#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:47 PM

And just like that, Michigan takes a two-score lead.
@BSLZackKiesel

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:47 PM

Fumble from TT... and 6 for Michigan. 

#23 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:51 PM

Maryland has no answers for Michigan’s pass rush.
@BSLZackKiesel

#24 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:52 PM

Just embarrassing.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:52 PM

And that's enough for today.

Beat Rutgers, win the bowl.

#26 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:53 PM

The inability to even be competitive against good teams is a long term problem and is embarrassing.

@mikeghg

#27 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:53 PM

Fire Damon Evans. Fire Locksley. Just start from scratch.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:54 PM

And that's enough for today.

Beat Rutgers, win the bowl.

I hope if they lose to Rutgers, they get left home.  Don’t put lipstick on the pig.

@mikeghg

#29 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:55 PM

Beating Rutgers and winning a low end bowl game means nothing. Maryland football is irrelevant.

#30 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 12:57 PM

Beating Rutgers is no guarantee, either.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:00 PM

Beating Rutgers and winning a low end bowl game means nothing. Maryland football is irrelevant.

Will just restate what I said in the other thread...

'21 and '22 were positive steps forward for the programs. 

Recruiting made solid steps. 
Winning seasons, bowl wins, extra practices. 

'23 needed to be a another step forward, and unfortunately that didn't happen.
MD is going to get smacked by Michigan obviously.

Even if MD beats Rutgers, and wins a 3rd straight bowl... it will feel like this MD team left meat on the bone, with those Illinois and NW losses. 

Still, that's what available to MD right now...  beat Rutgers, and win a 3rd straight bowl game. 

Finish out the recruiting class.
Handle whatever departures there are.
Add substance of your own in the portal. 

Would think Locksley gets all of next year.
No Ohio State and Michigan on the schedule...but USC, Oregon, and Penn State. Other 9 games winnable, though they will be dogs in several.

Probably a similar 7-8 win year. And at that point I could see a change being made.

But who knows...lose 50-10 to Michigan, and lose to Rutgers... then maybe there is a hook after 23.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:00 PM

MD athletics are irrelevant. So with that being the case people dont care. Firing the AD and coaches arent going to result in any real changes. The alumni for the most part dont care. The donors dont care. They all are content with being mediocre. You see when athletic departments strive for excellence.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#33 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:05 PM

The apathy around Maryland’s football and men’s basketball programs will be interesting to watch next year. Both head coaches will be back following bad years. Have to assume ticket sales take a decent hit.

Gotta wonder how long that goes before Dr. Pines starts looking at Damon Evans. He was obviously hired by Kevin Anderson and promoted by Dr. Loh, and Pines is at least marginally more involved in athletics.
@BSLZackKiesel

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:08 PM

Ill never understand why you dont truly strive for excellence. Until that mindset changes this is what it is unless you get lucky and make an A+ hire. Even then the chances that guy doesnt use MD as a stepping stone is small. That goes for basketball too. Im not just talking about football.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:11 PM

MD athletics are irrelevant. So with that being the case people dont care. The alumni for the most part dont care. The donors dont care. They all are content with being mediocre.

Which becomes circular. 

If the Alumni and Donors don't care enough to step up ($), then you aren't in position to demand more significant results and further apathy occurs. 

I saw the comments in the basketball thread last night. 

If there was some scandal... sure MD would find the money somewhere to get out Willard and start over (if the scandal didn't erase what they owed)... but other than that, that's not happening.  

Also certainly aren't getting rid of him in Year 2 unless there is a complete and total collapse, and that's probably right.

WIllard wasn't the guy I wanted, but once hired, I got on-board. He'll get a recruiting cycle at-least. 

Re: Locksley... I think there should be more appreciation for just where MD was after the death of McNair.
Locksley has done some positive things.  Yes, there is likely a ceiling, and yes, this year was a step-back.
You can't lose both of those NW and Illinois games. 
And yes, you'd like to be more consistently competitive vs. Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. 

My guess is he will be let go after next season.
And I'll thank for him for bringing some stability.... and then we will see if the next guy can elevate.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:12 PM

Wasn't it said Locksley was the only guy interested in the job after the Durkin debacle? I can see MD football not being a coveted job. MD football, for the most part, always has been irrelevant aside from a couple of Fridge's early years.

MD has been and could be a top BB program. The fact that Willard is the best they could do is troubling. Turgeon was a better hire.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:14 PM

The truth of the matter is if youre not striving for excellence you might as well keep Locksley around. No need to buy him out. Hes a bad coach. We all know that. But hes won 7+ games a year the last 3 years. What are you accomplishing by firing him while also not really striving for greatness

#38 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:14 PM

Wasn't it said Locksley was the only guy interested in the job after the Durkin debacle? I can see MD football not being a coveted job. MD football, for the most part, always has been irrelevant aside from a couple of Fridge's early years.

Correct, only three people applied for and were interviewed for the job: Locksley, Matt Canada, and Pep Hamilton.
@BSLZackKiesel

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:17 PM

There are certainly others who would have taken the job, but it wasn't some extensive list. 
Locksley helped repair wounds (with the McNair family) and in local recruiting circles. That shouldn't be just dismissed as nothing. 
He also wanted the job, and cared about the program. And yeah, any Asst can be at Alabama and have success... but he was the National Asst. of the Year. He's not nothing. 

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,098 posts

Posted 18 November 2023 - 01:18 PM

MD has been and could be a top BB program. The fact that Willard is the best they could do is troubling. Turgeon was a better hire.

Nah people overrate MD basketball. Especially in this current landscape. Its a mid tier D1 program. I woulda argued 10 years ago MD was a top 20 bball program with the potential to be top 10. Not anymore. There are too many other schools that are willing to and do pour much more money and resources into their programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=