• Mashed Potatoes, BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

#1482 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,066 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:34 PM

Very surprised he went three. Encouraging.

#1483 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:27 PM

My guess for tomorrow is Albert Suarez.

#1484 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:30 PM

My guess for tomorrow is Albert Suarez.

I mean they will need a longer term guy so he prob makes more sense to start multiple games than Zimmermann

#1485 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:31 PM

I wonder how close Means is. I would imagine he will start at least 2 more times in AAA. Heck maybe Bradish is back by early May. Throwing 3 inning tonight was kind of a big deal

#1486 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,386 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:35 AM

Mountcastle and O'Hearn both making case to remain with the O's long term.

Santander will come around but right now I have him on the outside looking in. 

Hays is in trouble . The only thing he has going for him right now is that he's under control through 2025 but he's got to start doing something at the plate. Cowser won't stay this hot but its going to be hard to sit him.

And Kjerstad, Stowers, Mayo, and Norby are all currently OPS above .900

What a great problem to have. I think major moves coming this summer.

• russsnyder and 85Knight like this

#1487 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:21 PM

Jay Jaffe: Looking at the roster and the surplus of young talent coming through, I’ve suspected that Santander could be a July trade chip, particularly if Cowser or Kjerstad force the issue.

^ from Fangraphs chat.  I don't know how I feel about that, but it makes some sense.

#1488 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:32 PM

Mountcastle and O'Hearn both making case to remain with the O's long term.

Santander will come around but right now I have him on the outside looking in. 

Hays is in trouble . The only thing he has going for him right now is that he's under control through 2025 but he's got to start doing something at the plate. Cowser won't stay this hot but its going to be hard to sit him.

And Kjerstad, Stowers, Mayo, and Norby are all currently OPS above .900

What a great problem to have. I think major moves coming this summer.

This may sound crazy but IMO Hays is in a better position than O'Hearn because he plays a solid LF/CF. His bat will come around, but likely will have to accept a diminished role as a backup OF. 

If Mountcastle is the O's everyday 1B? There's no role for O'Hearn. Not the way Mayo's been destroying AAA pitching. 

#1489 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:32 PM

The lack of viable RH bats is becoming a problem, and that was made clear today (Hyde really should have just left O'Hearn in the game). Thing is unless you count Norby there aren't really any answers in Norfolk for a RH OF bat to replace Hays.

#1490 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:34 PM

The lack of viable RH bats is becoming a problem, and that was made clear today (Hyde really should have just left O'Hearn in the game). Thing is unless you count Norby there aren't really any answers in Norfolk for a RH OF bat to replace Hays.

[cough]CobyMayo[/cough]

(I know you're talking about a RH OF bat, but Mayo bats right-handed). 

#1491 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:39 PM

[cough]CobyMayo[/cough]

(I know you're talking about a RH OF bat, but Mayo bats right-handed). 

Well yeah, obviously if you are sending Hays down you need to replace him with an OF.

And I concur with your point above, Mayo's path to the big leagues (at least with the Orioles) likely depends on something happening with Mountcastle. Seems like Westburg has entrenched himself as the regular 3B. (for now at least)

#1492 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:41 PM

BlueJays give up 5 runs in the 8th in 9th today to blow the game vs the Yankees. If the idiots had held on we would've been in 1st place

#1493 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:42 PM

Well yeah, obviously if you are sending Hays down you need to replace him with an OF.

And I concur with your point above, Mayo's path to the big leagues (at least with the Orioles) likely depends on something happening with Mountcastle. Seems like Westburg has entrenched himself as the regular 3B. (for now at least)

You have to think Hays will get his swing corrected. He didn't forget how to hit three months shy of his 29th birthday. 

#1494 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:45 PM

You have to think Hays will get his swing corrected. He didn't forget how to hit three months shy of his 29th birthday. 

I really don't want to wait much longer to find out if he does or doesn't. But, I guess right now there aren't many other choices. It's not like McKenna is going to get better results at the plate. Sucky situation.

#1495 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 05:48 PM

I really don't want to wait much longer to find out if he does or doesn't. But, I guess right now there aren't many other choices. It's not like McKenna is going to get better results at the plate. Sucky situation.

Swapping McKenna in for Hays makes sense if the O's have a program for Hays to work on in Norfolk where he can get ABs without hurting the O's. 

Ideally, he'd be one of the game's better 4th OFers with an OPS north of 100 with great range for OPACY's LF & CF. 

#1496 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:04 PM

I will continue to beat the drum that Mayo can and will play third base in the majors. And RF after that if need be. 1B and DH on occasion to get his bat in a lineup.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1497 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 06:50 AM

This may sound crazy but IMO Hays is in a better position than O'Hearn because he plays a solid LF/CF. His bat will come around, but likely will have to accept a diminished role as a backup OF. 

If Mountcastle is the O's everyday 1B? There's no role for O'Hearn. Not the way Mayo's been destroying AAA pitching. 

Meanwhile, O'Hearn is destroying MLB pitching.  He's not going anywhere as long as he keeps that up.

• russsnyder likes this

#1498 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 06:55 AM

Meanwhile, O'Hearn is destroying MLB pitching. He's not going anywhere as long as he keeps that up.

Baffling why youd be picking at O Hearn right now. Obviously he not gonna be a 1.000 OPS guy. Unlikely .900 too. But hes proving to be a legit bat in the middle portion of this lineup vs RHP. Needed. If Holliday is proving anything its the mistake of thinking you can call a Kjerstad or Mayo up an they are going to produce early
  • russsnyder likes this

#1499 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,432 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:01 AM

I will continue to beat the drum that Mayo can and will play third base in the majors. And RF after that if need be. 1B and DH on occasion to get his bat in a lineup.

Thing is Westburg is establishing himself as a reg and playing a solid 3b. Mayo has made some mistakes there. He has to show consistency even if the mechanics and arm are very good. Then there has to be room in the Show. Still time for things to change but Id be giving him a longer look in RF right about now

#1500 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 07:25 AM

Meanwhile, O'Hearn is destroying MLB pitching. He's not going anywhere as long as he keeps that up.

It's laughable that anyone would think that Hays is in a better position than anyone on the roster right now. Especially O'Hearn. The only thing that makes Hays less likely to be traded than O'Hearn is the fact that Hays has virtually no trade value at this point. I read that Hays has been ill and that he lost ten pounds. That said, He only has a slightly better role than Ryan McKenna would have right now if he was on the roster instead of Hays.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

TwentyThirtyFive, makoman

Our Sponsors

width=