#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:17 PM

31-16 overall. 

2.5 GB of Tampa Bay for the East lead.

3.5 games ahead of NY for the 1st Wild Card. 

15-8 at home.

16-8 on the road.

+41 Run Differential. 

On pace for 107 wins. 

• russsnyder likes this

#2 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:26 PM

It's time to start considering this team a serious contender. They've proven that they can play with any team.

Act accordingly Elias.
  • weird-O likes this

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:35 PM

Improbability and arcs need to be banished from the vocabulary. They need a shutdown bullpen arm and a bat at the deadline. Make it so.

• Hooded Viper and PrimeTime like this

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:39 PM

If Elias doesn't make major moves at the deadline I will be bitterly disappointed. They have tons of talent in the minors that can't all play with the big club. Move some of them to get at a stopper in the rotation, another bullpen arm, and/or a middle of the order bat.

#5 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:51 PM

If Elias doesn't make major moves at the deadline I will be bitterly disappointed. They have tons of talent in the minors that can't all play with the big club. Move some of them to get at a stopper in the rotation, another bullpen arm, and/or a middle of the order bat.

Or maybe some combination package of experienced player(s) and prospect(s) to fill at least one of the holes you mentioned.

#6 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 May 2023 - 04:53 PM

If Elias doesn't make major moves at the deadline Move some of them to get at a stopper in the rotation, another bullpen arm, and/or a middle of the order bat.

Another thought. If you obtain a stopper for the rotation, you probably just added another BP arm via one of the current starters.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:46 PM

Another thought. If you obtain a stopper for the rotation, you probably just added another BP arm via one of the current starters.

Assuming they feel comfortable making the transition, you could very well be right.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:51 PM

You've also got Means as part of the equation. No guarantees coming off TJ, but when he returns that removes someone from the rotation.

#9 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 21 May 2023 - 07:33 PM

You've also got Means as part of the equation. No guarantees coming off TJ, but when he returns that removes someone from the rotation.

Damn, that's right. Kind of forgot about him because the current rotation is decent. Some time ago I wondered if a six man rotation - to preserve both his and GRod's arms - might be an option when he returns. Your reminder brings that idea back into my mind.

#10 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 May 2023 - 08:34 PM

It's time to start considering this team a serious contender. They've proven that they can play with any team.

Act accordingly Elias.

Start? I'm like 3/4 thru the Kool aid already.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 10:06 PM

There has to be a commitment to this group from the FO and ownership. Period. Ive been criticized for being ok with how Elias and to an extent ownership has approached things in years past and heading into this year. Its beyond clear at this point we have arrived. Not only a playoff contender but a WS contender. Elias has to commit to moves that can make this team even better. Ive always said the time is coming where you have to flip the switch and be all in. Not halfway in. All in. We are here.
  • CantonJester likes this

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

1-2 vs ATL

2-1 vs TB

2-1 vs PIT

2-2 vs LAA

3-0 vs TOR

10-6 vs teams over .500 in this stretch.

That's pretty damn impressive.

• Mike B likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:45 AM

Both the Braves losses were close and non-Grayson Angels loss was close too, 10-6 while only being legit outplayed in 3 of the losses

she/her

#14 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:02 AM

Remember when we were all expecting noteworthy FA additions last winter? The Angelos family still owns this team.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#15 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:51 PM

Orioles are playing really good baseball and converting Wins.  That is excellent.  That's HOW you make seasons relevant.  Any season.

There are teams that are considered to have better Talent that aren't getting it done.

We won 52 games in 2021 then 83 wins in 2022 and on pace for "107 Wins" in 2023.  Nobody can explain how we've apparently added 54 WAR in 2 offseasons.  Zero 'rebuilding' players.  Minor FA signings and basically the players that were already here (the Talent that "wasn't good enough") and waiver claims.

It's still May.  Nobody has arrived.  While the Orioles have been in every game more or less and converted the last 16 games....they've also been a pitch or 2 from being 6-10 versus 10-6.  That wouldn't feel as good and the ghames are just as competitive.  The margins between winning and losing are pretty thin.

We could end June wondering "what happened??" we had the second best record on 5/22.....it's neither end. 

Orioles are in a great position.  You just have to keep showing up and find a way to win.  Every. Game.

#16 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 05:59 PM

On the trade front, I'm not sure what people want.  The stuff that is available is the stuff that is available.  Labels aren't available unless you can share the name/situation where that player is available.

Started the other thread.  I'm not sure who the TOR type anyone is looking for.

If the Padres continue their free-fall....could they make Soto available?  Stay engaged there. 

Just because you have depth to trade doesn't mean you can acquire the Players you want (or even types of players you want).

I'll continue to point out, it's not about Buying instead of Selling.  You can do both.  Manage the roster.  That's the job.

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 06:22 PM

The Padres are a classic example of assembling an All-Star team and faltering. Not saying you can't build a super team and have it be competitive, but it seems those teams end up generally mediocre more often than not.

#18 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:03 PM

The Padres are a classic example of assembling an All-Star team and faltering. Not saying you can't build a super team and have it be competitive, but it seems those teams end up generally mediocre more often than not.

I mean they made the NLCS last year 

she/her

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 07:19 PM

I mean they made the NLCS last year

True. They were also a disappointment in 21 and look to be a major disappointment this year (after adding Bogaerts, Carpenter, Wacha, and Nelson Cruz) plus full years from Soto and Hader. Good example that just throwing a ton of money out there and hoping it works isn't a guarantee.

#20 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:46 PM

There’s also, like, a lot of games left. Calling San Diego a disappointment is very premature

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=