MASN: Passing along possible Winter Meetings questions

https://www.masnspor...tings-questions

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 09:48 PM

Balt Sun: Orioles targeting ‘rotation upgrade,’ bullpen help at winter meetings, GM Mike Elias says

https://www.baltimor...m_content=alert

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:50 PM

Technically they have no 5th starter, so any warm body is an "upgrade."

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 05:55 PM

Technically they have no 5th starter, so any warm body is an "upgrade."

The O's should be looking to add to the front of their rotation, and the corresponding impact there....  but as is, Wells and Irvin are both viable 5th starters.  Wells led this staff for several months in '22 before again hitting the wall.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:05 PM

Some fun stuff in the draft lottery. Cleveland (9th worst record) and Cincinnati (14th worst record) get the top two picks.

Oakland, who only won 50 games, ends up with the 4th pick. Which as I've posted before, isn't really noticeably better than drafting 10th or 12th. Tanking always should've been dead in MLB given the futility of the draft and the comparatively limited impact of a superstar compared to basketball or football. But with the lottery it really should be dead. Hope we never have to discuss it again relating to the Orioles.
  • mweb08 likes this

#8 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:05 PM

Wells should be viewed as strictly a BP arm.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:13 PM

Some fun stuff in the draft lottery. Cleveland (9th worst record) and Cincinnati (14th worst record) get the top two picks.

Oakland, who only won 50 games, ends up with the 4th pick. Which as I've posted before, isn't really noticeably better than drafting 10th or 12th. Tanking always should've been dead in MLB given the futility of the draft and the comparatively limited impact of a superstar compared to basketball or football. But with the lottery it really should be dead. Hope we never have to discuss it again relating to the Orioles.

Tanking specifically for draft picks you have a case. Hard rebuilds shouldnt be dead and wont be dead. Specifically trading off most, if not all, of your assets over a stretch of years when its obvious you arent talented enough to contend.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 07:30 PM

Tanking specifically for draft picks you have a case. Hard rebuilds shouldnt be dead and wont be dead. Specifically trading off most, if not all, of your assets over a stretch of years when its obvious you arent talented enough to contend.

You lose me at "stretch of years", but otherwise agree.  A rebuild is fine.  Cash out all present assets when the sum of the parts isn't good enough and turn them into potential future value.  But that doesn't take 3 years.  That takes one week.

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,842 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 08:35 PM

The Orioles tanked from 2019 to 2021 for sure, but was it strictly for a chance at the #1 draft pick?

Obviously getting Adley was great (technically not a tank season). Jackson Holliday certainly looks like he'll be a player (tank season). 2020 was a weird year, but I'd probably take Kjertsad over Torkelson right now.

I guess the one benefit to tanking is a higher draft spending pool?

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 05 December 2023 - 09:25 PM

You lose me at "stretch of years", but otherwise agree. A rebuild is fine. Cash out all present assets when the sum of the parts isn't good enough and turn them into potential future value. But that doesn't take 3 years. That takes one week.

Indeed. No need for multiple years of tanking.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 11:10 PM

You lose me at "stretch of years", but otherwise agree. A rebuild is fine. Cash out all present assets when the sum of the parts isn't good enough and turn them into potential future value. But that doesn't take 3 years. That takes one week.

So the Os of '20 were supposed to be going for it. Trying to win it all. Bundy wasnt some big asset but was a league avg SP with 2 years of team control left. He shouldnt have been traded that offseason. So few guys who had established themselves in any way heading into '20 but lets say the Os had received a very nice offer on Trey coming off his '19 season and 3 team controlled years. You dont pull the trigger because why?? No FA moves the Os could realistically make, even what all of you think is possible, was gonna make that 2020 team good enough to contend. Same with the '21 team. So while Im fine with you guys that are anti tank and wanted to attempt to put a better product on the field I reject that you cant be rebuilding over that time frame. After the shamble the Os were left with after the firesale of '18 you guys all know there was no realistic chance to contend for multiple years.
  • mdrunning likes this

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2023 - 12:49 AM

GUzcXuH.jpg

His homer rate ballooned a bit this year - I could see that coming down in Baltimore. Could be a pretty solid add.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 01:32 AM

Knew it would be someone like Kimbrel. Hes def got some scary things going on but it is a guy with closing experience. I put more weight into that that a lot of other people do.

#16 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:13 AM

Fortunately for the Athletics, they were tanking so the billionaire owner could be subsidized by another city.

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:38 AM

Kimbrel would be a perfectly acceptable addition.  I'll always dislike his stupid arm thing, but other than that aesthetic, a fine option.  

If they go cheaper (or at least, short term) option like Kimbrel at closer, that should mean they have additional resources available for SP. 

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:10 AM

ESPN: 2023 MLB winter meetings updates, rumors and prediction

https://www.espn.com...htani-juan-soto

#19 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:26 AM

Few people on the outside give them much of a chance, but some members of the Angels have privately felt confident about their chances to retain Shohei Ohtani throughout the offseason, even though his price tag might reach $600 million.

I can't believe a team would pay a soon to be 30 year old who won't pitch next year $500-600 million.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,005 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:32 AM

I can't believe a team would pay a soon to be 30 year old who won't pitch next year $500-600 million.

If you can't believe that someone like Shohei Ohtani exists, I agree.

If you can't believe that Shohei Ohtani is worth such a commitment, I disagree. Teams are lining up to have the right to pay him such a contract.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=