Photo

Orioles Searching for Pitching-for real (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#1 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:09 PM

MLB rumors: Orioles active in trade talks for pitchers (msn.com)

Orioles 'very active’ in trade conversations to bolster pitching staff (msn.com)

A bunch of articles claim the O's are really in the hunt for somebody good to place in the rotation.

The rumor for Miami LH Luzardo is particularly interesting.

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:36 PM

I don't care about "active."

Results or it doesn't matter.

No offense to you for posting this of course. I'm just done with hearing about how hard they're "trying." They have the best GD farm system in the majors and the window is wide open. Get it done.
  • BSLSteveBirrer, ivanbalt and CantonJester like this

#3 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:43 PM

I get the feeling this is more than just that. Multiple writers on these articles. The hubbub over the O's for sale came from one Bloomburg article. That's the kind of thing I don't take too seriously. 

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:44 PM

Teams won’t come off of ridiculous demands until ST gets close. Double edged sword of having a stacked farm system.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:48 PM

MLB rumors: Orioles active in trade talks for pitchers (msn.com)

Orioles 'very active’ in trade conversations to bolster pitching staff (msn.com)

A bunch of articles claim the O's are really in the hunt for somebody good to place in the rotation.

The rumor for Miami LH Luzardo is particularly interesting.

I asked for Luzardo last July. I'd love him as the addition. Hope it happens. Trade is obviously the only route here IMO. And I don't blame them. The money being thrown at bad-to-mediocre arms is insane right now.

• SBTarheel and BobPhelan like this

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:52 PM

Luzardo for Ortiz/Westburg, Norby, Hays, and Stowers. A top 50 prospect/Westbrug, a top 100 prospect, a solid OF with a couple years of control, and a lottery ticket type OF.

#7 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 January 2024 - 01:55 PM

I asked for Luzardo last July. I'd love him as the addition. Hope it happens. Trade is obviously the only route here IMO. And I don't blame them. The money being thrown at bad-to-mediocre arms is insane right now.

One million percent my top target if I'm in the Orioles front office. 

In an AL only Fantasy League I'm in, we're allowed one "super keeper", a player we can keep for 5 years, with no price hike. The catch is if they get traded to the NL, you lose the position for the length of the deal.. Anyway, long story not so short, I super kept Luzardo 3-4 years over Ohtani. Obviously a dumb move, but it'd be worth it if the Orioles could get him somehow!!

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#8 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:04 PM

In an AL only Fantasy League I'm in, we're allowed one "super keeper", a player we can keep for 5 years, with no price hike. The catch is if they get traded to the NL, you lose the position for the length of the deal.. Anyway, long story not so short, I super kept Luzardo 3-4 years over Ohtani. Obviously a dumb move, but it'd be worth it if the Orioles could get him somehow!!

That sounds like an infuriating league.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:05 PM

Luzardo for Ortiz/Westburg, Norby, Hays, and Stowers. A top 50 prospect/Westbrug, a top 100 prospect, a solid OF with a couple years of control, and a lottery ticket type OF.

Smash accept all day. Just depends on how realistic Miami is willing to be here. That’s a big win for the Orioles IMO, and for them, who badly need offense.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#10 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:06 PM

That sounds like an infuriating league.

Only if you do dumb things like I mentioned above. 

@beginthebegin71

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:06 PM

Ohh, a nice angle to root for this then. Hope it happens.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,515 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:26 PM

There is searching, and there is acquiring. We read about them doing the former all the time.

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 02:34 PM

Do they still do "tag day" at the stadium? I noticed many many years back an annual phenomenon of rumors of Orioles interest in some marquee FA or two, or maybe a big trade target... which inevitably failed to transpire and fell out of the headlines right after tag day.

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 03:02 PM

I didn't realize how good Luzardo was until I watched his highlights.

I don't know if that package is getting it done.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 January 2024 - 03:20 PM

Do they still do "tag day" at the stadium? I noticed many many years back an annual phenomenon of rumors of Orioles interest in some marquee FA or two, or maybe a big trade target... which inevitably failed to transpire and fell out of the headlines right after tag day.

I haven't heard anything about tag day for the past two (maybe 3) seasons.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2024 - 04:27 PM

I didn't realize how good Luzardo was until I watched his highlights.

I don't know if that package is getting it done.

I’m willing to negotiate.

#17 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 04:33 PM

I like Luzardo, but I'd go something like:  Ortiz & Stowers, or Norby, Hays, Stowers.  

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2024 - 05:00 PM

That’s definitely not getting it done.

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 05:04 PM

I hate the idea of giving up Ortiz, but realistically only so many places to play Gunnar, Holliday, Ortiz, Westburg.

I'd really like to keep Ortiz and find a way for at least him, Gunnar, and Holliday to spend a lot of time in the IF together.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 06:22 PM

Westburg  has more value than Ortiz and I think I prefer to hang onto Ortiz more anyway. Give up Cowser if thats what it takes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=