101 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 01 December 2023 - 02:00 PM

If coach had put him in we woulda won state.  No doubt in my mind.

• Mike in STL likes this

#22 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 December 2023 - 02:13 PM

TE Corey Dyches will enter the transfer portal. Massive loss for Maryland, and the second straight season we’ve seen a mass exodus of tight ends.
@BSLZackKiesel

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 03:48 PM

TE Corey Dyches will enter the transfer portal. Massive loss for Maryland, and the second straight season we’ve seen a mass exodus of tight ends.

Yikes, horrible loss. Especially with Rico leaving. 

BTW, while CJ Dippre now gets to play in the SEC Championship...  he went from 30 catches last year, to 8 this year for Bama.

#24 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 02 December 2023 - 04:06 PM

Said it before and will say it again - transfer portal makes me care even less about college sports.
  • Mike B likes this

#25 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2023 - 03:59 PM

LB Jaishawn Barham will enter the transfer portal. Absolutely enormous loss for Maryland, as they lose their best defender.
@BSLZackKiesel

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:00 PM

Had to think Barham was going to have a lot of interested bidders for his services. Painful but unsurprising.

#27 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,348 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:10 PM

Maryland has now lost their top recruit in each of the last three recruiting classes (LB Chop Robinson, LB Jaishawn Barham, TE Rico Walker).

@BSLZackKiesel

#28 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:20 PM

Yawn.

With the portal you have to expect to lose most of your best players every year.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:21 PM

Terps definitely belong in this tier of being a farm system for nationally relevant teams. We just aren't on the next level. Gonna have to wait out for a perfect storm of a couple year peak and then try to capitalize on securing the financial backing to remain relevant.

Need a good QB, a decent roster and then some good fortune all at once. Basically what happened right when Fridge showed up. I'd say we had at least the QB with Lia, but not enough of the other things.

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:29 PM

Terps definitely belong in this tier of being a farm system for nationally relevant teams. We just aren't on the next level. Gonna have to wait out for a perfect storm of a couple year peak and then try to capitalize on securing the financial backing to remain relevant.

Need a good QB, a decent roster and then some good fortune all at once. Basically what happened right when Fridge showed up. I'd say we had at least the QB with Lia, but not enough of the other things.

The obvious difference there is the degree of difficulty between the 2024-and-forward Big Ten versus the 2001 ACC is a very wide gulf.

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 04:29 PM

Just wasted, probably, the best QB in program history for some mid tier bowl games. Granted Tualia came up small in his most crucial moments.

Really the only positive thing Locksley brought to the table was the ability to build relationships through recruiting. That's pretty irrelevant in the NIL era.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 05:50 PM

DB Corey Coley will go into the portal tomorrow.

#33 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 06:07 PM

Said it before and will say it again - transfer portal makes me care even less about college sports.

True. It’s easier to get behind a team when guys by and large are going to play three and four years together. The rivalries are better when you get multiple matchups between the same guys.

I believe the players should have more rights, and the portal was one of those. But now that they can profit off their name and likeness, Covid affecting sports and eligibility is over. Maybe there should not be a transfer portal. I mean, in pro baseball a team owns you for 6 years AFTER you get called up to the bigs. Football it is 4 or 5 years. Kinda crazy that a freshman that is able to make money on top of free education now can just go somewhere else.
@BSLMikeRandall

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,465 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 06:17 PM

True. It’s easier to get behind a team when guys by and large are going to play three and four years together. The rivalries are better when you get multiple matchups between the same guys.

I believe the players should have more rights, and the portal was one of those. But now that they can profit off their name and likeness, Covid affecting sports and eligibility is over. Maybe there should not be a transfer portal. I mean, in pro baseball a team owns you for 6 years AFTER you get called up to the bigs. Football it is 4 or 5 years. Kinda crazy that a freshman that is able to make money on top of free education now can just go somewhere else.

The answer is not that hard, if the NCAA and the schools would just admit what we all know....that college sports, football in particular, is primarily a revenue-generating business and its players are employees whose labor drives those revenues. Then you sit down and collectively bargain with them, giving them a cut of the revenues while also getting them under contract so they can't just jump to a new school/team every year. Sound familiar?

As for the portal/loose transfer rules now, I'm not a big fan of all the movement, but conference realignment and chasing TV money is destroying a lot more rivalries than the portal.

• BSLZackKiesel and Mike in STL like this

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 06:23 PM

The answer is not that hard, if the NCAA and the schools would just admit what we all know....that college sports, football in particular, is primarily a revenue-generating business and its players are employees whose labor drives those revenues. Then you sit down and collectively bargain with them, giving them a cut of the revenues while also getting them under contract so they can't just jump to a new school/team every year. Sound familiar?

As for the portal/loose transfer rules now, I'm not a big fan of all the movement, but conference realignment and chasing TV money is destroying a lot more rivalries than the portal.

100%
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 08:41 PM

LB Jaishawn Barham will enter the transfer portal. Absolutely enormous loss for Maryland, as they lose their best defender.

MD has to go full Deion and just pound the portal. 

But also has to be smart....  you aren't going to get the guys like Barham who will be leaving MD for a blue chip program...  you've got to go target the guys from the AAC, CUSA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, and the FCS guys who want to play up in the Big Ten.

More guys like Donnell Brown.

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2023 - 08:54 PM

MD has to go full Deion and just pound the portal.

But also has to be smart.... you aren't going to get the guys like Barham who will be leaving MD for a blue chip program... you've got to go target the guys from the AAC, CUSA, MAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, and the FCS guys who want to play up in the Big Ten.

More guys like Donnell Brown.

So long as they go anti-Deion once they’re here and actually, you know, coach and develop talent.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 08:59 PM

So long as they go anti-Deion once they’re here and actually, you know, coach and develop talent.

He just didn't have enough on the lines to compete once injuries and attrition started happening. 
I imagine he'll have another big class...  (he certainly got more eyes on the Colorado program, and that's obviously key to recruiting both hs and the portal)...   figure he will figure out the NIL for kids too...     

Yeah, he (starting next year) will have to win more games, or else the doubters will come.... but I'd expect him to.
Big 12 should be good for them overall too I think. Really solid league even without Texas and OU, but no world beater programs. Guess Baylor probably has the most $.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,482 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2023 - 09:05 PM

He is a god awful actual coach. The comments he made throughout the season, and the way that team actively got worse just shows it. I love Deion the personality. Objectively speaking, I don’t see how anyone can give him the benefit of the doubt as a coach and developer of talent. I’ll never forget him throwing his OLine under the bus a few weeks back when a reporter asked how he’s going to help them get better, he said: “I’m going to replace them, that’s how.”

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 03 December 2023 - 09:13 PM

He is a god awful actual coach. The comments he made throughout the season, and the way that team actively got worse just shows it. I love Deion the personality. Objectively speaking, I don’t see how anyone can give him the benefit of the doubt as a coach and developer of talent. I’ll never forget him throwing his OLine under the bus a few weeks back when a reporter asked how he’s going to help them get better, he said: “I’m going to replace them, that’s how.”

No idea about his ability to develop, but do know he can create interest. Had what 80 new guys this year into that program? He will run more guys out this year and bring in another haul...more guys who want to play for Prime. Will the returning guys develop? Dont know. But I figure he will have enough new talent coming in that they take a step forward. Will be interesting.

Back to Maryland...if you cant retain players you spend years building relationships with and bringing along internally... then you have to change what you are doing.

Have to look at each year as completely new, just cleaning the decks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=