102 replies to this topic

#81 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:25 PM

"show me one post where I said that" is getting defensive.  People aren't putting words in your mouth.  The things you are saying generally mean what everyone is interpreting them to be and responding to.

Its like you say something is more than 2 but less than 4, another poster replies and asks why do you think its 3, and you respond with "show me one post where I said it was 3".  Sure, you didn't explicitly say 3, but the words can only be interpreted to mean 3.

How is asking someone to back up a statement they claim I said defensive?

#82 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:27 PM

How is asking someone to back up a statement they claim I said defensive?

Its basically gaslighting, because while the exact quote isn't in there, its what any rational interpretation of the post would be.  

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#83 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,171 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:41 PM

If they play .500 baseball the rest of the year, they'll have won 89 games and be right in the wild card race.  

Certainly not expecting them to hold to a 107 win pace, but 90-95 wins is definitely in play. 

• Mackus likes this

#84 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:47 PM

Its basically gaslighting, because while the exact quote isn't in there, its what any rational interpretation of the post would be.  

In what world is being skeptical the equivalent to openly rooting for them to fail? That's the part of this whole sub-conversation that I can't make connect. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#85 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:51 PM

If they play .500 baseball the rest of the year, they'll have won 89 games and be right in the wild card race.  

Certainly not expecting them to hold to a 107 win pace, but 90-95 wins is definitely in play. 

I like those odds. NY is heating up, so this will be another good series to point to. If it's not already clear, I have confidence that they can take the series. 

#86 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 12:55 PM

In what world is being skeptical the equivalent to openly rooting for them to fail? That's the part of this whole sub-conversation that I can't make connect. 

I got on this tangent after makoman said that Ken was using their historical record as part of his evaluation that they aren't a contender, to which Ken asked for receipts.  That struck a chord with me as being something Ken's done before on other topics, as I've tried to expand upon.

Not talking about comments regarding anyone rooting for the team to lose.

#87 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:35 PM

I got on this tangent after makoman said that Ken was using their historical record as part of his evaluation that they aren't a contender, to which Ken asked for receipts.  That struck a chord with me as being something Ken's done before on other topics, as I've tried to expand upon.

Not talking about comments regarding anyone rooting for the team to lose.

It strikes me as piling on. Phelan posted that Ken and I are O's fans who openly root against the team, so that we can maintain our preferred state of misery. Then 2035 backed him up. Now, as you pointed out, Phalen didn't actually type out all of that. But it's a rational interpretation that those 2 were referring to Ken and me. When asked to show any comment that could support that notion...crickets. 

If you're asserting that someone holds an opinion, you should be able to point to a post. If the assertion isn't spelled out exactly, there should at least be enough commentary in that post, for you to show why you interpreted it to mean X

• bmore_ken likes this

#88 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:36 PM

Any Gen Xer O's fan likely suffers from a degree of generational trauma with this franchise. We were in our late teens/early 20s when things peaked during the early Camden Yards era. Then, we went through 14 consecutive losing seasons, filled false hope, broken promises, various philosophies and a quasi rebuild. The Buck-DD era was a brief respite for my generation and, in spite of a good deal of winning baseball, that era will be remembered for the heartbreak of 2014 and the disappointment of 2016. Then, the franchise sunk to the lowest depths of its storied history. Even deeper than that of the 1988 Orioles, which I didn't think was possible. We've endured the full fledged rebuild and over the last calendar year, that rebuild is bearing fruit.

With all that said, even for as orange colored glasses and die hard as I always have been, there's a small part of me that can't help but think the other shoe is going to drop at some point. I'm not rooting for that in any shape, form or fashion but I think I've been burned by this organization so many times that I'm simply having a difficult time wrapping my head around how far this franchise has come in such a brief amount of time.  

• weird-O likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#89 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:58 PM

I don't understand the fascination with combining some of last season with the start of this season. If it's to assert the idea that the O's turned a corner in the middle of '22, that's cool. I mean, Elias disagrees with them. Hence his punting on that season. So yes, it's a fun factoid. But I see that stat posted several times a week, as if it's really a big deal. It's like pointing out that for a random stretch of 3 seasons, the O's had more wins than any other team. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those folks actually had a pennant made to celebrate that marvelous accomplishment. It hangs on their wall along with their 1983 WS champs and their 2013 Ravens SB pennants.  

Nor do I understand the skepticism of simply pointing out that this team is for real. 

#90 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:09 PM

Any Gen Xer O's fan likely suffers from a degree of generational trauma with this franchise. We were in our late teens/early 20s when things peaked during the early Camden Yards era. Then, we went through 14 consecutive losing seasons, filled false hope, broken promises, various philosophies and a quasi rebuild. The Buck-DD era was a brief respite for my generation and, in spite of a good deal of winning baseball, that era will be remembered for the heartbreak of 2014 and the disappointment of 2016. Then, the franchise sunk to the lowest depths of its storied history. Even deeper than that of the 1988 Orioles, which I didn't think was possible. We've endured the full fledged rebuild and over the last calendar year, that rebuild is bearing fruit.

With all that said, even for as orange colored glasses and die hard as I always have been, there's a small part of me that can help but think the other shoe is going to drop at some point. I'm not rooting for that in any shape, form or fashion but I think I've been burned by this organization so many times that I'm simply having a difficult time wrapping my head around how far this franchise has come in such a brief amount of time.

I get the cautious optimism or even the slight pessimism but the sample size is getting pretty large now and you have to go back to last season. Even if you take 2022 away having the 2nd best record in the league almost a third of the way in has to get fans excited. The other shoe can always drop but right now I'm more skeptical that Elias/ownership will do something to augment what they've already built.

#91 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:09 PM

Nor do I understand the skepticism of simply pointing out that this team is for real. 

Is there a reason you're posting this directly to me?

#92 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:14 PM

I get the cautious optimism or even the slight pessimism but the sample size is getting pretty large now and you have to go back to last season. Even if you take 2022 away having the 2nd best record in the league almost a third of the way in has to get fans excited. The other shoe can always drop but right now I'm more skeptical that Elias/ownership will do something to augment what they've already built.

That's how I feel too

#93 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:27 PM

It strikes me as piling on. Phelan posted that Ken and I are O's fans who openly root against the team, so that we can maintain our preferred state of misery. Then 2035 backed him up. Now, as you pointed out, Phalen didn't actually type out all of that. But it's a rational interpretation that those 2 were referring to Ken and me. When asked to show any comment that could support that notion...crickets.

If you're asserting that someone holds an opinion, you should be able to point to a post. If the assertion isn't spelled out exactly, there should at least be enough commentary in that post, for you to show why you interpreted it to mean X

I feel no need to respond because I don’t care enough to. The negativity in here is obnoxious. You would think our record was reversed.

#94 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:35 PM

I feel no need to respond because I don’t care enough to. The negativity in here is obnoxious. You would think our record was reversed.

Funny how you "cared enough" to post your accusation. 

#95 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:36 PM

Is there a reason you're posting this directly to me?

You replied directly to Ken with your dismissal of my (and others) having pointed out recently the O's record over the past calendar year.

It's not some arbitrary point on a timeline. It's roughly one year since Adley's arrival.

But if you want to have your own brand of misery, have at it. 

#96 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 03:42 PM

You replied directly to Ken with your dismissal of my (and others) having pointed out recently the O's record over the past calendar year.

It's not some arbitrary point on a timeline. It's roughly one year since Adley's arrival.

But if you want to have your own brand of misery, have at it. 

Did you not read the multiple comments I made after that post, or do you just want to spar? Because I have addressed that. Since you mentioned misery, I assume you're going with spar.  

I'd have to go back and look, but for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I shared my opinion about how good I thought this team is, before you did. So, welcome to the party. Better late than never Jester.

#97 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 04:13 PM

Did you not read the multiple comments I made after that post, or do you just want to spar? Because I have addressed that. Since you mentioned misery, I assume you're going with spar.  

I'd have to go back and look, but for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I shared my opinion about how good I thought this team is, before you did. So, welcome to the party. Better late than never Jester.

You assumed wrong. 

#98 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 04:19 PM

You assumed wrong. 

Seems like I didn't

#99 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 04:44 PM

That's because it makes no sense

#100 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 04:49 PM

Exactly. They can't because it doesn't exist. But I guess that makes me defensive. Not my understanding of what the word means, but whatever. I'm pretty much done with the discussion. There really isn't much left for me to say. If they want to keep it up, they can feel free.

• weird-O likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=