#61 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

We all know he'll be given every opportunity to win back the starting job if he's healthy and capable of playing regularly - but Duquette and Buck know it's not something they can, or should, count on happening.

The biggest concern for me, if he does come back healthy, is his defense. He hasn't been a very good 2B since 2006, started to decline in 2007 where he was just an average guy out there with the glove - but his offensive performance helped us overlook his decline in the field, and has been downright horrible in the field since 2009.

His walk rate has also declined in three straight seasons and his k rate has fluctuated from decent to career highs.

Even if he does come back I do not see him being valuable enough to be an everyday player.

Right...which is why I would like to see them release him.

#62 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

Right...which is why I would like to see them release him.

I would've liked to have not seen them offer him a well above market value contract extension when they did but they did.

There's no way he gets released just in case he performs at a high enough level that he could be traded mid-season for a low-level prospect or something. At least that would be my thought process if I were Duquette.

#63 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I would've liked to have not seen them offer him a well above market value contract extension when they did but they did.

There's no way he gets released just in case he performs at a high enough level that he could be traded mid-season for a low-level prospect or something. At least that would be my thought process if I were Duquette.

ZERO chance he's traded. Angelos won't allow it.
@JeremyMStrain

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

If Roberts is healthy, he and Casilla would start on the 25 man roster. If Brian is really bad or gets hurt, Flaherty can replace him.

#65 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

If he's performing that well he likely would have quite a bit of value to the Orioles.

#66 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

If he's performing that well he likely would have quite a bit of value to the Orioles.

True, he likely would - however, if the O's have hit on Casilla then I believe Roberts would become expendable - it is the final year of his contract after all.

#67 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

True, he likely would - however, if the O's have hit on Casilla then I believe Roberts would become expendable - it is the final year of his contract after all.

I think that's why they would keep him. Since it would only be a couple additional months, and if after the past three years he was hitting and fielding well enough to get anything of value in trade, I doubt they would take the hit from the fans and media, even if it would save money. Maybe they would if the team as a whole is playing very poorly, but if he's any kind of contributor to a winner they won't do it.

#68 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Also, it says in the link that DD is not going to pursue other 2B options now and that is bad unless it is lip service.

I think that's GM speak. Obviously it will be tough with the B-Rob contract, but if they could get other low-cost options or somehow work out a trade, who knows? I think part of this is to lessen expectations so he doesn't have to go back later and say, we couldn't get this accomplished.
@levineps

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

MASN: Wondering where Casilla would fit in the lineup

http://www.masnsport...the-lineup.html

Without knowing the other moves that Duquette will make this winter, I'll predict that Casilla bats ninth if he's the starting second baseman on opening day. Nate McLouth could bat leadoff if he re-signs with the Orioles. Otherwise, Nick Markakis could return to the top spot.

I found this interesting. I'm not ruling it out, but I think Markakis will get the spot back.
@levineps

#70 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Bat Markakis lead off, McLouth second, and move Hardy down to sixth or seventh.

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Agree completely.

I don't care if you go McLouth / Nick or Nick / McLouth (well, I do prefer Nick #1, but not strongly enough enough to argue too passionately about it) but it will be an absolutely joke if Hardy is the #2 hitter to start next season again.

If he has a better year with the bat, then maybe you can move him up later if you don't have anyone for that role, but it was a slap in the face to every fan who understands the game to continue to bat him second all the time. For as great of a job as he did, I cannot fathom how Buck thinks it's a defensible, yet alone good, decision to consistently put a guy with one of the worst OBP in the sport that high in the batting order.

#72 dpsmith22

dpsmith22
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

The don't like the move strictly because I want to see Flaherty with 400 at bats.

Did we really lose a player off of the bench to keep Flaherty all year, to demote him to AAA?

This move makes little sense unless Flaherty is trade bait.
@dpsmith22

#73 dpsmith22

dpsmith22
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Agree completely.

I don't care if you go McLouth / Nick or Nick / McLouth (well, I do prefer Nick #1, but not strongly enough enough to argue too passionately about it) but it will be an absolutely joke if Hardy is the #2 hitter to start next season again.

If he has a better year with the bat, then maybe you can move him up later if you don't have anyone for that role, but it was a slap in the face to every fan who understands the game to continue to bat him second all the time. For as great of a job as he did, I cannot fathom how Buck thinks it's a defensible, yet alone good, decision to consistently put a guy with one of the worst OBP in the sport that high in the batting order.

I agree 100%, Hardy is a joke as a #2. Dead pull and swings at everything.

Won't matter anyway, McLouth will be 9th. Roberts will hit leadoff.
@dpsmith22

#74 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

The don't like the move strictly because I want to see Flaherty with 400 at bats.

Did we really lose a player off of the bench to keep Flaherty all year, to demote him to AAA?

It makes plenty of sense. They like Flaherty and hid him on the bench because he is clearly not ready. It's not like they had anyone last year that was forcing his spot off the 25 man roster.
He can go to AAA and refine his game and they now have control of him for a while. He counts as depth, and potentially more if he can improve his game.

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Tucker already responded, but he's dead on. The move for Flaherty always was about stashing him for a year as a utility player so that you could send him to AAA the following season to work on some of the flaws in his game, such as defense at 2B.

I wouldn't expect Flaherty to spend the entire year at AAA, he'll be 26 next year after all, but unless he has an amazing ST, he should start the season in Norfolk to work on his fielding and getting on base more often.

#76 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

If they weren't both LHB's, that would be a shoe-in... or the reverse of that... but they are... so it isn't...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

If they weren't both LHB's, that would be a shoe-in... or the reverse of that... but they are... so it isn't...

Which is dumb because Nick usually hits lefties well...and McLouth really shouldn't play vs lefties, at least not on any kind of a regular basis.

But still, his strength is OBP and working the count...Nothing wrong with having that in the second spot.

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

Assuming Nate is on the team, I'd platoon him with Reimold if healthy, Hoes otherwise. That platoon partner could hit 2nd.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Assuming Nate is on the team, I'd platoon him with Reimold if healthy, Hoes otherwise. That platoon partner could hit 2nd.

Or first, if it's Nolan and he's healthy and effective.

I'm really warming to a McLouth and Reimold split in LF. It's dangerous to count on much from Reimold, but as long as we stash a couple AAAA types in Norfolk who can hit LHP (Pearce is a perfect candidate) who can come to the rescue if (when?) Nolan gets hurt, then I think that would be a good use of our limited resources this offseason. Since we probably aren't signing anyone else for 2B either, we could then use the remainder of funds available to go after a decent SP.

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Or first, if it's Nolan and he's healthy and effective.

I'm really warming to a McLouth and Reimold split in LF. It's dangerous to count on much from Reimold, but as long as we stash a couple AAAA types in Norfolk who can hit LHP (Pearce is a perfect candidate) who can come to the rescue if (when?) Nolan gets hurt, then I think that would be a good use of our limited resources this offseason. Since we probably aren't signing anyone else for 2B either, we could then use the remainder of funds available to go after a decent SP.

I agree. And as stated, I think Hoes is a very good backup option of that platoon role. I'd even consider Hoes to platoon in LF and Reimold to platoon at DH if there's enough room on the roster. A guy like Gomes or Hairston could be an option too. Or Napoli as the backup C/DH vs lefties, but that's probably not a big enough role for him and he'll likely get paid a decent amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=