103 replies to this topic

#81 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:16 PM

Its lower body. Quad, Hammy, could be groin. All the same depending on the grade of the strain. McKenna will be the everyday CF for awhile. Cowser and Haskin both arent back or are just coming back from injury. Interesting to see who they call up. Itll prob be Daz Cameron who is also a very good defensive fielder.

#82 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:20 PM

I bet I could find stretch where the '27 Yankees scored 8 runs in 3 games. I know I could without looking it up. Its that fucking obvious that these things happen in baseball

6/1/27-6/3/27 they scored 5 total runs and actually went 2-1 in those games lol
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#83 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:21 PM

6/1/27-6/3/27 they scored 5 total runs and actually went 2-1 in those games lol

Ruth went on an epic bender memorial day '27.

#84 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,555 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:29 PM

Ruth went on an epic bender memorial day '27.

As was his right
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#85 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:59 PM

As was his right

Should be mandatory.

#86 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:09 PM

Logan Allen....the latest Cy Young. 

#87 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:23 PM

Logan Allen....the latest Cy Young.

Imagine having a young pitching prospect come up and not get torched. Must be nice.

#88 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:38 PM

Stroman - nice shutout. Go get that guy.

#89 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 05:40 PM

How about that play by McCann. Clearly Hyde isn’t teaching catchers how to catch.
@BSLMikeRandall

#90 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 May 2023 - 05:52 PM

How about that play by McCann. Clearly Hyde isn’t teaching catchers how to catch.

I seem to recall some posters were raving about him when he was acquired. Things like "best backup catcher available." 

#91 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:04 PM

If we're talking about the tag play at the plate, that's an error on Frazier.  A better throw and they get him.  I'd like to see McCann make that play, like I'd like to see the 1B make every play on a skipped to him....but that play isn't just the catch (different than 1B), it's the tag too....so it's a little more like the SS bailing out the C on a bad throw on a SB.

I seem to recall some posters were raving about him when he was acquired. Things like "best backup catcher available." 

Still feel that way.  He's been good behind the plate and seems to fit in well with this team.  I'd like to see more offense out of him, so we'll see.  Not sure what the bar is for backup Cs, but he was 1-3 today with a double.  Maybe if we had a better backup C, we'd have the best record in the League?

• makoman likes this

#92 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,273 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:13 PM

If we're talking about the tag play at the plate, that's an error on Frazier.  A better throw and they get him.  I'd like to see McCann make that play, like I'd like to see the 1B make every play on a skipped to him....but that play isn't just the catch (different than 1B), it's the tag too....so it's a little more like the SS bailing out the C on a bad throw on a SB.

Still feel that way.  He's been good behind the plate and seems to fit in well with this team.  I'd like to see more offense out of him, so we'll see.  Not sure what the bar is for backup Cs, but he was 1-3 today with a double.  Maybe if we had a better backup C, we'd have the best record in the League?

Dude, hes batting like .180. His defense is eh. He does seem like a good guy to have around but its absolutely dumb that we DHs with his horrific offense.

McCann is like 62nd in baseball among Catchers in OPS. Yes solid addition.

Oh and one last complaint...lol......McCann is 10th on the team in at bats. Now I know he's Adleys backup but good grief he should never be in the lineup except on days off for Ruts.

#93 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 May 2023 - 10:45 PM

I'm not going to defend a .517 OPS, but he'll get a hot week and it will look better....then what.

I'm also not going to defend the DH thing.  If he's in the game he should be catching because we need to limit the grind on Adley's legs for late in the season.  Getting a chance for him to DH 3 days in a row would be great.  Just catch against every LHed starter.  Easy.

Not sure what all the emotion is about every player.  Seems a little chaotic.

Trea Turner has the lowest OPS of the Phillies regulars.

Abreu hit his first HR with the Astros yesterday.  He's OPSing what McCann is.

Correa has an OPS under .700.

Rodon hasn't thrown a pitch for the Yankees.

What if we had actually signed someone, I feel like you guys would need a hug or a drink or be handcuffed to the furniture so you didn't jump or something.

The Mets are .500....the Padres and Cards and Guardians are under water.

I'm all for the passion but feels like some need to wear it inside a straight jacket.  If 90% of this board had their way 3 months ago, Hays wouldn't be an Oriole.  Now Mountcastle with his 11 HR and 38 RBI and Santander with his .800 OPS and Mateo with his glove and speed are all trash.

I'm doing this in this game thread, but I'll take it to the thread you started ...how are we this good if everyone we have is this terrible?

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan, CantonJester and 1 other like this

#94 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:36 AM

Dude finally makes a halfway decent point. Only took years. McCann is a fine backup C. He really is. Im not sure anyone is tracking who the "best" backup C is. Maybe someone. He was a solid acquisition. Btw talk about the shortstop he missed (were already down 2, or was it 3, runs at that point) or the poor OPS, he called one hell of a game for Wells. Thats what most backup Cs are gonna be graded heavily on anyway. Would be curious to know his CERA vs Adleys

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:46 AM

Would be curious to know his CERA vs Adleys

Please don't go down this path.  Their zodiac sign is more informative.

#96 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:49 AM

Please don't go down this path. Their zodiac sign is more informative.

Why would you put no weight into how a pitcher performs with certain catchers

#97 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:53 AM

Why would you put no weight into how a pitcher performs with certain catchers

Because there are too many variables to be able to find signal within the noise.  Especially for two months on one team that has their primary play as much as Adley does.

Catcher's defense, specifically pitch framing, is really difficult to assess because of these same factors.  Controlling the run game and preventing wild pitches is a bit more straight forward.

• makoman likes this

#98 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:00 AM

Im not advocating CERA as some end all be all. I think it could give you some indication that a C works better with a staff or calls a better game.

I have no idea what the number is for either guy btw. Adley might be better or the difference might be minimal. Just from watching I will say that I think McCann is a better game caller right now. Not all that surprising considering how early Adley is into his career.

#99 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:12 AM

McCann has a 4.53 CERA. Adley 4.00. Benboom 0.82. But this is meaningless, and I can't stress that enough. Maybe if you had the same pitchers and catchers for several years facing the same teams in the same parks it would start to be meaningful but we have 135 innings of McCann, there is not enough data, and there won't be.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#100 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:28 AM

Its not meaningless if a guy calls a better game than another. Not that CERA would always reflect that. Especially over SSS. So I dont mind being suspect of CERA but I dont like any implication that the men putting down the fingers and the difference between them could be meaningless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=