. maybe someone can come up with a really cold game where he plays well. The one that sticks out in my mind is the Buffalo Divisional game

All Buffalo game aside, I do think Lamar has played well in cold weather games.  At least that's how I remember most of them.  Maybe someone can throw some stats at me that say different but Saturday's temperatures don't concern me that much.  If it was snowing, that would be a whole other dynamic to worry about.  I'm more curious how the Texans respond to the cold. 

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,565 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 06:48 PM

I'd like to see a really strong run game. Maybe get Dalvin Cook involved. I just wish we had a game to work him into action.

I'd love for Lamar to have under 200 yds passing, 16 of 22 or something like that and we win 33-13.

Just a competent beatdown with the run. Especially if the weather is not conducive to passing,

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 06:54 PM

And Hou is much better against the run if your stats above are accurate. The conditions lend themselves to slower paced lower scoring affair. Which probably means a tighter game. Which also makes staying even or winning the turnover battle crucial.

#34 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 06:58 PM

I'd like to see a really strong run game. Maybe get Dalvin Cook involved. I just wish we had a game to work him into action.

I'd love for Lamar to have under 200 yds passing, 16 of 22 or something like that and we win 33-13.

Just a competent beatdown with the run. Especially if the weather is not conducive to passing,

We'll see how it plays out but with the wind swirling around M&T and everyone's hands being cold, you would think both teams would want to go heavy run.  If that's how it plays out, it definitely favors the Ravens, regardless of Houston's decent ranking against the run. Maybe this is the game Lamar goes off with his legs.  But who knows, logic never matters much in this league.  What screams for a 14-10 score could wind up 35-28.  

#35 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 01:08 PM

We'll see how it plays out but with the wind swirling around M&T and everyone's hands being cold, you would think both teams would want to go heavy run. If that's how it plays out, it definitely favors the Ravens, regardless of Houston's decent ranking against the run. Maybe this is the game Lamar goes off with his legs. But who knows, logic never matters much in this league. What screams for a 14-10 score could wind up 35-28.

I'm not sure it definitely favors the Ravens. The one weakness down the stretch was the ability to consistently shut down the run game of opponents. Not including Pitt since so many starters sat. But Miami racked up 154 yards rushing, and Achane averaged 7.6 ypc. SF had 121 with McCaffery averaging 7.4 YPC. And the Rams had 128 yards rushing and Williams averaged 4.6 YPC. They effectively shut down Jacksonville's run game in between. But everyone else had really good, to great success running the ball.

The 3 teams that were effective all run similar style offenses as well. Shanahan, McVay and McDaniel all come from the same offensive coaching tree, and all run similar style offenses.

If I'm Houston, I'm studying what those teams did, and I'm trying to replicate that. If Houston comes in ripping off chunk gains in the running game, this could get uncomfortable for the Ravens quick.

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 01:15 PM

I feel like, in those games, the defense got ran on early but really shut things down after the first couple of drives. Also, not having Hamilton available or leaving early with injury really hurt in a couple of those games.

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 01:18 PM

I'm not sure it definitely favors the Ravens. The one weakness down the stretch was the ability to consistently shut down the run game of opponents. Not including Pitt since so many starters sat. But Miami racked up 154 yards rushing, and Achane averaged 7.6 ypc. SF had 121 with McCaffery averaging 7.4 YPC. And the Rams had 128 yards rushing and Williams averaged 4.6 YPC. They effectively shut down Jacksonville's run game in between. But everyone else had really good, to great success running the ball.

The 3 teams that were effective all run similar style offenses as well. Shanahan, McVay and McDaniel all come from the same offensive coaching tree, and all run similar style offenses.

If I'm Houston, I'm studying what those teams did, and I'm trying to replicate that. If Houston comes in ripping off chunk gains in the running game, this could get uncomfortable for the Ravens quick.

Slowick is from the same tree so he surely will study those games. 3.7 YPC on the year for Houston though, so that's a bit different than McCaffrey, Achane, and Williams. Williams and Achane actually had below their season YPC against the Ravens, FWIW. Devin Singletary is fine, but not McCaffrey, hopefully.

#38 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 02:08 PM

I know a lot of people are somewhat despondent over the fact that the usually stout Ravens run defense wasn't all that great this year but the bottom line is they led the league in allowing the fewest points.  That's all that matters and why they went 13-4.  MacDonald runs a unique strategy in that he prioritizes protecting the back end of a defense and keeping the opposition out of the endzone.  If he has to give up some chunk runs, so be it.  He'll eventually adjust during the game to minimize that but if they're not giving up a lot of points, he considers it effective.  If you're going to worry about Stroud, it's him passing down the field to Collins.  That's going to be a problem if they're not applying pressure on him.  He had an amazing rookie year but he also had some games where he looked flat out bad.  So, that tells me he can be rattled like any rookie can be and you can take him out of his safe environment with different tactics.  I can assure the Ravens will try to utilize all of them.  This game is absolutely all on the Ravens.  If they lose, it will because they beat themselves.  If they play a clean game, do what they do, it will be too much for Houston to overcome.  Not because of effort but because they just don't have the overall talent that Baltimore brings to the fight. 

#39 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 02:13 PM

Probably stating the obvious, but a good start would probably do wonders I think.  Stroud is good and will get better, I think the kid has "it" (being poise) but time will tell.  That said, get an early 7, couple stops, maybe get another 3... 10-0 lead, crowd crazy on defense, wind chills approaching single digits... that will put some "Oh this is a different vibe, and it's not a good one" in a lot of their heads.  Good or not, the magnitude of that situation will be a big hill for him and that offense to climb.

• NewMarketSean and jamesdean like this

#40 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 January 2024 - 02:32 PM

I'll wait until later in the week to worry about Humphrey.

Meh he hasn't exactly been great down the stretch here.   Hamilton being 100% is more important if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=