521 replies to this topic

#21 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 October 2023 - 07:30 AM

His major league debut was against them too. But he’s a different pitcher now.

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 08:43 AM

JJ Hardy throwing out the first pitch.

#23 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 October 2023 - 08:57 AM

Prediction: If the O's only score 2 runs they lose.

In their last 11 games they have scored 32 runs. We all knew coming in that this team can go on extended offensive funks. We also know that they can bust out of them at any moment. Today would be a good time to bust out.

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2023 - 09:02 AM

Montgomery has been excellent in his last 5 starts (34 IP, 2 runs).

The O's traded for the wrong Cardinal, but let's not let that prevent a win by the black and orange today. I'll be there again today. Let's go O's!

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 09:05 AM

They didnt really face much stress or pressure all year. Things were very smooth throughout. Thats a credit to their consistency but now they got the stress and the pressure in spades today. You just cant lose both home games to start a series and expect to survive. Lets see what these players and coaches got when things are really ratcheted up. Hyde said postgame we need to score early. Yeah that would go a long ways to easing some pressure. Along with not falling behind and playing catch up

#26 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 09:52 AM

Hays and Mullins have to contribute. They have been in a month long funk and it has bogged the offense down. Nobody else is hot but those two are giving the offense nothing right now.

Hyde has to not over manage. He tried to do too much yesterday but at the end of the day you have to score when you get the lead off runner on the last 3 innings. Texas' bullpen tried to give it to us but we refused to take it.

This team is resilient. Get it done today and it's a brand new series.

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:14 AM

They didnt really face much stress or pressure all year. Things were very smooth throughout. Thats a credit to their consistency but now they got the stress and the pressure in spades today. You just cant lose both home games to start a series and expect to survive. Lets see what these players and coaches got when things are really ratcheted up. Hyde said postgame we need to score early. Yeah that would go a long ways to easing some pressure. Along with not falling behind and playing catch up

Losing first two games to the Rays then facing Glasnow is a lot of pressure. Also was a 4-game skid right before the break they had to bust out of. I don't think it was close to a stress-free season. Obviously everything pales to playoffs, though.

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:14 AM

Hays and Mullins have to contribute. They have been in a month long funk and it has bogged the offense down. Nobody else is hot but those two are giving the offense nothing right now.

Hays & Mullins OPS by Month '23

Hays

April .954
May .819

June. 851

July .448

Aug .858

Sept .695

Mullins
April .794
May .877

June (.533, 20 abs)
July  (.784, 37 abs)

Aug .615

Sept. .587

Mullins 2022 OPS .721, 2023 OPS .721

#29 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:15 AM

It was definitely not stress free -- we had the Rays on our ass pretty much up until the last week of the season.  Those games were big, and they showed up.

I dunno, I just feel like this team never gets too high or low.  I think they're coming into today expecting to win.  I expect them to win.

• Mackus and russsnyder like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,601 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:16 AM

But yes, certain guys need to start contributing soon.  Mullins is obv gonna play but I wouldn't mind him out of the lineup today against a lefty.  And, Jesus, do NOT pinch hit Frazier the second Bochy goes to the pen -- he outmanaged Hyde yesterday.  I thought Bochy did us a favor pulling Heaney that quickly and Hyde did him an even bigger favor by pinch hitting Frazier who is pretty much worthless.

That and whatever the hell happened in the 9th with Gunnar running falls on the manager -- he had a bad game.

• CantonJester likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#31 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:18 AM

JJ Hardy throwing out the first pitch.

Not Delmon? Hardy did score the run though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:19 AM

Even if they lose today, I wouldn't be surprised if they get back into the series or win.  
They've played well on the road all year, and it's a 5 game series. 
Without looking, how many times have they won 3 in a row this year? Probably 10 or more, right?
Each game a new day.  
Win today, worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. 

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:20 AM

I'm not much of a bunting fan, but if I recall correctly, they were giving Cedric a great bunting chance with their positioning yesterday, so if that's the case I'd like to see him bunt his way on against a lefty while he's struggling. 

#34 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:42 AM

in the roster discussion I said I was concerned that they didn't roster McKenna. Today would be a day when I would have sat Mullins and went with McKenna. Lose a bit on D but Mullins is totally lost against lefties right now.

This is playoff baseball. You have to take a different mindset than during the regular season. You play Mullins even against lefties to try and get him going against them. That's a fine approach during a 162 game regular season. But playoffs are not the same thing. Can't play the long game here. Unfortunately I am not sure that Hicks in center helps enough at the plate compared to the bigger drop off in defense.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:55 AM

Picking nits. Yeah, they played some big games during the year but they were always comfortably in the playoffs. They never got swept. Never loss more than 4 in a row. Thats not something that really tests you. That had a safety net the whole way. This is do or die

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:57 AM

Montgomery has been excellent in his last 5 starts (34 IP, 2 runs).

The O's traded for the wrong Cardinal, but let's not let that prevent a win by the black and orange today. I'll be there again today. Let's go O's!

My #1 trade target leading into the deadline. Said it numerous times. Hes prob gonna be my top realistic target this offseason.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 11:07 AM

in the roster discussion I said I was concerned that they didn't roster McKenna. Today would be a day when I would have sat Mullins and went with McKenna. Lose a bit on D but Mullins is totally lost against lefties right now.

This is playoff baseball. You have to take a different mindset than during the regular season. You play Mullins even against lefties to try and get him going against them. That's a fine approach during a 162 game regular season. But playoffs are not the same thing. Can't play the long game here. Unfortunately I am not sure that Hicks in center helps enough at the plate compared to the bigger drop off in defense.

Can't argue with the recent performance but I still trust Mullins more today than McKenna or Hicks. I'd play Mullins over those guys 100%.

#38 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2023 - 11:16 AM

I honestly can’t bring myself to give even half a F about this football game starting soon.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#39 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 11:19 AM

Can't argue with the recent performance but I still trust Mullins more today than McKenna or Hicks. I'd play Mullins over those guys 100%.

Right. Mullins could be swinging a wet blanket at bat and still be significantly better in CF than either McKenna or Hicks.

#40 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 October 2023 - 11:27 AM

Right. Mullins could be swinging a wet blanket at bat and still be significantly better in CF than either McKenna or Hicks.

I don't think that is the whole question at all. Nobody disagrees with he's the best defender. The question is doesnhis upside on defense make up for his zero at the plate right now? Maybe the answer is yes? Maybe the best chance to win is still having him in the lineup. I just would rather be playing a RH hitter today. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=