1650 replies to this topic

#1181 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 10:41 AM

Wouldn't be shocked to see at least tomorrow and Tuesday rained out.

When's the last double rainout?

#1182 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 07:18 AM

Rain is supposed to stop around noon today.

They should be able to play this evening.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1183 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 06:41 PM

unfortunately...

#1184 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 04:15 AM

Not very likely that they'll play today.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1185 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:40 AM

If they’re serious about getting this game in today, they’ll push back the start to 4:30 like they just did in Philly. 

#1186 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:38 AM

If they don't play today, O's and KC share off days on April 18, September 5th, September 12th, and September 23rd.  April 18th would be cool because they'd play here and then travel to KC for a 3-game series.

Also some other shared days off but they don't make sense for logistics reasons.  May 16 (KC on West coast day prior), June 17 (O's only off day of month & KC on West coast), July 1 (O's on West coast next day), and July 8 (O's on West cost day prior).

I think they'll try to get it in.

#1187 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:43 AM

If they don't play today, O's and KC share off days on April 18, September 5th, September 12th, and September 23rd.  April 18th would be cool because they'd play here and then travel to KC for a 3-game series.

Also some other shared days off but they don't make sense for logistics reasons.  May 16 (KC on West coast day prior), June 17 (O's only off day of month & KC on West coast), July 1 (O's on West coast next day), and July 8 (O's on West cost day prior).

I think they'll try to get it in.

Once this area of torrential rain moves through, the radar is clear for the most part for the exception of thunderstorm cells in WV and points south.  I think you're probably right.  They'll play the game. 

#1188 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:09 AM

Games in April count as much as those in September. IMO in the 5 games we have had so far we played really well twice, fair once (generous maybe), and poor twice. 

And against weak teams. Do better.

#1189 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:36 AM

The offense was bad twice.  Pitching wasn't bad in either of those games, allowing only 4 runs.

I really dislike folding short-term results into season-long narratives.  It's hard to get away from, I get it, but I really don't think anyone would have made "if you fancy yourself a contender..." type declarations in the midst of a 3-2 stretch with 32 runs scored and 19 runs allowed if it occurred any other time of the season.  Nobody would be saying "can't let them bury us" if the Yankees had a 5-game winning streak in June.  It's not stupid, but its kind of purposeless.

So yes, we won't win the division if we score a single run in 40% of our games.  That's not insightful.

• DuffMan and makoman like this

#1190 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:54 AM

The offense was bad twice.  Pitching wasn't bad in either of those games, allowing only 4 runs.

I really dislike folding short-term results into season-long narratives.  It's hard to get away from, I get it, but I really don't think anyone would have made "if you fancy yourself a contender..." type declarations in the midst of a 3-2 stretch with 32 runs scored and 19 runs allowed if it occurred any other time of the season.  Nobody would be saying "can't let them bury us" if the Yankees had a 5-game winning streak in June.  It's not stupid, but its kind of purposeless.

So yes, we won't win the division if we score a single run in 40% of our games.  That's not insightful.

We lost 6 of 7 end of June/start of July last year, scoring 1 or less 3 of those games. Were 6.5 back in the middle of that. Surprisingly the season wasn't over. Lots of stuff happens over 162 games.

#1191 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:12 AM

Didn't mean to imply any long term trend from the first 5 games. Merely an observation that we haven't played that well against weak opposition. Does anybody disagree?

#1192 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:25 AM

Let me know when Elias finally sees the light, and DFA's Hays, Urias, Mateo, Kemp.  The "Next Chapter"

#1193 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:32 AM

Let me know when Elias finally sees the light, and DFA's Hays, Urias, Mateo, Kemp.  The "Next Chapter"

It's crazy for Hays and Urias to be on this list.

• Mackus likes this

#1194 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:35 AM

Didn't mean to imply any long term trend from the first 5 games. Merely an observation that we haven't played that well against weak opposition. Does anybody disagree?

I disagree.  We're +13 in 5 games.  Agree the Angels are terrible, they'll draft top-5.  Royals aren't good but aren't awful either.

#1195 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 April 2024 - 11:50 AM

....and we are -4 the last three games. So we can just agree to disagree. I want to see them do better against lesser opponents than 3-2. But its a looooonggg ways to go for sure.

#1196 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:02 PM

Only comment I'll make is that that Royals roster doesn't look too bad to me.  The top half of that lineup is a for real MLB lineup and the rotation does not look bad to me at all.  The bullpen still seems shaky  and I think the bottom half of the lineup is pretty weak but they could surprise, especially in that division.

The Angels I agree look pretty terrible but Washington's a good manager and I think they'll play hard for him.

#1197 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:28 PM

Harold Reynolds picked KC to take their division this year. I was shocked to see that. Maybe KC isn't so bad. 

As a side note, he also picked the O's to take the AL East

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1198 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 April 2024 - 12:32 PM

Royals are the ‘22 Orioles IMO. I’d be a little surprised if their divisional champs ready quite yet, but they’re intriguing. Never know. Not like it’s a great division. Tigers are sneaky IMO.

#1199 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2024 - 01:53 PM

18th won't work. It would give the Royals too many consecutive days without an off day. (23 straight)

• Mackus likes this

#1200 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:18 PM

Royals are the ‘22 Orioles IMO. I’d be a little surprised if their divisional champs ready quite yet, but they’re intriguing. Never know. Not like it’s a great division. Tigers are sneaky IMO.

I was going to make that comparison. They are far from a bad team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=