198 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 04:53 PM

To elaborate and bring some substance, Bassitt and Gibson had the same fWAR last year. Gibson had the better FIP and xFIP. Bassitt the much better rWAR. I do think that Bassitt is better but its pretty marginal. I dont get the idea that we crap all over Gibson while propping up a marginally better SP. Both would be fine to eat innings as solid back end guys. I dont understand fretting over not having Bassitt in the fold right now. Id take him but hes not a #2 or a #3. You can still easily acquire a comparable player in FA or on the trade market

Ludicrous to suggest Bassitt is equivalent to Gibson. FIP is an estimator, some guys do better than it consistently (Bassitt by .40 runs for career) and some guys consistently do worse (Gibson by .27 runs for his career).

The 1.13 lower ERA that Bassitt had than Gibson or the 0.70 lower xERA aren't flukes that are equalized if you look at peripherals. It's legit and it's substantial.

Bassitt had a 3.60 ERA in 200 innings last year. 10th in Cy Young voting. He's never had a 4+ ERA. He's easily worth his contract, and it remains a mistake to have not beaten it. I'd prefer to take over his deal if possible than to sign any comparable FA pitcher this off-season. I think he's on the same tier as Montgomery and Cease.

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 05:58 PM

Ludicrous to suggest Bassitt is equivalent to Gibson. FIP is an estimator, some guys do better than it consistently (Bassitt by .40 runs for career) and some guys consistently do worse (Gibson by .27 runs for his career).

The 1.13 lower ERA that Bassitt had than Gibson or the 0.70 lower xERA aren't flukes that are equalized if you look at peripherals. It's legit and it's substantial.

Bassitt had a 3.60 ERA in 200 innings last year. 10th in Cy Young voting. He's never had a 4+ ERA. He's easily worth his contract, and it remains a mistake to have not beaten it. I'd prefer to take over his deal if possible than to sign any comparable FA pitcher this off-season. I think he's on the same tier as Montgomery and Cease.

Insane.

#83 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 06:19 PM

Insane.

I am judging them based onto their abilities to pitch and record outs while avoiding allowing runs to score. Perhaps by whatever other metrics you're using they may not be similarly gifted.

#84 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 06:29 PM

I get it. Youve somehow lost all reason when it comes to Bassitt. An irrational love affair. Its kinda cute

Yeah I stand by this completely

#85 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 06:58 PM

Yeah I stand by this completely

ERA

Career:  Bassitt 3.49, Montgomery 3.68, Cease 3.83, Gibson 4.54

Last 3:Bassitt 3.41, Montgomery 3.48, Cease 3.54, Gibson 4.49

2023: Montgomery 3.20, Bassitt 3.60, Cease 4.58, Gibson 4.73

ERA+

Career: Bassitt 118, Montgomery 116, Cease 113, Gibson 93

Last 3:  Cease 121, Montgomery 121, Bassitt 120, Gibson 92

2023: Montgomery 138, Bassitt 118, Cease 97, Gibson 87

xERA

Last 3 (avg of last 3, not weighted for IP or BF b/c FG won't sum and I did it quickly): Cease 3.47, Bassitt 3.64, Montgomery 4.03, Gibson 4.34

2023: Bassitt 4.04, Montgomery 4.04, Cease 4.07, Gibson 4.73

IP

Last 3: Gibson 541.2, Bassitt 539.0, Cease 526.2, Montgomery 524.1,

2023:  Bassitt 200.0, Gibson 192.0, Montgomery 188.2, Cease 177.0

• mweb08, Mike in STL and RichardZ like this

#86 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 07:44 PM

There isnt anyone that would give a 2nd thought of consideration  to taking Bassitt over Montgomery or Cease for '24. Forget that the other two are younger and therefore have more upside beyond '24. Just talking next year. You can throw numbers at this all you want. No one is taking Bassitt over those two  and I know you know that. 

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:11 PM

There isnt anyone that would give a 2nd thought of consideration to taking Bassitt over Montgomery or Cease for '24.

Never said that. I said he's on the same tier, which he is as I've shown. I would probably go Montgomery, Bassitt, Cease in terms of raw performance for 2024, but any order amongst the three wouldn't surprise me.

What I did say was I'd rather have his contract from this point than the deal it'll take to land Montgomery or give up the package it'll take for Cease. It remains a big mistake to have not signed him last year.

#88 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 23 December 2023 - 01:54 PM

CBS Sports: Festivus grievances for all 30 MLB teams: Disappointing owners, bad pitching and more 2023 failures

https://www.cbssport...-2023-failures/

#89 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 December 2023 - 03:22 PM

8 teams paid Luxury Tax for last year including a record 101M from the Mets.

The top 3 teams paying Lux Tax, the Mets, Padres and Yankees, all failed to make the Playoffs.

#90 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 06:51 AM

The main question is will every infield grass be cut to the same spot across the league.

Google image search some parks. Oriole Park the foul line is practically an inch give or take from the grass. Fenway Park you have at least 2 feet of dirt between the foul line and the grass. So will you have 2 feet extra inside the baseline in Boston than Baltimore? Maybe this falls under the "baseball is unique, every stadium is different" thing? But some dimensions are standard.

Good post.

I'm with the players on opposition to all of the the rule changes. If MLB was really concerned about player safety regarding collisions at first base they would have implemented the use of a safety base in foul territory years ago. Changing this rule will only benefit the offense and that's what MLB wants.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 04:00 PM

1/$16M for Frankie Montas with the Reds. He'd have been my pick for the SP the O's actually add if we had a pool before the off-season. Hope we can do better, but one fewer option available.
  • dude likes this

#92 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 December 2023 - 04:10 PM

Braves and Reds were reportedly interested in Cease, maybe things are nearing the finish line with him.
  • dude likes this

#93 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 30 December 2023 - 04:27 PM

1/$16M for Frankie Montas with the Reds. He'd have been my pick for the SP the O's actually add if we had a pool before the off-season. Hope we can do better, but one fewer option available.

I wonder if that takes Cincinnati out of the running for Cease. (Not that we really know who is even in the running.) Maybe the Reds figured it was better to keep their farm system than give to the White Sox for Cease. Then again, every time one of these rebound type pitchers signs for more than Cease will earn next year could potentially drive the price up even more.

• dude likes this

#94 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 December 2023 - 07:10 PM

Braves and Reds were reportedly interested in Cease, maybe things are nearing the finish line with him.

Noting the 3 comments above.  I didn't see anything new in Reds thread and didn't realize it was here when I posted similar in the RedSox thread.

My guess this would more that this is transition to other options because of the asking price, not that he's no longer available because he's traded.

We'll see. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:39 PM

CBS Sports: 10 MLB storylines that will shape 2024: Dodgers' superteam status, Juan Soto's free agency, more

https://www.cbssport...ee-agency-more/

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 11 January 2024 - 10:24 AM

ESPN: Bold predictions for the rest of the MLB offseason

https://www.espn.com...fseason-2023-24

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 15 January 2024 - 10:13 AM

CBS Sports: MLB rumors: Blake Snell on contender's radar, Rangers, Yankees want to beef up bullpen with workhorse reliever

https://www.cbssport...horse-reliever/

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 16 January 2024 - 01:27 PM

The Ringer: MLB Doesn’t Have Much Appetite for Innings Eaters Anymore

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 11:57 AM

CBS Sports: Too-early 2025 MLB free agency rankings: Juan Soto at No. 1, plus predictions on who will actually hit market

https://www.cbssport...lly-hit-market/

#100 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2024 - 04:13 PM

Tigers, Royals, Brewers, Marlins, and Rays to have all 162 games streaming on Amazon this season.

Amazon to help save bankrupt Diamond Sports with $100M deal: sources (nypost.com)

This is a pretty big deal, right? MLB blocked 11 teams Diamond Sports broadcasts to go to Amazon but allowed these five. 

Is this the beginning of the end of regional sports networks? 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=