440 replies to this topic

#241 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:57 PM

How would you rank SP, RP, and bat right now as far as need?

Now, the caveat here is indeed we dont know the caliber of player at each position that will be available. Certainly bats that can help us will be available. Lets assume for now a Burnes, Bieber, Alcantara caliber SP isnt available. Lets also assume those guys are at or near their best. None of those 3 are having the best of seasons. Lets assume its a Giolito type SP. The next tier down.

So rank SP, RP, bat. I think for me RP might be #1, bat #2, and then SP.

#242 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,656 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:11 PM

How would you rank SP, RP, and bat right now as far as need?

Now, the caveat here is indeed we dont know the caliber of player at each position that will be available. Certainly bats that can help us will be available. Lets assume for now a Burnes, Bieber, Alcantara caliber SP isnt available. Lets also assume those guys are at or near their best. None of those 3 are having the best of seasons. Lets assume its a Giolito type SP. The next tier down.

SP is by far the most important need. Bump a capable arm out of the rotation and he becomes a long man in the pen. That said, I’m rating SP above a middle of the order bat because I believe Cowser will make a significant contribution in the second half of this season. 

#243 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:18 PM

SP goes up for me if Kremer proves to be the pumpkin I think he is but for the moment Gibson, Bradish, Kremer, and Wells are all doing what youd want most nights. I think regression is coming for Cano a bit and I trust no one else at all to get to Felix besides Coulombe to an extent. Ill downgrade bat to 3rd because it should be the easiest to find. Even if it is say a Charlie Blackmon.

#244 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:41 PM

Opposite order for me.  I don't trust the BP much, but add another SP that pushes someone to the pen (maybe eventually 2 or 3 guys if Rodriguez or Means can contribute late in the summer) and I think it gets stronger.  I'd definitely be in the market for a top RP if available, or a mid-tier guy as well which definitely will be available, but wouldn't go so far as to prioritize that over an ace and a thumper.

#245 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:46 PM

Laim Hendriks just returned.  I'd be all over him whenever CWS decide to sell.

Frankly they may be the one-stop shop that we need.  Put together a package for Anderson, Hendriks, and one of their many SP.  I prefer Cease, but would be interested in Giolito and Kopech as well to varying degrees.

• bmore_ken and mdrunning like this

#246 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 03:46 PM

I need a proven BP arm if not two. Id be calling KC about both Chapman and Barlow for sure. Garritt and Stoumont also there

#247 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 June 2023 - 05:14 PM

Lange for Detroit if he’s available to go with ERod.

I want the best SP available not named Ohtani, a reliever, and a veteran bat with power.

#248 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:27 PM

Lange for Detroit if he’s available to go with ERod.

I don't think those guys are available, but I'm the Tigers GM, talk me out of them.

I want the best SP available not named Ohtani, a reliever, and a veteran bat with power.

I'm just pointing this out with your post, but we could use any number of posts over the last 2-3 pages.

Who are these guys.  People want a bat.  I don't see a significant bat available.  Wanting it doesn't mean you can get it.  (that's not meant as snarky towards you, that a general comment).  We know close to 100% of reasonable availability.  We know most of what we'd need to know about all 30 teams.  That doesn't mean there can't be a surprise, but I don't see it.  Factor in the Orioles unwillingness to commit resources (prospects or $$) and whatever we think the pool is, just got smaller/harder. Orioles aren't the only team looking to upgrade.

You know who WAS available?  Olson and Chapman. 

You know who else WAS available? Castillo and Soto. 

Orioles sat on the sidelines and NOW we're left with some pretty bare shelves.

My point about Blackmon, if he was interested in being traded, is that he might be the best bat available.  That might not even be true outside of Coors (he has less favorable home/road splits) and you have career guy in one place and there's more to discuss, but he's a guy to work, if we wanted to do something (which was the point of the initial post).

#249 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:31 PM

Lol at thinking in any universe Blackmon may even be the best available bat. Its 100% has no chance of being true

#250 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:36 PM

There are two months until the trade deadline, lets see who is available then. Thats why I can't give any specific players right now.

• Mackus likes this

#251 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 06:38 PM

I don't think Blackmon has much shot of being better than Santander, Hays or even Mountcastle. Pass. Guess if he's nearly free I'd take hm and hope he's not the Coors mirage (200 points worse for his career on the road) that he appears to be. But he's way down the list of options we should pursue (though I don't know exactly who else is above him on the list just yet).

#252 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:06 PM

A high level reliever (or two) is the biggest need on the club imo other than a top of the rotation starter or close to it, which I guess isn't an option in 2035's question.

Means will helpfully help the rotation later on and there's some bats that could help sooner or later, with Cowser and Westburg leading the way.

I will say if a good left handed hitting 1B becomes available, I'd be very interested. I don't think other positions make a lot of sense though, at least not to spend trade capital on.

#253 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 08:32 PM

Regarding 1B, they could instead get an outfielder if they intend to play Santander more at 1B.

#254 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:00 PM

Now what would be the ranking of O's from the last 30 years to add to this team?

Probably Mussina or 07' Bedard at the top.

Raffy would be fantastic.

I'd love to have Miggy too.

Britton and/or Miller for the pen.

Sorry for the derailment lol.

#255 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:01 PM

Yeah the really could use any of a 1b/OF/DH bat. Also preferably LH. Would think that will be the easiest thing to find as far as a bat. Vs an up the middle position bat.

#256 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:14 PM

And yes, if a true #1 or #2 SP is available thats my priority. Again, agree with mweb that if its a #3 then a high lev RP is ahead of that for me.

#257 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 June 2023 - 09:59 PM

There are two months until the trade deadline, lets see who is available then. Thats why I can't give any specific players right now.

I don't think the field of available players is nearly as wide open as you seem to be suggesting.  We know every name in MLB.  We know every service and contract status.  We know current record and approach of FO.  We know salary conditions for every team. 

I'm not saying there can't be surprises, but I do this for all 30 teams all the time.  These aren't great mysteries.

#258 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:07 PM

Now what would be the ranking of O's from the last 30 years to add to this team?

Probably Mussina or 07' Bedard at the top.

Raffy would be fantastic.

I'd love to have Miggy too.

Britton and/or Miller for the pen.

Sorry for the derailment lol.

How could I forget peak Chris Davis?!?

#259 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:11 PM

I mean right now Id consider taking '96 Brady or really prime Brady for CF as maybe my top choice.

Peak BRob for 2b.

BJ Ryan in the pen

#260 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,379 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:17 PM

I mean right now Id consider taking '96 Brady or really prime Brady for CF as maybe my top choice.

Peak BRob for 2b.

BJ Ryan in the pen

Brady and Roberts certainly each have one individual season that's worth strong consideration. I would happily take BJ, but not above the guys I mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=