198 replies to this topic

#61 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:57 AM

Excellent news for us.  Let the Dodgers buy them all and keep them in the NL.  

But it could also mean that teams like the Yankees and Blue Jays double down on the likes of Blake Snell, Jordan Montgomery and perhaps Cody Bellinger, although Bellinger in the AL East shouldn't be the stuff restless nights are made of.

#62 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:05 AM

Man that's a wild commitment for Yamamoto.  He's gotta be an ace at those prices.  Won't impact the Dodgers bottom line enough to matter if he isn't, but that is what they are buying.  Biggest contract ever for a pitcher, right?  Before even considering the additional posting fee.

Does he have to be an ace? The crazy part of this contract is the years, not the salary per year and that salary will become lower relative to the league as the years go by. If he is a healthy #2 throughout the vast majority of this contract, it will be a win imo. 

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:34 AM

Excellent news for us. Let the Dodgers buy them all and keep them in the NL.

To win the World Series, you have to beat the team who wins the National League. I’d slow down on this sentiment. Orioles finally have a legit window, and LA is over there buying a super team. It’s disgusting and I wish them all the worst.

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:37 AM

To win the World Series, you have to beat the team who wins the National League. I’d slow down on this sentiment. Orioles finally have a legit window, and LA is over there buying a super team. It’s disgusting and I wish them all the worst.

If you get to the WS and face LA, it will just be flipping a coin in a short series imo. 

Better than having the Yankees, Boston, or Toronto for having him, or Ohtani...  and also thank them for taking Glasnow from Tampa.

As far as the sentiment about buying a super team... agree there.

#65 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:46 AM

Well you know what my answer to that will be.  Playoffs.  Series of coin flips.  Etc.

But I am a bit interested in the sentiment.  Aren't the Dodgers just doing what everyone on this board wants the Orioles to do?  Or is there a certain range of spending that's considered acceptable?

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:50 AM

Lol you can’t be serious. Spending more than nothing would be a start, yes. I have not seen one post requesting a billion dollar payroll.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:52 AM

The huge deals for pitchers this offseason make me even angrier that the Orioles weren't in on guys last season.  Particularly Bassitt and Senga. I also wanted Rodon, so they didn't all work out, but the prices were far more palatable a year ago.  I imagine that trend continues, so they if they see a guy they like, should pony up now even though it hurts a lot and not wait a year or two when it'll hurt a lot more.

I maintain Bassitt is suspect and not worth getting. At least Senga had some upside. The O's need to be going after #2s or high end #3s at worst. You want a Bassitt you can still go get a Stroman or even try for a bounce back from Giolito. Maybe think out the box a bit. I really think Bauer is a scumbag but it seems like he's cleared himself to some degree. See what he wants on a 1 yr prove it deal. Kershaw wont be ready til mid season. See what he wants on a 1 yr deal. Trade is still the best route but there are still options that dont involve the tippy top guys like Snell, Montgomery. Paxton interests me a bit too. With him if he doesnt work as a starter I think its possible he could be a high lev BP arm

#68 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:57 AM

Lol you can’t be serious. Spending more than nothing would be a start, yes. I have not seen one post requesting a billion dollar payroll.

I didn't say anyone said that.  Even the most pro-FA folks on this board recognize that the Orioles don't have the resources that the Dodgers do.  But it seems weird to me to suggest that what the Dodgers are doing is "disgusting."  Aren't they just showing their commitment to win?

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 12:04 PM

I didn't say anyone said that.  Even the most pro-FA folks on this board recognize that the Orioles don't have the resources that the Dodgers do.  But it seems weird to me to suggest that what the Dodgers are doing is "disgusting."  Aren't they just showing their commitment to win?

I don't have a problem with the Dodgers utilizing their resources. 
Could even argue it's good for the game to have a 'super team.' 
If I was a LA fan, I wouldn't like buying a team as much as developing... OTOH, I did really enjoy '96,'97.

I've always felt there should be minimum and maximum spends. 

Football has appeal over Baseball Nationally for numerous reasons (once a week, gambling, fantasy, 'violence', maybe easier to understand)... but one other advantage is the revenue distribution + cap, creating an environment where everyone is starting from an equal point... and then your franchise health comes down solely to decision making....  vs in baseball, it's more like life as a whole, where you have some people / teams being born on 3rd.    

#70 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2023 - 12:04 PM

I didn't say anyone said that. Even the most pro-FA folks on this board recognize that the Orioles don't have the resources that the Dodgers do. But it seems weird to me to suggest that what the Dodgers are doing is "disgusting." Aren't they just showing their commitment to win?

I’ve never been a fan of mercenaries and have long been consistent about how much I don’t like there not being a salary cap (and floor) in MLB. Go take this up with whoever you’re trying to criticize. It ain’t me, tootz.

#71 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 December 2023 - 01:29 PM

Orioles.

In.

Four.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 01:57 PM

I maintain Bassitt is suspect and not worth getting

Lol, not reading past this. 

#73 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:05 PM

I get it. Youve somehow lost all reason when it comes to Bassitt. An irrational love affair. Its kinda cute

#74 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:09 PM

I don't have a problem with the Dodgers utilizing their resources. 
Could even argue it's good for the game to have a 'super team.' 
If I was a LA fan, I wouldn't like buying a team as much as developing... OTOH, I did really enjoy '96,'97.

I've always felt there should be minimum and maximum spends. 

Football has appeal over Baseball Nationally for numerous reasons (once a week, gambling, fantasy, 'violence', maybe easier to understand)... but one other advantage is the revenue distribution + cap, creating an environment where everyone is starting from an equal point... and then your franchise health comes down solely to decision making....  vs in baseball, it's more like life as a whole, where you have some people / teams being born on 3rd.    

I feel the same way, and I think there has to be more economic equillibrium in terms of both revenues and payrolls. The union griped when teams like Houston were spending peanuts on player salaries, but if you want a salary floor there also has to be a cap on spending as well. You don't need to be a genius to figure that out, but you probably need to be a genius to figure out how to actually do it.

Owners: In light of all the ridiculous spending this offseason, we want a salary cap so we can save us from ourselves.

Players: Over our dead bodies.

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:23 PM

Orioles.

In.

Four.

I'll allow it.

#76 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:32 PM

I'd be fine with that. Not my money. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2023 - 02:41 PM

I'd be fine with that. Not my money. 

Sure. I get that. It's about competitive fairness to me. I do love the fact that in baseball, highest payroll doesn't always = champion though. But a lot of times it does, too. 

#78 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 03:06 PM

Sure. I get that. It's about competitive fairness to me. I do love the fact that in baseball, highest payroll doesn't always = champion though. But a lot of times it does, too. 

And even though it's "not our money" all of these bellwether contracts have an industry-wide impact. Even if you're a small-revenue franchise, you're going to have to pay big-market prices to sit in at the adults' table. 

(Just for the record, I am not defending the Orioles' penurious ways.)

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 04:30 PM

Lol, not reading past this.

To elaborate and bring some substance, Bassitt and Gibson had the same fWAR last year. Gibson had the better FIP and xFIP. Bassitt the much better rWAR. I do think that Bassitt is better but its pretty marginal. I dont get the idea that we crap all over Gibson while propping up a marginally better SP. Both would be fine to eat innings as solid back end guys. I dont understand fretting over not having Bassitt in the fold right now. Id take him but hes not a #2 or a #3. You can still easily acquire a comparable player in FA or on the trade market

#80 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 04:33 PM

I am sure the other MLB owners are ecstatic with Mark Walter's new contract standards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=