#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 November 2023 - 05:14 PM

With the off-season underway, I figured it would be good to have one spot to discuss all of the roster moves that we'll see over the next few months. I'll do my best to update this post regularly.

Departures (No Eligibility) - 11

• QB Taulia Tagovailoa
  • WR Jeshaun Jones
  • OL Gottlieb Ayedze
  • OL Corey Bullock
  • OL Mike Purcell
  • DL Tre Colbert
  • DL Christian Teague
  • LB Sean Greeley
  • LB Gereme Spraggins
  • DB Ja'Quan Sheppard
  • P Colton Spangler

Departures (Early NFL Draft Declaration) - 4

• WR Tyrese Chambers
  • OL Delmar Glaze
  • DB Beau Brade
  • DB Tarheeb Still

Departures (Transfer Portal) - 12

• RB Ramon Brown
  • RB Antwain Littleton II (Temple)
  • TE Corey Dyches (Charlotte)
  • TE Rico Walker (Auburn)
  • OL Khristopher Love
  • OL Ja'Kavion Nonar (Florida Atlantic)
  • LB Jaishawn Barham (Michigan)
  • LB Riyad Wilmot
  • DB Corey Coley, Jr. (N.C. State)
  • DB Tamarcus Cooley (N.C. State)
  • DB Gavin Gibson (East Carolina)
  • DB Avantae Williams

Arrivals (Freshmen) - 24

• QB Khristian Martin
  • RB DeJuan Williams
  • WR Josiah McLaurin
  • WR Jamari Powell-Wonson
  • WR Mekhai White
  • OL Logan Bennett
  • OL Terez Davis
  • OL Ryan Howerton 
  • OL Michael McMonigle
  • OL Anthony Robsock
  • OL Trevor Szymanski
  • OL Davon Watkins
  • DL Michael Hershey
  • DL Dimitry Nicolas
  • LB Keyshawn Flowers
  • LB Keyari James
  • LB Anthony Reddick
  • DB Kevyn Humes
  • DB Lloyd Irvin
  • DB Brandon Jacob
  • DB Judah Jenkins
  • DB Braydon Lee
  • DB Shamar McIntosh
  • DB Lakhi Roland

Arrivals (Transfer Portal) - 5

• QB MJ Morris (N.C. State)
  • OL Aliou Bah (Georgia)
  • OL Alan Herron (Shorter College)
  • OL Josh Kaltenberger (Purdue)
  • DB Jalen Huskey (Bowling Green)

Total Departures: 27

Total Arrivals: 29

Current Scholarships Available: -2

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:05 PM

As has become the norm, there's no lack of experienced QBs in the transfer portal.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:12 PM

Secondary will need some transfer help. 

Take all the line talent you can get. 

Have talented QB's on the roster....  will be interesting to see if they go out and grab someone with real experience though.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:24 PM

Have talented QB's on the roster....  will be interesting to see if they go out and grab someone with real experience though.

More and more the trend is for coaches that have been around a while to go plug in a transfer. Going with inexperienced QB options is more common for first-year coaches or ones who have built a lot of job security. MD doesn't really fall into either category.

I do think it's 99% likely they get a QB from the portal. Question is whether that guy will be a starter.

#5 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 November 2023 - 06:49 PM

More and more the trend is for coaches that have been around a while to go plug in a transfer. Going with inexperienced QB options is more common for first-year coaches or ones who have built a lot of job security. MD doesn't really fall into either category.

I do think it's 99% likely they get a QB from the portal. Question is whether that guy will be a starter.

NIL aside (which is a big aside), Maryland ought to be an attractive destination for a transfer QB. Locksley's track record with QBs (Hurts, Tua, Taulia), the most pass-happy scheme in the conference in 2023, and a consistently-stacked receiver room.

They're in a better spot than they were after 2019 when Josh Jackson and Lance LeGendre left them without a single scholarship QB on the roster. I'd feel okay with Billy Edwards, Jr. or Cameron Edge as the starter next year, but obviously you'd jump at a chance to snag another impact player at the position.

@BSLZackKiesel

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:00 PM

Talk of Ewers returning since he hasn’t been able to improve his draft stock this season amid some injuries. They’ve got Arch Manning waiting in the wings. Go get Ewers. Pony up, Plank.

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:02 PM

NIL aside (which is a big aside), Maryland ought to be an attractive destination for a transfer QB. Locksley's track record with QBs (Hurts, Tua, Taulia), the most pass-happy scheme in the conference in 2023, and a consistently-stacked receiver room.

They're in a better spot than they were after 2019 when Josh Jackson and Lance LeGendre left them without a single scholarship QB on the roster. I'd feel okay with Billy Edwards, Jr. or Cameron Edge as the starter next year, but obviously you'd jump at a chance to snag another impact player at the position.

Haven't been a fan of Edwards, passing-wise. Though he seems to be effective at running that tush-push play, and considering their struggles converting short-yardage situations of late in a more traditional manner, he's worth having around just to run that play.

I liked what I saw of Edge's arm in the very limited appearances he's made. Long appears to throw a nice ball too, but I've not seen him do it in an actual college game. I'd almost wager at least one of those two won't be around next season. That's why there are always so many QBs in the portal. Unlike the other positions, generally you only go into your depth chart if things go wrong.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:04 PM

Talk of Ewers returning since he hasn’t been able to improve his draft stock this season amid some injuries. They’ve got Arch Manning waiting in the wings. Go get Ewers. Pony up, Plank.

I think Manning would be the one more likely to transfer than Ewers.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:42 PM

Can’t imagine Texas letting him get away. That was probably the most hyped recruit chase ever.

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 27 November 2023 - 07:50 PM

Can’t imagine Texas letting him get away. That was probably the most hyped recruit chase ever.

Would think it's equally as hard to let Ewers just walk if he wants to stay in college another year. All he did was lead them to an 11-1 record, including a win at Alabama. And they should win the conference title with a shot at the CFP. 

Kinda reminds me of the Hurts/Tagovailoa situation at Alabama. All we need is for Texas to make it to the title game, crap the bed in the 1st Half, and Sarkisian yanks Ewers for Manning who leads a big comeback.

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2023 - 08:01 PM

Would think it's equally as hard to let Ewers just walk if he wants to stay in college another year. All he did was lead them to an 11-1 record, including a win at Alabama. And they should win the conference title with a shot at the CFP.

Kinda reminds me of the Hurts/Tagovailoa situation at Alabama. All we need is for Texas to make it to the title game, crap the bed in the 1st Half, and Sarkisian yanks Ewers for Manning who leads a big comeback.

He’s a Manning. Otherwise, yes, similar to the Bama situation. There’s just no chance he’s the guy they’d let walk IMHO. Also zero chance both of them stay.

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:14 AM

DB Tamarcus Cooley has announced that he'll enter the transfer portal. He played in four games as a true freshman in 2023 after joining the team as a three-star recruit from the state of North Carolina.

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 04:16 PM

Wow, hard to believe the college career of Jeshaun Jones is over already.  

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 05:03 PM

OL Ja'kavion Nonar announced he'll be entering the transfer portal.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 28 November 2023 - 05:06 PM

Wow, hard to believe the college career of Jeshaun Jones is over already.  

Somehow he just never seemed to live up to the standard he set on his first three touches as a collegian.

Seriously though, with the injuries he had I would have thought he'd be eligible for a medical redshirt that'd give him one more season, but guess not.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 November 2023 - 06:44 PM

If Rhule is correct here (and I have no reason to assume he wouldn't be) - we can forget everything we were talking about RE: Maryland going and getting a good QB to replace Taulia. 

Oh well, I like Billy the Kid anyway. 

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 November 2023 - 08:38 PM

If Rhule is correct here (and I have no reason to assume he wouldn't be) - we can forget everything we were talking about RE: Maryland going and getting a good QB to replace Taulia. 

Oh well, I like Billy the Kid anyway. 

I believe Auburn's offer to Taulia last year was in the $2 million range, so everything Rhule said definitely tracks.

@BSLZackKiesel

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:10 PM

DB Gavin Gibson is headed to the portal.

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2023 - 04:28 PM

DB Gavin Gibson is headed to the portal.

First impact loss for Maryland. He was slated for a big role next season with Sheppard and (likely) Still departing.
@BSLZackKiesel

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2023 - 01:37 PM

TE Rico Walker will enter the transfer portal. He was Maryland's top recruit in the 2023 class.

@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=