Photo

MASN: Could Orioles pivot away from trying for a No. 1 starter and lower expectations?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 December 2023 - 08:14 AM

What else is new?

Water is wet

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,011 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 08:28 AM

List of some of the FA SP still available:

Yamamoto (posting fee)

Snell (comp pick)

Montgomery

Imanaga (posting fee)

Stroman

Giolito

Lugo

Flaherty

Wacha

Manaea

Lorenzen

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,011 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 08:30 AM

Not a huge bandwidth left of guys that don't feel like total pipe dreams due to artificial cost constraints and guys that would be actually encouraging if the O's signed them. 

Maybe Imanaga is the best plausible outcome here?

• makoman likes this

#24 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 08:42 AM

Not a huge bandwidth left of guys that don't feel like total pipe dreams due to artificial cost constraints and guys that would be actually encouraging if the O's signed them.

Maybe Imanaga is the best plausible outcome here?

None of the FA guys that feel plausible feel very appealing. Trade seems like the best way this year.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 08:59 AM

Trade def the best and likely only way to get a 1, 2, or 3 SP. Though there is some chance that a guy like Giolito figures something out again.

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:01 AM

Cant deny Wacha has been a #3 the last two years as well. Doesnt give you many innings tho

#27 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:03 AM

Snell would be a great get, Giolitto maybe, the rest other then Yamamoto I'm indifferent to. 

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,011 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:18 AM

I think I can talk myself into preferring signing Imanaga to trading for Cease, especially if the trade would have to be headlined by Mayo.

Lefty with high spin rate fastball and a devastating splitter, seems like a profile the O's analytics might like.  Of course 4-5 years for $18-22M per year are numbers their owner won't like.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:25 AM

Other than the lack of plausibility, why has Jordan Montgomery not gotten much attention on here?

#30 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:32 AM

I think I can talk myself into preferring signing Imanaga to trading for Cease, especially if the trade would have to be headlined by Mayo.

Lefty with high spin rate fastball and a devastating splitter, seems like a profile the O's analytics might like.  Of course 4-5 years for $18-22M per year are numbers their owner won't like.

I know you have to give up something to get something, but it's doubtful I'd give up Mayo or Bassalo (or Holliday) for anybody. I don't know, but I'd need to be getting more than 2 years of control of somebody. I still believe in Cowser but feel like the upside is greater with others so I'd rather trade him.

#31 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:32 AM

Other than the lack of plausibility, why has Jordan Montgomery not gotten much attention on here?

After his post season performance, he's well beyond what the Angelos family would be willing to pay

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#32 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:38 AM

I haven't thought about FA all that much this year so far, yes he is appealing but does not seem at all plausible. MLBTR projected 6/150, fangraphs 5/140.

#33 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:38 AM

ross-pivot-friends.gif

• Dr. FLK and weird-O like this

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,011 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:44 AM

I'd prefer him to Nola.  But generally, I think if I'm going to be spending the money that Nola got or Montgomery will get, I'd prefer to go a little further and land Yamamoto or Snell (less enthusiastic about Snell given his injury history).

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:50 AM

I haven't thought about FA all that much this year so far, yes he is appealing but does not seem at all plausible. MLBTR projected 6/150, fangraphs 5/140.

Yeah, of course not particularly plausible.
I don't think that's exclusively a JA issue either.

Now while those contract numbers aren't the most appealing, I will say that I'm not as concerned with sizable salaries in 2026 and beyond as I was last offseason. The primary reason is that I don't see them keeping Adley, Gunnar, Bradish, Grayson, Holliday, etc to the point where they get very expensive so there's not such a need to set aside the money for them (shouldn't be as much a need anyway but ownership sucks).

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 11 December 2023 - 09:52 AM

I'd prefer him to Nola. But generally, I think if I'm going to be spending the money that Nola got or Montgomery will get, I'd prefer to go a little further and land Yamamoto or Snell (less enthusiastic about Snell given his injury history).

Fair

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,011 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 04:59 PM

Seth Lugo for 3/$45M to the Royals. Not really a guy I think we'd have been after, but one fewer SP on the market.

#38 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 05:08 PM

Seth Lugo for 3/$45M to the Royals. Not really a guy I think we'd have been after, but one fewer SP on the market.

How much is deferred?  :wink:

#39 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,850 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 08:36 PM

I'd take him over another Gibson type, but he's back end filler.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 08:49 AM

Btw, going the posting fee route should be an ideal way for a team that's been hoarding tens of millions of dollars for years to attack the market.

Note that I used the word should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=