• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 09:14 AM

Balt Sun: Shintaro Fujinami has ‘electric stuff,’ Rays hitters say. But will he throw enough strikes to bolster the Orioles’ bullpen?

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 09:18 AM

RP can dominate out of nowhere, but I'm not optimistic that he'll be even as good as guys like Baker and Baumann. Should still be looking for two actual, real upgrades to the pen. He doesn't qualify.

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:12 AM

He has no clue where the ball is going. That inning yesterday was an abomination.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:40 AM

Y'all are quitters who know nothing about baseball. It's totally normal for a 29-year-old ten year vet to implode because he's "nervous."

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 July 2023 - 10:56 AM

My only hope for Fuji is that the staff has seen something that they think they can help him correct.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 01:08 PM

RP can dominate out of nowhere, but I'm not optimistic that he'll be even as good as guys like Baker and Baumann. Should still be looking for two actual, real upgrades to the pen. He doesn't qualify.

Hes at least as good as Baker and Baumann. If Fuji has no clue where its going then neither do those two

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 01:09 PM

He has no clue where the ball is going. That inning yesterday was an abomination.

No it wasnt

#8 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 01:55 PM

No it wasnt

If that’s the standard, Wells just had an abomination.

#9 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 04:25 PM

If that’s the standard, Wells just had an abomination.

The two performances aren’t close

@bopper33

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 05:12 PM

No it wasnt

.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 BB, 2 ER, 1 K, 23 pitches - 14 balls and 9 strikes.

That qualifies as an abomination, even if Mateo should have picked him up. Literally no part of that is good. If Cano had put up that line you'd be calling for his release.

#11 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 05:34 PM

He went out there and almost single handedly pissed away a massive lead assembled against one of the best pitchers in baseball.

He rocked back and threw it as hard as he could and had zero control. I don’t want him in any high leverage situations for the time being.

@bopper33

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 05:36 PM

He went out there and almost single handedly pissed away a massive lead assembled against one of the best pitchers in baseball.

He rocked back and threw it as hard as he could and had zero control. I don’t want him in any high leverage situations for the time being.

Or maybe ever. He can mop up until he shows repeatedly that he can get hitters out. They shouldn't even count him as an acquired upgrade.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:01 PM

He said a massive lead. Boy oh boy are you guys reaching

It was 2 runs. 2. It shoulda been 1. My lord. people. You get a pass because youre not slide but dial it back a few. Now, the last sentence is fair and its a good idea. Just understand that what is high or med lev can be blurred.  At minimum, hes gonna have to pitch in tie games or games where we lead in the 6th or the 7th when we are up 2 or 3. Those arent particularly high lev situations.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:09 PM

I’m just saying. Next time he pitches in a close game if he blows the lead we have a real ISSUE on our hands

@bopper33

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:11 PM

Or maybe ever. He can mop up until he shows repeatedly that he can get hitters out. They shouldn't even count him as an acquired upgrade.

Just insanity to be saying this already. And Mack said something similar earlier and I think thats as outrageous after 2 outings. At minimum he has to be sharing the innings that Baumann and Baker pitched most of this year. Hes in that same boat. But to put him in a lesser boat isnt even viable. There are only 8 guys out there. SO he has to be in that boat. He cant be a 2nd Irvin. Moreover its a ridiculous jump to conclusions.

f you want to line up the guys that are later inning set up options right now. Baumann, Baker, COulombe, Cano , and Fuji and start ranking who you think  finishes top to bottom in WPA or some other fair measurment the rest of the year I wont take Fuji as the lowest or 2nd lowest on the list. And Id be confident in that.

#16 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,603 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:14 PM

I should have rephrased. He almost closed the book on pissing away the massive lead.

@bopper33

#17 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:16 PM

Just insanity to be saying this already. And Mack said something similar earlier and I think thats as outrageous after 2 outings. At minimum he has to be sharing the innings that Baumann and Baker pitched most of this year. Hes in that same boat. But to put him in a lesser boat isnt even viable. There are only 8 guys out there. SO he has to be in that boat. He cant be a 2nd Irvin. Moreover its a ridiculous jump to conclusions.

f you want to line up the guys that are later inning set up options right now. Baumann, Baker, COulombe, Cano , and Fuji and start ranking who you think finishes top to bottom in WPA or some other fair measurment the rest of the year I wont take Fuji as the lowest or 2nd lowest on the list. And Id be confident in that.

Again, you're already calling for Cano to be moved out of high leverage situations. If he did what Fuji has done the last two outings you'd be calling for his head.

You're not objective here. Fuji has been abysmal all year outside of a passable relief stretch before his acquisition. It's not like he was just called up.

#18 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,122 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:17 PM

I should have rephrased. He almost closed the book on pissing away the massive lead.

He did his best to piss it away. The rest of the team just didn't cooperate.

#19 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:20 PM

The two performances aren’t close

I was just talking about the 4th inning, where he threw 10 strikes in 27 pitches.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 06:26 PM

I was just talking about the 4th inning, where he threw 10 strikes in 27 pitches.

Yup. And of course Fuji is only going to go in 1 inning stints. He has thrown 2 damn innings. People are ridiculous with the SSS crap

Again, you're already calling for Cano to be moved out of high leverage situations. If he did what Fuji has done the last two outings you'd be calling for his head.

You're not objective here. Fuji has been abysmal all year outside of a passable relief stretch before his acquisition. It's not like he was just called up.

Cano is on the same level as the other guys in this grouping. Not ahead. Anyone who can look at under the hood stuff knows this. His BA against since June is over .300. He doesnt K guys. If you want to take Cano to finish out with the best or 2nd best WPA over the last two months of the 5 guys listed you can go for it. It probably wouldnt be wise. Nonetheless he will remain in the late inning mix. Hes just not an ideal setup guy. Nor is Fuji. Its someone they can acquire at the deadline.
  • CantonJester likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=