• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Willie "The Silent Assassin" Boomquist better be on there. He pretty much defines replacement level.

You'd be kinda surprised who is on there...couple former Orioles. Another requirement is that they have at least 4500 mlb AB. It's been interesting.
@JeremyMStrain

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I read that this means Duq will not go after any other second baseman.

So, either he is overrating the 3 second baseman we have or he believes that they are fine placeholders for Schoop...which means he won't be dealt this offseason.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I read that this means Duq will not go after any other second baseman.

So, either he is overrating the 3 second baseman we have or he believes that they are fine placeholders for Schoop...which means he won't be dealt this offseason.

I'd be surprised if both Andino and Casilla are on the team come December (when I think Andino gets non-tendered). I think it'll be Flaherty and Casilla in a platoon (though Casilla isn't good against LHP), or a better 1-year option signed for about $3M (Keppinger?) and Casilla as the backup and Flaherty in AAA. I think the second option is pretty unlikely, though (as you stated earlier), with Roberts still at least hovering in the background I can't see them signing a $3-4M 2B and a $1.75-2M utility guy.

#44 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

I've thought for awhile now that we wouldn't persue a FA 2B. This confirms it, though it increases the chances Andino is a DFA candidate. They just have enough money already tied up in the position with Roberts plus they have a top 100 or so prospect at the position in the minors and Flaherty who flashed some ability this past year. Since I pretty much accepted that we weren't going to go after a big upgrade at 2b it makes this move a pretty good one. I think Casilla is clearly an upgrade over Andino.

#45 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'd be surprised if both Andino and Casilla are on the team come December (when I think Andino gets non-tendered). I think it'll be Flaherty and Casilla in a platoon (though Casilla isn't good against LHP), or a better 1-year option signed for about $3M (Keppinger?) and Casilla as the backup and Flaherty in AAA. I think the second option is pretty unlikely, though (as you stated earlier), with Roberts still at least hovering in the background I can't see them signing a $3-4M 2B and a $1.75-2M utility guy.

You basically said everything I was thinking. My thought is that they will platoon Casilla and Flaherty, or if Roberts is ready by spring, him and Roberts and put Flaherty in AAA. My thought is that Reynold will be back and they will look to upgrade LF. I am not certain what direction they will go to do so, but I believe they are looking for a good bat to come out of LF. Another alternative is they save money by not bringing Reynolds back, put Davis at 1st, DH Reimold, and add a good LF with the money they save from not signing Reynolds. Of course, these are a lot of "what ifs" but it is worth thinking about.
@Langley486

#46 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

I've thought for awhile now that we wouldn't persue a FA 2B. This confirms it, though it increases the chances Andino is a DFA candidate. They just have enough money already tied up in the position with Roberts plus they have a top 100 or so prospect at the position in the minors and Flaherty who flashed some ability this past year. Since I pretty much accepted that we weren't going to go after a big upgrade at 2b it makes this move a pretty good one. I think Casilla is clearly an upgrade over Andino.

I think he is too. Casilla is one of those low risk moves that can make a GM look like a genius. If he fails, who cares? Didn't pay him much at all.
@Langley486

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

I think it's also clear that Roberts is going to get the first crack at 2b. I believe I read where DD or Buck said that after the season ended. Now, I completely understand the thought that you can't rely on him to be healthy and or that even if he is healthy he might not be productive. But we have depth at the position with Casilla, Flaherty and Schoop. With 10 mil tied up in the guy I think you have to assume he is your starting 2b entering the year. You just can't go out and spend another 4+ mil more at the position with the uncertainty of BRob.

#48 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

I think it's also clear that Roberts is going to get the first crack at 2b. I believe I read where DD or Buck said that after the season ended. Now, I completely understand the thought that you can't rely on him to be healthy and or that even if he is healthy he might not be productive. But we have depth at the position with Casilla, Flaherty and Schoop. With 10 mil tied up in the guy I think you have to assume he is your starting 2b entering the year. You just can't go out and spend another 4+ mil more at the position with the uncertainty of BRob.

And it's not like we can make B-Rob retire. Our hands are tied with that deal, so I can understand our logic. You can't even argue that he's taken up a roster spot, because injured players don't do that. If Roberts is healthy, he's our starting second baseman. I use that term very loosely because I'm not even sure how much Roberts can contribute at this point. Plus we have to keep an eye on him because of his concussion.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

I like the fact that he brings speed and defense, but those liking him now will be non impressed when seein his bat in the lineup 400 times.

A good guy to have as a back up. Not someone I want starting.

More speed than Andino but a little less pop, probably about the same defensively.
@mikeghg

#50 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

More speed than Andino but a little less pop, probably about the same defensively.

If that's true, what's the point?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Depth...I really think they have identified the need to be faster and have the ability to create some runs. He can steal a base. Too lazy to look up but was something like 21 od 22 in steals
@mikeghg

#52 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

I like the fact that he brings speed and defense, but those liking him now will be non impressed when seein his bat in the lineup 400 times.

A good guy to have as a back up. Not someone I want starting.

I would bet a good amount he doesn't get 400 PAs next year.

#53 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I don't know, I've heard from people (haven't paid much attention to him myself) that he is a good bit better than Andino defensively, and that this was a move aimed primarily at changing the UTL INF role to a speed/defense role.
@JeremyMStrain

#54 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I really like this move - Casilla's biggest problem has been consistency and health, and the argument could be made that his lack of serious consistency outside of 2008 has been partly due to his health.

He has top tier speed (71 SB's in 80 attempts for his career) and saved 15 runs defensively at second base last year. He'll likely feel like he has something to prove with the O's, which makes me feel like he could finally play up to his talent level - which in my mind would be something close to this batting line: .270/.335/.370 with between 25 and 30 SB's if he's playing the full season at second base.

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

I really like this move - Casilla's biggest problem has been consistency and health, and the argument could be made that his lack of serious consistency outside of 2008 has been partly due to his health.

He has top tier speed (71 SB's in 80 attempts for his career) and saved 15 runs defensively at second base last year. He'll likely feel like he has something to prove with the O's, which makes me feel like he could finally play up to his talent level - which in my mind would be something close to this batting line: .270/.335/.370 with between 25 and 30 SB's if he's playing the full season at second base.

The real question is this..Is he better than Quintanilla? :D

#56 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

The real question is this..Is he better than Quintanilla? :D

Are you kidding me?

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is better than "The Q"!!

:lol: :lol:

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Are you kidding me?

No one, and I mean NO ONE, is better than "The Q"!!

:lol: :lol:

LOL! That's definitely correct! :)

#58 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

LOL! That's definitely correct! :)

I will say this - it's easy to look at all of the positives of players picked up/claimed/etc. during the offseason just as we typically do every season.

Examples from last season include, but are not limited to: Taylor Teagarden (although he had quite a few GW hits), Ryan Flaherty, "The Q", Jake Arrieta, Tommy Hunter and the list could go on and on if we go back previous years.

I remember most of us were very high on Arrieta and trumping his as the next "ACE" of the staff.

It's fun to make these statements based on peripherals, gut feelings, and whatnot but anything can happen in baseball. B-Rob could put up numbers similar to his 2006-2009 seasons, you just never know.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well, where BRob fits into things is a total mystery to me.

I have no idea what this move says about him.

#60 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Well, where BRob fits into things is a total mystery to me.

I have no idea what this move says about him.

We all know he'll be given every opportunity to win back the starting job if he's healthy and capable of playing regularly - but Duquette and Buck know it's not something they can, or should, count on happening.

The biggest concern for me, if he does come back healthy, is his defense. He hasn't been a very good 2B since 2006, started to decline in 2007 where he was just an average guy out there with the glove - but his offensive performance helped us overlook his decline in the field, and has been downright horrible in the field since 2009.

His walk rate has also declined in three straight seasons and his k rate has fluctuated from decent to career highs.

Even if he does come back I do not see him being valuable enough to be an everyday player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=