Sorry. Still don't trust him.

#43 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure eliminating games against one particular tough opponent (who will all but likely be in the postseason) is anything to hang your hat on. 

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:03 PM

Guess who he’ll be facing at some point this off-season.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:10 PM

Guess who he’ll be facing at some point this off-season.

Nobody. I don't think he should be on the roster for any series, no matter if the opponent is Houston or otherwise.

#46 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,322 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 September 2023 - 07:31 PM

Ok I get the sentiment and don't necessarily disagree. 

But if you find yourself in a situation where you really gotta have a K who are you putting out there if its not Fuji?

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,604 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 10:11 PM

Nobody. I don't think he should be on the roster for any series, no matter if the opponent is Houston or otherwise.

I wish that were true but he’s making the postseason roster.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#48 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 September 2023 - 10:20 PM

Fuji is this generation’s Benitez. Welcome to the party pals!
  • JeremyStrain likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#49 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 10:27 PM

Fuji is this generation’s Benitez. Welcome to the party pals!

Ill never forgive Armando for that '97 ALCS but he was worlds better than Fuji. Fuji is completely unreliable and just plain bad. Its funny when people try to manipulate numbers like was done above in regards to taking away the Hou outings.
  • russsnyder likes this

#50 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 07:26 AM

Fuji is the reliever version of Ubaldo. 

• russsnyder likes this

#51 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 05:37 AM

Fuji has hit more backstops in game action this season more than I have seen by combined pitchers in my lifetime. It's important to add that I am old. You can't trust this guy right now in a regular season game, much less a playoff game.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 07:37 AM

Ill never forgive Armando for that '97 ALCS but he was worlds better than Fuji. Fuji is completely unreliable and just plain bad. Its funny when people try to manipulate numbers like was done above in regards to taking away the Hou outings.

How is this any different than a platoon hitter though? If you only bat a guy against righties, you’re basically taking away what they do against lefties. If Houston has picked up a tell on Fuji, or they have a ton of success against him for whatever reason, and if other teams hitters don’t, I don’t see why it’s any different than a platoon.

But if his good numbers against teams not Houston are a byproduct of luck or good defense bailing him out, or facing their worst hitters, sure, bench him. There is way more than just ERA obviously.
@BSLMikeRandall

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 08:30 AM

His numbers aren't only bad against Houston.  He's still had a 4.27 ERA as a RP against everyone else which would be worse than all the relievers we're considering rostering.  It doesn't look quite as bad from an OPS-against perspective, but he still walks and hits a ton of guys, so I don't really care.  He's not reliable enough to pitch in the postseason and I think it'd be a mistake to roster him.  The ghost runner rule goes away in the postseason so you don't have to hunt Ks in extras like in the regular season.  Just need guys who can pitch a clean inning and Fuji is way too far down that list to make the roster.

• Mike in STL and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#54 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,322 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:04 AM

I had forgotten that the ghost runner goes away in the post season so yes the potential use of Fuji if you needed a K is greatly diminished.

• Mike B likes this

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:20 AM

His numbers aren't only bad against Houston.  He's still had a 4.27 ERA as a RP against everyone else which would be worse than all the relievers we're considering rostering.  It doesn't look quite as bad from an OPS-against perspective, but he still walks and hits a ton of guys, so I don't really care.  He's not reliable enough to pitch in the postseason and I think it'd be a mistake to roster him.  The ghost runner rule goes away in the postseason so you don't have to hunt Ks in extras like in the regular season.  Just need guys who can pitch a clean inning and Fuji is way too far down that list to make the roster.

I was going by that 2.73 ERA number that was posted. But, yeah, makes sense he's at the end of the line. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#56 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 09:36 AM

I'm not gonna feel good if I see Fuji in a game this month. Of course, hopefully the 13th or whatever pitcher doesn't see the field at all.

Last year the only series that went 6 games was the World Series, and Houston only used 11 pitchers in the series. That works.

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 10:13 AM

I think it likely will be 12 pitchers throughout but your point is taken. Already said, I suspect he and Flaherty both wont make it this round. Interesting decision if it is between the 2.

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2023 - 01:36 PM

I think it likely will be 12 pitchers throughout but your point is taken. Already said, I suspect he and Flaherty both wont make it this round. Interesting decision if it is between the 2.

I will be scared as hell if either is on the game, but if I have to choose, it would probably be Flaherty.  He could give them some length, and has significant playoff experience.

@mikeghg

#59 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 10:33 PM

It has to be Flaherty of Fuji (if it comes down to one of the two). Flaherty can give you length in the event you're down several runs. Fuji can't do that. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=