521 replies to this topic

#521 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2023 - 12:49 PM

Couldn't have made a much worse decision going with Baker then followed up by Webb. Not many options and definitely too early to go with Cano.

Flaherty isn't very good, either, but I'd trust him more than Baker.

Bases loaded and your starter is already knocked out, you can justify going to Cano. It's the playoffs. High leverage situations are exponentially higher leverage because they can bring you a step closer to ending your season. If Cano gets out of that down 5-2, or 6-2, there is still no guarantee he's needed for a save situation. A lot of game left, but at least you kept it close rather than putting your worst guy out there and the worst thing happens. Cano's appearance was nothing more than getting some experience, or a bullpen session type appearance since he hadn't pitched in a while.

I can sleep at night if you go to your high leverage pitcher in a high leverage situation, then have to rely on someone else in the late innings if that opportunity even presents itself. At least you took your shot. Saving a guy for a situation that might not even come up is stupid to me. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#522 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 October 2023 - 03:10 PM

There were several ways to go even after the horrible decision to go to Baker in the first place.

But sure as heck it would have been appropriate to go to Cano there over Webb. That was a punt on this game and lets move on. You can not manage that way in the playoffs. Just gut wrenching piss poor decisions.

• 85Knight likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=