Photo

MASN: Could Orioles pivot away from trying for a No. 1 starter and lower expectations?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:28 AM

MASN: Could Orioles pivot away from trying for a No. 1 starter and lower expectations?

https://www.masnspor...er-expectations

Of course they could and likely will.  It is what the Orioles do.

• bmore_ken likes this
@mikeghg

#42 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 08:33 PM

Of course they could and likely will.  It is what the Orioles do.

BBBBBBB BINGO

#43 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:17 PM

They weren't looking for a Number One, and they shouldn't lie and say they were.

Kyle Gibson II we shall have.

#44 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 December 2023 - 08:37 AM

Lets just look at the actual facts of the starters the O's obtained over the last couple of years.

Lyles

Gibson

Flaherty

Nothing more needs to be said.

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 December 2023 - 09:28 AM

You can’t pivot away from something you never intended to do in the first place.
  • Nigel Tufnel, DuffMan, BSLSteveBirrer and 2 others like this

#46 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:34 PM

Ownership won't let Elias get anybody who makes anything. That rules out good free agents and many good pitchers you could trade for. And Elias isn't gonna send Jackson Holliday, Kjerstad, etc., anywhere. Therefore, the trade alternatives are limited. Last year's 2 trades of  4 prospects for 2 starting pitchers were terrible. And Gibson was a mediocrity. I don't blame Elias for this.

I still think a trade's the only way to go. But there's no way they s/trade for junk or sign it. If a good trade doesn't present itself, I'd rather they chose that needed additional starter from within-DLHall or the upper minors.

#47 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:50 PM

I genuinely don't even expect us to trade for anyone of consequence.

For better or worse, the team will be almost identical to the one we ended the season with.

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:51 PM

I mean, Elias could've trade for pitching last off-season which could've alleviated the need to trade for the mediocrity he traded for at the deadline. He could do so this off-season too. We'll see what happens, it's still early. I'm not concerned with not signing a lot of the guys who have been signed to this point, or who will be signed. The money's stupid for trash pitchers right now. I'm really not down with that.

#49 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 12:58 PM

Yeah, when guys like Jack Flaherty and Lance Lynn are getting $14 and $11 million - I'm good with skipping the FA pool.

#50 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 01:07 PM

I'm really leery of FA pitchers. Either they're mediocre or worse, or they cost ridiculous amounts of money. I'd rather trade, I think it w/b good to use roster guys like Mountcastle or maybe even Santander or Mullins instead of just prospects as trade bait. O's need to clear out some space, anyway. Being creative w/3-way trades might open up some avenues.

What's more, getting somebody w/2 or 3 years left mite not cost so much and therefore mite get Angelos' approval.

#51 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 15 December 2023 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, when guys like Jack Flaherty and Lance Lynn are getting $14 and $11 million - I'm good with skipping the FA pool.

Why? Player costs what the market will bear. Its irrelevant if prices are inflated. You either pay inflated prices or you sit back and watch teams pass you by. And it doesn't matter whether its FA or via trade. FA cost more in direct dollars. Trades cost more in player capital. 

• bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=