1650 replies to this topic

#1201 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 02:32 PM

I was going to make that comparison. They are far from a bad team.

I'm not sold on KC just yet.  If they're still around .500 by the end of May, I'll concede they've improved.  They could just as easily be spiraling towards another 95-100 loss season.  

#1202 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 07:08 PM

I'm not sold on KC just yet. If they're still around .500 by the end of May, I'll concede they've improved. They could just as easily be spiraling towards another 95-100 loss season.

They have a lot of young talent. They play hard and don't give away outs, and their pitching is low key very good. I think they're an 86 win team with higher upside.

#1203 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:06 AM

Just amazing the offensive numbers Norfolk is putting up.  The wind must have been blowing out yesterday. (26-11)

#1204 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:22 AM

Just amazing the offensive numbers Norfolk is putting up.  The wind must have been blowing out yesterday. (26-11)

Hays, Mateo, Kemp gone

Holliday, Kjerstad, Stowers do it

#1205 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:23 AM

Hays, Mateo, Kemp gone

This is more of a comment that belongs in a reactionary game thread but I'm putting it here...

#1206 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:51 AM

Just amazing the offensive numbers Norfolk is putting up. The wind must have been blowing out yesterday. (26-11)

That box score last night was ridiculous. It looked like a softball game where the other pitcher had too many beers.
  • fishteacher and jamesdean like this

#1207 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 April 2024 - 08:06 AM

Hays, Mateo, Kemp gone

Why not?

They are 4-2 without pretty much zero from those three guys. Get to where they get the extra year of control and bring them up. Sure not all at once but the sooner they get up the sooner they can adjust to ML pitching and be ready for October. Oh and don't forget Mayo and Norby.  :mrgreen:

• BobPhelan likes this

#1208 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 08:38 AM

Why not?

They are 4-2 without pretty much zero from those three guys. Get to where they get the extra year of control and bring them up. Sure not all at once but the sooner they get up the sooner they can adjust to ML pitching and be ready for October. Oh and don't forget Mayo and Norby.  :mrgreen:

Fine with me,  if I hear about Mateo's speed one more time.  I keep thinking of the Earl Weaver audio clip where they ask for his thoughts about speed....

Mayo has had several errors early this year, so I'm sure they want him to improve on that. My guess is Urias would have to be dealt to to make room for him.   Norby I don't know how they get him up here this year.

#1209 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 08:51 AM

Trade Urias for literally anything, bring up Holliday to play 2B and move Westburg to 3B. Bring up Kjerstad and DFA Tony Kemp. Norby has been playing mostly corner outfield so maybe he's an option if they prefer a right handed bat.

#1210 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:19 AM

Trade Urias for literally anything, bring up Holliday to play 2B and move Westburg to 3B. Bring up Kjerstad and DFA Tony Kemp. Norby has been playing mostly corner outfield so maybe he's an option if they prefer a right handed bat.

I've been a big fan of Urias versatility, but yes I think it may be time to move him too.  In this scenario though you aren't moving any of the Outfielders on the roster.  He's not even playing Cowser all the time yet so I would hate to see Kjerstad just sit on the bench. I guess you could move Hays to the 4th OF spot and then start Cowser.

#1211 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:45 AM

I'd have a bit of trouble just dumping Hays. But Urias and Mateo? Move on. And Kemp? We know the ONLY reason he is on this roster. 

#1212 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:48 AM

Norby could easily be playing right now at 2B and/or in the corner OF against lefties if they're comfortable enough with his D. It will get tougher once others are called up though of course. However even after that, there is potentially a role for a good righty bat that they're comfortable with getting limited playing time.

#1213 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 10:30 AM

The sooner Elias moves on from Hays, Urias, Mateo &Kemp, the better; "The Next Chapter" - well then turn the freakin' page. 

#1214 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 10:58 AM

The sooner Elias moves on from Hays, Urias, Mateo &Kemp, the better; "The Next Chapter" - well then turn the freakin' page. 

It may happen in waves during the course of the season but there's no way Elias is going to implement anything that sudden and extensive all at once.  Hays and Mateo aren't going anywhere for 2024 but I could see them moving on from Urias and especially, Kemp.  

#1215 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,887 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:02 PM

I'd have a bit of trouble just dumping Hays. But Urias and Mateo? Move on. And Kemp? We know the ONLY reason he is on this roster. 

I'm being honest and not snarky...why IS HE on this roster?

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#1216 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:15 PM

Good question but its not like he's a bad hitter and he is still pretty solid defensively.

#1217 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:25 PM

I think 1 of Urias and Mateo is a good 26th man for the roster.  Both?  Barf.

I'm not sure what good Mateo's defensive flexibility is if he's a complete butcher in CF.  I'd probably rather keep Urias because he has a track record of being able to hit his way out of a paper bag, while Mateo doesn't.  But I guess if you want someone that can pretend to be a CFer then you have to keep Mateo.

Regardless Kemp should be gone and Urias should have Kemp's spot on the bench.  If Holliday keeps hitting like this then his ROY voting is going to make us lose the extra year of control anyway, so you have to call him up.

#1218 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:43 PM

I think 1 of Urias and Mateo is a good 26th man for the roster.  Both?  Barf.

I'm not sure what good Mateo's defensive flexibility is if he's a complete butcher in CF.  I'd probably rather keep Urias because he has a track record of being able to hit his way out of a paper bag, while Mateo doesn't.  But I guess if you want someone that can pretend to be a CFer then you have to keep Mateo.

Regardless Kemp should be gone and Urias should have Kemp's spot on the bench.  If Holliday keeps hitting like this then his ROY voting is going to make us lose the extra year of control anyway, so you have to call him up.

I voiced this before...will the O's keep him down long enough to keep him out of the ROY conversation by the mere fact that he wasn't up long enough? Not talking about rookie at bats but getting less time than his peers would have an impact on the voting. I think they just need to bring him up the DAY the team has gained the extra year of control. If he still wins ROY well damn that's a good problem to have! Win the WS in 2024 and worry about 2030 say like 5 years from now....lol

#1219 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,974 posts

Posted 04 April 2024 - 12:58 PM

They want a left-handed hitter who can play 2B.  He'll be gone once they call up Holliday.

#1220 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 April 2024 - 01:46 PM

I voiced this before...will the O's keep him down long enough to keep him out of the ROY conversation by the mere fact that he wasn't up long enough? Not talking about rookie at bats but getting less time than his peers would have an impact on the voting. I think they just need to bring him up the DAY the team has gained the extra year of control. If he still wins ROY well damn that's a good problem to have! Win the WS in 2024 and worry about 2030 say like 5 years from now....lol

No shot we keep him down long enough to prevent him from getting ROY. At least IMO.

We can still get the PPI pick if we call him up before April 10, so if his OPS is still 1.000 at that point I think we should just call him up and see if he can get us a pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=