63 replies to this topic

#41 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:18 PM

If you knew you were getting the past 3 years of Ohtani he’s worth whatever he wants. I’m sure the bat will remain good for a while, but I have no idea how long he’ll be a good pitcher. How much is the best DH in the game worth?

That'a big if. Are you paying for a DH/pitcher who won't pitch next year and may not return to what he was. Or just paying for the DH and will add in more money if he can pitch.

#42 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:19 PM

People are getting bitter at Ohtani lol.

The writers do not seem happy with his seemingly clandestine approach to FA.

His people don't want the circus that the writers feel is theirs.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:47 PM

If you knew you were getting the past 3 years of Ohtani he’s worth whatever he wants. I’m sure the bat will remain good for a while, but I have no idea how long he’ll be a good pitcher. How much is the best DH in the game worth?

I think if he'd had never thrown a pitch in his career he'd get a contract that matches or beats what Aaron Judge got.  Judge has been the more productive bat and plays the outfield, but was two years older when he signed his deal than Ohtani is now.  I'm also hedging somewhat in that I think if he weren't splitting time pitching, that Ohtani would be capable of either RF or 1B.

As a pitcher, he's far better than Nola, who just got 7/$175M and is two years older.

#44 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:50 PM

MASN reporting that the O's are in agreement with Kimbrell

#45 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:51 PM

NASHVILLE – Reliever Craig Kimbrel has passed his physical and signed a contract with the Orioles for the 2024 season that also includes an option for 2025.

Multiple reports had the deal done, and an industry source confirmed it to MASNsports.com.

The New York Post reported that Kimbrel will receive $12 million next season and has a $1 million buyout in 2025 on a $13 million club option. The deal guarantees $13 million and will be the largest from the Orioles since Mike Elias became the club's executive vice president/general manager, overtaking the $10 million deal Kyle Gibson got last winter.

A late-inning reliever was a top priority for Elias, with closer Félix Bautista out next season after undergoing Tommy John surgery in October.

Kimbrel, who turns 36 in May, ranks eighth on the all-time saves list with 417 over his 14 seasons. The nine-time All-Star posted a 3.26 ERA, 1.043 WHIP, and .611 OPS against this year with the Phillies, registered 23 saves and averaged 12.3 strikeouts per nine innings. 

The right-hander was voted National League Rookie of the Year in 2011 after posting a 2.10 ERA with 46 saves in 79 games and striking out 127 batters in 77 innings. His manager was Orioles bench coach Fredi González.

Kimbrel figures to get first crack at the closer's job at that cost. However, Yennier Cano inherited the job from Bautista and finished the season with eight saves. He's also in the mix.

Manager Brandon Hyde could play matchups on some nights, as he did at times without Bautista.

The Orioles also were linked to relievers Josh Hader, Robert Stephenson, Jordan Hicks and Aroldis Chapman as they arrived in Nashville.

They haven't announced the Kimbrel signing.

https://www.masnspor...of-rule-5-draft

• SonicAttack likes this

#46 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:43 PM

Hays is similar offensively to Verdugo but has 2 years of control remaining.  I've been assuming we wouldn't be dealing him for prospects if we made a move, but I'd need more than twice as much as the Red Sox got in order to move Hays.

Hays would fetch more than Verdugo, who was benched twice last year for lack of effort and showing up late to work. Also, Verdugo was a bit of a malcontent, and apparently there were orders to move him. 

#47 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:59 PM

Not a bad deal for the Yankees when you consider the No. 1 piece was a relief pitcher. The Yankees haven't been much of a sign-and-develop franchise to begin with, at least not under Cashman.

King was used as a starter late in the season and performed well, Padres need SP so it makes sense. Also get two really good pitching prospects in Thorpe and Brito. Not a huge haul like the Nationals got but I like seeing the Yankees pitching depth take a hit at least.

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 09:38 PM

Hays would fetch more than Verdugo, who was benched twice last year for lack of effort and showing up late to work. Also, Verdugo was a bit of a malcontent, and apparently there were orders to move him.

Of course he would. I'm saying I'd need more than 2X what Boston got to think it makes sense to deal Hays, who has twice as much service left as Verdugo.

#49 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 12:53 AM

Eduardo Rodriguez is reportedly heading to Arizona on a four-year, $80 million contract with a vesting option for 2028. The deal can reach $100 million if he pitches 150 innings in 2027. 

Four months after vetoing a trade to the Dodgers, E-Rod will now be pitching against them in the NL West.

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:56 AM

The Yankees have 2 of the 3 or 4 best offensive players in baseball with Judge and Soto. Imo Soto is still #1 though you can make a case for Acuna. He will resign there. Hes only 25. That sucks. At least Judge is 32 and injury prone.

#51 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 07:22 AM

The Yankees have 2 of the 3 or 4 best offensive players in baseball with Judge and Soto. Imo Soto is still #1 though you can make a case for Acuna. He will resign there. Hes only 25. That sucks. At least Judge is 32 and injury prone.

Hopefully defense still matters and Judge plays a lot of CF. And his isn’t exactly the best body type for longevity, historically.

edit I didn't notice till now they also got Grisham in the deal, and I guess Dominguez is ready but had TJ for this year at least, so maybe Judge won't have to play much CF anymore. 

#52 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 10:11 AM

Hopefully defense still matters and Judge plays a lot of CF. And his isn’t exactly the best body type for longevity, historically.

edit I didn't notice till now they also got Grisham in the deal, and I guess Dominguez is ready but had TJ for this year at least, so maybe Judge won't have to play much CF anymore. 

I would think the recently-acquired Alex Verdugo, who has played some center in his career, would be slated for that spot. 

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 10:20 AM

Eduardo Rodriguez is reportedly heading to Arizona on a four-year, $80 million contract with a vesting option for 2028. The deal can reach $100 million if he pitches 150 innings in 2027. 

Four months after vetoing a trade to the Dodgers, E-Rod will now be pitching against them in the NL West.

This isn't a contract I have much regret about the Orioles not being involved.  They have to do something at SP, and Rodriguez would've been fine, but he's not near the top of my personal targets list.  Think he's capped at a mid-rotation arm rather than really having top-end upside, I don't trust the durability and don't see either improving as he enters his 30s.

#54 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 10:30 AM

I would think the recently-acquired Alex Verdugo, who has played some center in his career, would be slated for that spot. 

Maybe, but he hasn't since 2021 and he was quite bad there that year (-5 OAA in 337 innings). He was fine in 2019 but that's an eternity in fielding. Judge is surely better. I guess that is what they will do, Judge CF with Grisham as 4th OF as he hits like Mateo, but he's a gold glover. Really Soto should be DHing, but they are probably still putting Stanton in the lineup most days.

#55 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 10:54 AM

And Stanton too is a beast when healthy - healthy being the key. Glayber Torres is also a big bat;  Yankees again depending on outscoring the comp. 

#56 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 12:13 PM

And Stanton too is a beast when healthy - healthy being the key. Glayber Torres is also a big bat;  Yankees again depending on outscoring the comp. 

Stanton’s morphing into a guess hitter. Still capable of obscene exit velocities, but he’s got massive holes in his swing. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#57 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 12:35 PM

The only way this makes the Yankees demonstrably better is if they release / move Stanton. Soto is a DH. LF in YS is far too big for him, and his arm sucks. He can't play RF. And at any rate, if you're playing him in RF, you're really going to ask Paul Bunyan to play some more CF? Verdugo - the shady character with a poor work ethic I guess plays LF. Dominguez - the 20 year old who, in his 8th game of his MLB career blew out his arm throwing a ball back into the IF, is their CF of the future. 

#58 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:13 PM

Judge will turn 32 in April and doesn't have the best track record for staying healthy.

Stanton is 34 and a shell of his former self.

Soto is obviously a great hitter, but he had an even better supporting cast around him in San Diego and they were under .500 for the year.

Verdugo is OK. Torres is OK. Volpe should get better.

Yankees still don't scare me.

#59 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:20 PM

Judge will turn 32 in April and doesn't have the best track record for staying healthy.

Stanton is 34 and a shell of his former self.

Soto is obviously a great hitter, but he had an even better supporting cast around him in San Diego and they were under .500 for the year.

Verdugo is OK. Torres is OK. Volpe should get better.

Yankees still don't scare me.

I mean, it won't happen, but if Elias flew to Japan and came back with Yamamoto under contract, the O's would be the team to beat in the AL East. Ohtani to Toronto could complicate things, but still...

#60 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:22 PM

Stanton’s morphing into a guess hitter. Still capable of obscene exit velocities, but he’s got massive holes in his swing. 

He looks a lot like Chris Davis.  Avg/OBP/SLG becoming abysmal while strikeouts hold steady.  Davis could at least still field although 1B isn't the same as the OF.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=