58 replies to this topic

#21 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:31 PM

Yup. And of course Fuji is only going to go in 1 inning stints. He has thrown 2 damn innings. People are ridiculous with the SSS crap

Cano is on the same level as the other guys in this grouping. Not ahead. Anyone who can look at under the hood stuff knows this. His BA against since June is over .300. He doesnt K guys. If you want to take Cano to finish out with the best or 2nd best WPA over the last two months of the 5 guys listed you can go for it. It probably wouldnt be wise. Nonetheless he will remain in the late inning mix. Hes just not an ideal setup guy. Nor is it Fuji ideally. Its someone they can acquire at the deadline

My argument is not that Cano has been fantastic lately. My point is that Cano has, inarguably, had a year several orders of magnitude better than Fuji, and for some reason you give him a pass when he was acquired with an 8.57 ERA and its managed to go up in both outings he's been given. And the excuse is because he's nervous? He's 29 years old! He's been in professional baseball for ten years! His stats and outings from his time in Oakland still count - its not like he magically transformed into someone else. Why you're acting like stuff that happened in a different uniform don't matter is beyond me.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:43 PM

THe MLB is a different beast. Hes a rookie. Period. If Fuji is a "vet then so is every other 26  or 27 yr old RP who toiled away in the minors for 7 or 8 years before breaking through and finally performing in MLB. WHich of course the MLB is littered with just that. Guys who toil away and find the waiver wires and eventually figure something out and are reliable RPs for a matter of time. Its ridiculous to be passing judgement after 2 innings. Or angling that he is some vet who shouldnt have nerves or should have things figured out at this point as if there is no upside

#23 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 07:25 PM

THe MLB is a different beast. Hes a rookie. Period. If Fuji is a "vet then so is every other 26 or 27 yr old RP who toiled away in the minors for 7 or 8 years before breaking through and finally performing in MLB. WHich of course the MLB is littered with just that. Guys who toil away and find the waiver wires and eventually figure something out and are reliable RPs for a matter of time. Its ridiculous to be passing judgement after 2 innings. Or angling that he is some vet who shouldnt have nerves or should have things figured out at this point s if there is no upside

It's July. He's been a major league pitcher for four months in addition to 10 years in Japan. Stop making excuses for the inexcusable. If nerves are really the reason he's been horrendous his first two outings here, he's never going to not be nervous.

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 07:44 PM

My lord is that just horrible logic. All the way around. Unsurprising you are a reactionary Ricky. Its what you do. No ability to step back and not be emotional. You take the last word Mr  Baseball

#25 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 07:55 PM

My lord is that just horrible logic. All the way around. Unsurprising you are a reactionary Ricky. Its what you do. No ability to step back and not be emotional. You take the last word Mr Baseball

You wanted Hyde fired after game 2. How's that for reactionary?

#26 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 07:59 PM

Fujinami has plus, maybe even elite stuff. The fastball might be straight but it’s still 98-102 and he blew two right past Randy Arozarena who likes a good fastball. The split looks good. The question is can he get ahead in the count with his fastball in order to get a chase on the split or an out of the zone fastball. I think he can but he’s no sure thing. Sure going to be fun watching if he can.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 08:00 PM

You wanted Hyde fired after game 2. How's that for reactionary?

While understanding its not reasonable to fire him now I stand by that hes a poor manager. And I would looking to move on asap. The results so far this year change nothing about his lack of feel and his poor BP management

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 08:01 PM

Fujinami has plus, maybe even elite stuff. The fastball might be straight but it’s still 98-102 and he blew two right past Randy Arozarena who likes a good fastball. The split looks good. The question is can he get ahead in the count with his fastball in order to get a chase on the split or an out of the zone fastball. I think he can but he’s no sure thing. Sure going to be fun watching if he can.

Lots of fun. And yes, its all about working ahead. His outing Friday was that. He got sniped on a first pitch fastball but he worked ahead and was electric in that outing. If that Fuji shows up we will be just fine.

#29 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 July 2023 - 06:41 AM

Lots of fun. And yes, its all about working ahead. His outing Friday was that. He got sniped on a first pitch fastball but he worked ahead and was electric in that outing. If that Fuji shows up we will be just fine.

Hopefully he gets another shot tonight to step up in a big situation.  No Felix, Cano and Baumann tonight.  

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#30 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 July 2023 - 08:36 AM

Hopefully he gets another shot tonight to step up in a big situation.  No Felix, Cano and Baumann tonight.  

I'd prefer we blow the Phillies out and don't need any of our relievers!

#31 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 08:39 AM

No Felix, Cano and Baumann tonight.  

It also seemed like Baker and Coulombe were warming for like half of the game yesterday.

#32 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:43 PM

It also seemed like Baker and Coulombe were warming for like half of the game yesterday.

They both will be up tonight, as will Irvin (long), Perez and Fuji.  It will be interesting to see who gets the ball if the Orioles are protecting the lead in the 9th.

@mikeghg

#33 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:43 PM

I'd prefer we blow the Phillies out and don't need any of our relievers!

That would be nice but probably not likely.

@mikeghg

#34 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:45 PM

If we get in a high lev position tonight I want them to give the ball to Fuji. Only have 2 weeks to figure out if he's any kind of help or not.

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:52 PM

If we get in a high lev position tonight I want them to give the ball to Fuji. Only have 2 weeks to figure out if he's any kind of help or not.

That would be my choice, although, I could see it be Baker or Coulombe.

@mikeghg

#36 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:57 PM

That would be my choice, although, I could see it be Baker or Coulombe.

Agree but I don't trust either of those 2 guys much at all. 

#37 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 July 2023 - 01:06 PM

While understanding its not reasonable to fire him now I stand by that hes a poor manager. And I would looking to move on asap. The results so far this year change nothing about his lack of feel and his poor BP management

I don't think there's any reason to believe the modern MLB manager's decision-making in an analytical front office will change meaningfully depending on who has the job. If Hyde can keep the clubhouse focused, in a good mood, etc then there's no reason to move on from someone who'll follow the same spreadsheets that Hyde gets. 

#38 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 July 2023 - 01:15 PM

I don't think there's any reason to believe the modern MLB manager's decision-making in an analytical front office will change meaningfully depending on who has the job. If Hyde can keep the clubhouse focused, in a good mood, etc then there's no reason to move on from someone who'll follow the same spreadsheets that Hyde gets. 

S[readsheets don't say anything about getting guys up and down multiple times in a game. 

Spreadsheets only deal in probabilities over many samples. They don't look at how a pitcher is pitching at the moment or how a hitter is or is not dialed in at the moment. And a host of other factors.

I get your point but managing a baseball team is a lot more than looking at spreadsheets. That data is valuable for sure. But its not the end all decision making tool.

#39 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:01 PM

Maybe it's an Astros problem?

As an Oriole:

Fujinami vs Houston stat line (3 appearances) 1.1 IP 3 Hits, 7 ER, 5 BBs, ZERO Ks, 47.25 ERA

Vs everyone else: 26.1 IP, 17 Hits, 8 ER, 8 BBs, 31! Ks, 2.73 ERA

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#40 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

Fujinami's stats 7th on and the game is close (within 1-2 runs)

As an Oriole: (again minus the Astros...cause it's documented)

10.1 IP, 4 Hits, 3 ER, 4 Walks, 13 Ks, 2 Saves, 2.61 ERA

Again, not saying you have to trust him, but I think it's better than most people think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=