Jorge Mateo SS

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:32 AM

Hey Hyde sits Gunnar and plays Frazier vs a lefty. Prob the right decision Brandon. Glad you checked the splits this morning.

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

Rutsch gets a day off. May PH though.

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:56 AM

First game in several years, don't get to see Adley, boo.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:59 AM

Wells has been excellent this year besides offering up the HR. Ks are up, BB down, WHIP is down. He's given up 17 XBH in his 10 games, 13 have left the park.

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 May 2023 - 10:07 AM

Wells has been excellent this year besides offering up the HR. Ks are up, BB down, WHIP is down. He's given up 17 XBH in his 10 games, 13 have left the park.

Cleveland can hit but not for much power, could be a good matchup for him.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#8 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 11:49 AM

Looks like a winning lineup to me.

Have a nice Holiday everyone.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#9 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:10 PM

Wells quickly ahead 0-2 on Kwan to start the game then two waste pitches not even close. I'm all for a waste pitch but really inflates the pitch count and they are usually so far out of the zone that hitters rarely bite.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#10 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:10 PM

Poor play by Wells. I hyped him too early.
  • 85Knight likes this

#11 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:16 PM

Up 0-2 on Arias and 3 sliders outside not even close. I don't know what the advanced metrics have said on McCann behind the plate but not a huge fan. Seems like he sets up early and usually telegraphs where the pitch is going.

#12 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:17 PM

Wells quickly ahead 0-2 on Kwan to start the game then two waste pitches not even close. I'm all for a waste pitch but really inflates the pitch count and they are usually so far out of the zone that hitters rarely bite.

Did the same thing on the last better. My son and I talked about this during the game yesterday. Its so prevalent that it seems to be their approach. But like you said these 0-2 and 1-2 pitches seem to be so far from the plate as to only raise pitch counts. This needs to change.

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:21 PM

Did the same thing on the last better. My son and I talked about this during the game yesterday. Its so prevalent that it seems to be their approach. But like you said these 0-2 and 1-2 pitches seem to be so far from the plate as to only raise pitch counts. This needs to change.

Agreed.  A waste pitch is one thing but the objective is to get a hitter to swing and it has to be reasonably close to the strikezone. 

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:23 PM

It’s gonna happen when you’re intentionally trying to throw a ball out of the strike zone. Better than grooving them like Rodriguez was doing.
  • Mike B likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:26 PM

It’s gonna happen when you’re intentionally trying to throw a ball out of the strike zone. Better than grooving them like Rodriguez was doing.

If you have command of your pitches then you can throw a ball that is still close enough to entice a few swings. Our 0-2 pitches almost always are a foot or more outside the zone. I get your point but it seems like they are more intentional in what they are doing.

• BobPhelan likes this

#16 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:29 PM

0-2 to the #9 hitter and once again no hitter is swinging at that pitch. And just like that another full count.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:29 PM

If a player reads a pitch well out of the hand they can still spit on really good "waste" pitches

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:32 PM

I love working vertically as waste pitches personally. You see the last batter chased above the zone. Batter are really good knowing the zone east and west IMO. Not all hitters. Some you can get on a sweeper or slider that starts on the plate and breaks off but all hitters are vulnerable changing eye levels. Take Bautista and his insane K rate. Whats his out pitch when he is on. A dive bomning split. Up and down.

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:35 PM

Cleveland can hit but not for much power, could be a good matchup for him.

Not really this year.  They were 15th in runs last year and tried to add with Josh Bell and continued performance from SS/2B.

This year they are dead last in Runs.  Their lineup today only features one guy (Ramirez) with an OPS over .700.

--------------also (not related to above)

Their pitching was supposed to be a strength and it's been a mess.  Their rotation was supposed to be 

Bieber (pitching well, number down, but 3.04 ERA)

Quantrill (4.75 in 10 starts)

McKenzie (IL, 0 starts)

Pleasac (7.59 ERA in 5 starts, optioned)

Civale (IL, 2 starts)

Other guys have filled in pretty well (Bibee, Allen/today) but they are struggling everywhere.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 May 2023 - 12:47 PM

This is crazy, but OAK is clearly the worst team in MLB and just doesn't care about their 2023 roster, they only have 10 wins.  KC has 16 and every other team has 22+.

The 10-14 worst teams in the AL is the AL Central. The 5tyh team i the AL East (TOR) and the 4th team in the AL West (Angels) would both be in 1st place in the AL Central.

CLE is 23-29, but only 3.5 games out of 1st place.

Hard to tell at what point they think this season turns into a pumpkin because a hot 2 weeks puts them into the Playoffs, but this is a watch to see if they want to move Bieber and we should help sink them over the next couple days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=