#1441 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 14 April 2024 - 10:11 AM

Bradish will pitch in Bowie next week. No setbacks, velocity is normal. LFG.

Need him back so bad. I’m the eternal pessimist but it looks like we dodged a major bullet here

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1442 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 10:16 AM

Need him back so bad. I’m the eternal pessimist but it looks like we dodged a major bullet here

Its a matter of time but maybe he makes it through '24. Hell, maybe '25 too but if he makes it through the 5 years we have him under team control without needing TJ it will be a miracle.

#1443 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 10:22 AM

Only time will tell but the miracle to me will be if he gets through this year without having season ending surgery. 

#1444 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

I think some context is relevant. Holliday is the #1 prospect in baseball. He was the # 1 overall draft pick. While baseball is a game of failure, I doubt that He has likely ever been benched or demoted in his entire life. While I doubt that he folds because of his pedigree, being demoted would definitely affect his psyche at least temporarily.

All the points you made in this post, is why I totally disagree with the idea that his psyche would be adversely affected. Baseball is far and away the toughest sport when it comes to moving up to the bigs. It's usual for the most elite of prospects to struggle though the transition. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1445 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:41 PM

Fair enough.

However, we are not talking about a twelfth round draft pick out of HS who has clawed their way to the big leagues by the age of 23. He's 20, and was taken in the 2022 draft. Further, he blew through the minor league levels with ease. In short, everything has been pretty easy up to this point. Hopefully,he breaks out and he doesn't have to face the demotion.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1446 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:13 PM

Fair enough.

However, we are not talking about a twelfth round draft pick out of HS who has clawed their way to the big leagues by the age of 23. He's 20, and was taken in the 2022 draft. Further, he blew through the minor league levels with ease. In short, everything has been pretty easy up to this point. Hopefully,he breaks out and he doesn't have to face the demotion.

I suspect he will, and he'll be fine. We all know the pressure of that first hit is immense. Once he gets it out of the way, he'll probably settle in nicely.   

• russsnyder likes this

#1447 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:16 PM

I suspect he will, and he'll be fine. We all know the pressure of that first hit is immense. Once he gets it out of the way, he'll probably settle in nicely.

It seemingly can't come soon enough.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1448 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:27 PM

Might be time for a Hyde closed door meeting.

#1449 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 02:38 PM

Might be time for a Hyde closed door meeting.

Hyde isnt the guy to take us where we want to go. Hopefully last year didnt earn him too much leash.

#1450 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:25 PM

7-0 in Burnes & Rodriguez starts.
2-6 in other starts.

Hope the rest of the rotation can start pulling some more weight. Not all their fault, offensive support hasn't always been there for them, but those guys pitching better and/or being replaced by Means and eventually Bradish and then pitching better will be a real boost.

#1451 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 06:59 PM

2-6 in other starts.

Hope the rest of the rotation can start pulling some more weight. Not all their fault, offensive support hasn't always been there for them, but those guys pitching better and/or being replaced by Means and eventually Bradish and then pitching better will be a real boost.

Outside of this series, most of the starting pitching(other than Irvin) has been solid.  And that includes Kremer.  That 2-6 record has been more a case of lousy hitting and suspect defense in my opinion.  Could have easily been 5-3 or at least 4-4.  But you're right, the Brewers series was a horrible pitching display for the most part and that has to change going forward.  It would also be nice if certain every day players started hitting more consistently.  We all know who they are. 

#1452 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:19 PM

The sweepless streak isnt all that important to me but still its pretty impressive how long its been. We have to remember it wasnt just all of '23 but stretches back to either May or June of 2022. Pretty sure we have the modern record and are just extending it at this point.

#1453 Grindelwald

Grindelwald
  • Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 07:21 PM

The sweepless streak isnt all that important to me but still it’s pretty impressive how long it’s been. We have to remember it wasnt just all of '23 but stretches back to either May or June of 2022. Pretty sure we have the modern record and are just extending it at this point.

I’m pretty sure Adley has never been part of a series where the O’s were swept.

#1454 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 07:10 AM

I’m pretty sure Adley has never been part of a series where the O’s were swept.

Reg series yes, Texas swept the O’s in last year’s divisional round 4-0.

#1455 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 07:11 AM

Reg series yes, Texas swept the O’s in last year’s divisional round 4-0.

Gee, thanks. I'm sure everyone needed help remembering that. :)

Also it was "only" 3-0.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#1456 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 15 April 2024 - 03:32 PM

2-6 in other starts.

Grayson and Corbin, then pray for a pourin'

• 1970 likes this

#1457 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 09:34 PM

The sweepless streak isnt all that important to me but still its pretty impressive how long its been. We have to remember it wasnt just all of '23 but stretches back to either May or June of 2022. Pretty sure we have the modern record and are just extending it at this point.

Fourth longest.  This from a weekly article posted on Fangraphs (https://blogs.fangra...ories-to-share/):

The Baltimore Orioles have gone 94 consecutive regular season series of at least two decisions without being swept. Per the Elias Sports Bureau, that is the fourth-longest streak in MLB history, trailing the 1942-1944 St. Louis Cardinals (124), 1906-1909 Chicago Cubs (115), and 1903-1905 New York Giants (105).

#1458 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 April 2024 - 07:35 AM

Saw an ad last night for the Brandon Hyde bobble head coming up.  It got me thinking, where does Hyde rank in the list of favorite O's skippers.

I'm sure Earl is # 1 for most if not all O's fans.  Buck is my #2.   After that though Hyde may be my #3 and then Davey.

#1459 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 08:06 AM

Johnny Oates was a good manager. 

• DuffMan and russsnyder like this

#1460 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2024 - 11:39 AM

Saw an ad last night for the Brandon Hyde bobble head coming up.  It got me thinking, where does Hyde rank in the list of favorite O's skippers.

I'm sure Earl is # 1 for most if not all O's fans.  Buck is my #2.   After that though Hyde may be my #3 and then Davey.

I realized I didn't actually answer your question about Hyde.

For me, the jury is still out. And I don't mean for that to be a bad reflection on him. I like his demeanor and his calm energy. I like how he rotates guys in and out of games, that's a very Felipe Alou type of managing. Winning matters, and that's the part that still needs time to review the results. It's a shame that he kept the '22 team in contention, only to have Elias tell him to sit tight, because a '22 post season appearance didn't align with his plan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=