Photo

Orioles Searching for Pitching-for real (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 12:37 PM

If they do what they SHOULD do and extend Rutschman, Basallo becomes expendable for a Luzardo deal. I wouldn't trade him for Cease, though.

Would love to see a Rutschman extension, but I think that ship has sailed.  If it was gonna happen it would've been a year ago or longer.  

#42 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 January 2024 - 03:56 PM

This is a bit off topic, but Basallo is mentioned frequently (here and other places). I can't help but wonder, is he the future behind the plate, or is Adley still the Man?

I think Basallo gets here in September to set up for a 2025 RoY run and I think him and Adley are going to make maybe the best catching tandem in MLB history? Basallo can play 40-50 games behind the plate and split the rest of his time between 1B, DH, and maybe even RF. I don’t think he’s going to move off catcher completely anytime soon.
  • weird-O likes this

#43 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 January 2024 - 03:57 PM

Would love to see a Rutschman extension, but I think that ship has sailed. If it was gonna happen it would've been a year ago or longer.

I still think it happens before he hits arbitration. 6-8 years.

#44 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:05 PM

No problem with that....as long as they extend Gunnar first.

#45 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:07 PM

As physically demanding as catching is - if Basallo's bat is legit as it appears to be - I'd move him to 1B/RF ASAP.

I'd much rather have an elite defensive catcher with a suspect offensive tool than a pretty good defensive catcher with elite hit tool who's limited due to the wear and tear of the position.

#46 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:26 PM

Even less likely than Rutschman, IMO.

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:29 PM

As physically demanding as catching is - if Basallo's bat is legit as it appears to be - I'd move him to 1B/RF ASAP.

I'd much rather have an elite defensive catcher with a suspect offensive tool than a pretty good defensive catcher with elite hit tool who's limited due to the wear and tear of the position.

Why not two elite catchers who can avoid the rigors of the position by DH half the time?

I'd do more like 65/35 in favor of Rutschman from an assumption of his defensive advantages. 100-105 starts for Adley and the rest for Basallo would be cool. Just make sure your util guy has a set of gear for the rare times the catcher gets hurt mod-game and you'd lose the DH.

Basallo still has to hit at AA, so don't wanna get too far ahead of schedule. I still prefer Mayo to him overall, but would change if he destroys AA at 19 years old.
  • mweb08 and makoman like this

#48 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:35 PM

Even less likely than Rutschman, IMO.

I suspect that's probably correct.

#49 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 05:07 PM

What makes you think this?

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 05:51 PM

Blind hope. It only happens if the Os are sold. It is as close to zero % as it gets under an Angelos ownership

#51 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, just have to extend that *checks notes* Scott Boras client, and then, no problem, the rest of the offseason can proceed from there.

#52 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 07:18 PM

I read that Boras doesn't like his clients extending. That and, as noted, Angelos ownership, does make Gunnar extension unlikely. 

#53 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 January 2024 - 07:05 AM

Makes too much sense on both sides.

#54 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 07:13 AM

Makes too much sense on both sides.

I don't think it makes much sense for Rutschman to sign the type of deal that Angelos will authorize.  It would not be all that advantageous to lock himself into $50M for his first two FA years and then only hit the market as a soon-to-be 32 y/o catcher.  I can't envision Angelos going bigger than that.

• TwentyThirtyFive and makoman like this

#55 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 09:07 AM

Any combination of Boras client and Angelos name on ownership documentation is basically like throwing any chance of an early extension for good / great young players in a Fort Knox caliber safe, melting the key, and dropping it in the Mariana Trench.

• bmore_ken likes this

#56 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:31 AM

Less than a week left for Imanaga to sign. I have zero expectation that the O's are involved there, but his signing would take one more mid-rotation option off the market and maybe get teams ready to pull the trigger on these trades or the other FA pitchers.

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:49 PM

I believe dude talked about a similar deal, but the Mariners have just dealt Robbie Ray to the Giants.  Giants are sending Mitch Haniger and Anthony Descalfini, so its pretty clearly just a salary dump by Seattle. 

Ray has 3/$73M left on his deal with an opt-out clause after 2024.  Haniger is making $20M this year with a $15.5M player option for 2025 that he'll almost certainly pick up.  DeScalfini is making $12M.

I'm not sure I care about missing out on this opportunity, but for a fair point of comparison on cost, I think we probably could've gotten Seattle to give up Ray for nothing and kick in at least half the money he's owed.

• Mike B likes this

#58 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 03:13 PM

I think Basallo gets here in September to set up for a 2025 RoY run and I think him and Adley are going to make maybe the best catching tandem in MLB history? Basallo can play 40-50 games behind the plate and split the rest of his time between 1B, DH, and maybe even RF. I don’t think he’s going to move off catcher completely anytime soon.

It'll be great to watch until Adley moves on to his next team. 

#59 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 03:14 PM

Any combination of Boras client and Angelos name on ownership documentation is basically like throwing any chance of an early extension for good / great young players in a Fort Knox caliber safe, melting the key, and dropping it in the Mariana Trench.

Amen brother

#60 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 03:34 PM

Should maybe start tracking "good" options that are left.  Trade targets are harder to pin down, as nobody has to be traded, but can at least tally some of the options we've discussed.

FAs:

Snell

Montgomery

Imanaga

Stroman

Trades targets:

Luzardo

Burnes

Cease

Bieber

Gilbert

Feel free to suggest any others that would be exciting adds.  

I want to specifically exclude any "meh" additions like Jared Lorenzen or Sean Manaea.  Maybe better than nothing, but I only want to see how many of the actually good targets are still out there and could lead to a positive offseason overall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=