394 replies to this topic

#381 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 12:35 PM

By the way, does anyone feel silly for fretting over this game? Asking for a friend.....

I was concerned about the speed of Hill and Achane resulting in some big long strikes, and maybe 2 or 3 turnovers on offense. McDonald contained Hill with the deep secondary and then deep drop LBs later on. Stone getting that INT on the overthrow was really all about McDonald's coverage scheme.

Just keep playing it in January. You'll give some in the run game, which is hard to stomach for those who loved the 2000 defense... but it's the best scheme for this roster.
  • Mike B likes this

#382 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:07 PM

No idea what Hill has done, but I know what Rice did and he should not be honored anywhere. Men who beat women are the lowest form of life on the planet in my opinion. That woman could have died hitting her head. And please no one give me that "she forgave him" stuff. Lots of abused women forgave their abusers many times and paid for it with their lives.

I'm pretty sure Hill beat his girlfriend too.

I'd say child abusers belong in a lower circle of hell than men who beat women, but that's kind of like saying cancer is worse than heart attacks.

I will say that I would agree with you on Rice were it not for how much he has done after that incident to try to atone for what he did. It's been a minute since I read about it, but I am fairly sure he's done lots of charity and motivational speaking (or some other similar acts) out of a feeling of obligation to speak out against what he did.

Now none of that takes away what happened, but it would be a pretty sad world if we all were only judged by the single worst thing we ever did, and none of the rest of our life mattered. People deserve chances to change who they are.
  • 85Knight likes this

#383 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:14 PM

Agree. Can't believe a team with so many good players over the years chose to honor him. Even forgetting about what he did on the video, his stats were nothing special. He was an average player, nothing really special. Calling him a legend cheapens everyone who actually is good enough to be honored as such. Rice was nothing more than a good back for a few years. Not legend worthy, not even worth much more of a thought than yes he was a member of a Super Bowl winning team.

The honor was very low keyed. It wasn't mentioned very prominently on the broadcast, and it seemed like it was not even known until a day or two before the game. Biscotti made a mistake by honoring him. But it's over and done now. Just an interesting foot note for an organization that claims to take the high road.

Come on now. Rice isn't an all-time great, but he was very good for much of his career, and was part of many great Ravens teams and victories. His game against New England when Flacco was clearly hurt stands out. The Ravens also straight up do not win the super bowl (or even make the playoffs) in 2012 without him converting that famous 4th and 29 against the Chargers. He was a three time pro bowler and is almost certainly the second best back in franchise history.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#384 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:35 PM

Saying Rice was an average player is as whack as it gets.  He had a 5 year  career as a starter. He went over 2000 yards from scrimmage in 2 of those 5. Only 27 men have had 2000 yards from scrimmage. Only 17 have done it twice. He also had years of 1776 and 1621. 

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, Mackus and 2 others like this

#385 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:54 PM

The 2008-2012 Ravens don't have nearly the success they do without Ray Rice. LaDainian Tomlinson lite.

#386 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 08:01 PM

No idea what Hill has done, but I know what Rice did and he should not be honored anywhere. Men who beat women are the lowest form of life on the planet in my opinion. That woman could have died hitting her head. And please no one give me that "she forgave him" stuff. Lots of abused women forgave their abusers many times and paid for it with their lives.

Hill was kicked off the team at Oklahoma State after he beat and choked his pregnant girlfriend. He pled guilty and was sentenced to probation. He was also investigated for child abuse by the police after his three year old son suffered a broken arm. He was never charged, nor was he suspended by the NFL.

I agree with you on the Ravens honoring Rice. While I give him credit for apparently turning his life around, I don't think the team should honor a guy who knocked out his girlfriend and drug her around afterwards like a sack of potatoes. Like it or not,
the fact that it's on tape makes it worse. It's a bad look for the franchise IMO.
  • Mashed Potatoes and cprenegade like this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#387 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 08:12 PM

If Hill suffered a career altering knee injury to both legs in his next game it wouldn't be soon enough. True POS.

#388 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 08:29 PM

If Hill suffered a career altering knee injury to both legs in his next game it wouldn't be soon enough. True POS.

Yep...

#389 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Hill beat his girlfriend too.

I'd say child abusers belong in a lower circle of hell than men who beat women, but that's kind of like saying cancer is worse than heart attacks.

I will say that I would agree with you on Rice were it not for how much he has done after that incident to try to atone for what he did. It's been a minute since I read about it, but I am fairly sure he's done lots of charity and motivational speaking (or some other similar acts) out of a feeling of obligation to speak out against what he did.

Now none of that takes away what happened, but it would be a pretty sad world if we all were only judged the single worst thing we ever did, and none of the rest of our life mattered. People deserve chances to change who they are.

A man hitting a woman is completely unacceptable on all levels. It may not be well publicized but Ray Rice has done a ton of work to atone for his mistake and has been accepted back into the Raven community for several years now. I get that some things are hard to get over but I hope we don't live in a society that doesn't believe in 2nd chances. I just think a lot people haven't followed Ray Rice since that incident.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#390 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:26 PM

Isnt he doing work for one of the local tv stations for Ravens coverage? Again, I dont know all the ways he has tried to atone but this doesnt seem to be the first step the city/org has done to accept him back.

#391 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 01 January 2024 - 10:53 PM

A man hitting a woman is completely unacceptable on all levels. It may not be well publicized but Ray Rice has done a ton of work to atone for his mistake and has been accepted back into the Raven community for several years now. I get that some things are hard to get over but I hope we don't live in a society that doesn't believe in 2nd chances. I just think a lot people haven't followed Ray Rice since that incident.

Yep. Totally agree.

#392 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 02:24 AM

Well, I get that Rice probably changed his life.  And I also get that people should not simply judge a person by his worst action.  Although I do find that funny since fans in every city will judge players from their hated rivals that exact way.  

I'm happy that RIce turned his life around after that incident.  And I am not unsympathetic to what he went through.  I said at the time that I thought the Raven's organization screwed him.  It was brought out that they coached him to deny everything.  They knew the tape existed, they were hoping it wouldn't be leaked out.  The organization should have suffered more scrutiny than it did.  They killed that by cutting him immediately.  Nice way to be there for your employee.  

In the end, what is done is done.  But Ray Rice is no legend of the game.  He had some good years, but his total stats don't measure up.  He didn't do it for long enough.  And his off the field troubles should have ended any talk of him being a legend of the game.  Unless we are redefining the word legend.  

• russsnyder likes this

#393 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:28 AM

It's not NFL legends, its Ravens legends. I'm fine with anyone excluding Ray because of his off-field problems, and would've done so myself, but it's flat insane to exclude him because he wasn't a good enough player. He's still 2nd in rushing yards in team history and 6th in receiving yards. He's a legend for this franchise, as far as play is concerned.

• DuffMan, TwentyThirtyFive and SonicAttack like this

#394 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 01:14 PM

Well, I get that Rice probably changed his life. And I also get that people should not simply judge a person by his worst action. Although I do find that funny since fans in every city will judge players from their hated rivals that exact way.

I'm happy that RIce turned his life around after that incident. And I am not unsympathetic to what he went through. I said at the time that I thought the Raven's organization screwed him. It was brought out that they coached him to deny everything. They knew the tape existed, they were hoping it wouldn't be leaked out. The organization should have suffered more scrutiny than it did. They killed that by cutting him immediately. Nice way to be there for your employee.

In the end, what is done is done. But Ray Rice is no legend of the game. He had some good years, but his total stats don't measure up. He didn't do it for long enough. And his off the field troubles should have ended any talk of him being a legend of the game. Unless we are redefining the word legend.

There aren't many running backs with longer than a five year peak, and Rice's 5 year peak was better than most. He's not a legend, but he would be in the Hall of Very Good.

#395 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 January 2024 - 08:41 PM

As a player you could honor him just for the run in New England

That said, it’s ok to forgive the guy for (hopefully) one bad moment and still not bring him on the field. It was a bad look.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=