• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#221 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:18 PM

Three targets I mentioned in the last article. 

Oakland's Brent Rooker. 
KC's 
Carlos Hernandez and Aroldis Chapman. 

Cost to obtain shouldn't be much.

#222 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:31 PM

The entire National League is within 5 games of a Wild Card.

Really only KC and Oakland are eliminated in the AL.

Let's see what this looks like in a month; as we should have a better sense of what's available.

There's always the trade between 2 competitive teams, where each has a surplus the other team needs. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#223 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:48 PM

First off a BP arm isnt a complimentary piece. Its a huge need. Now the actual arm may only be a meh guy but we got enough meh guys in the pen. If they acquire an arm for out there it will be someone expected to be an A team guy

If it's an elite or very good arm, then I agree. However, if it's another guy to soak up innings, and it's the only move they make, I'm not going to call that an impactful or adequate trade deadline.

#224 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:52 PM

They arent trading for another 6th guy in the pen like Givens. It makes no sense. You can call up armd from AAA to do that. As a contending team and being a buyer they will go after good arms

#225 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:12 PM

Much like this past offseason, I don't think we'll need to squabble over whether the moves they make count as being significant or not.  I think its pretty likely that they either clearly do something meaningful or clearly do not, rather than straddling a gray area.

• BSLSteveBirrer and bmore_ken like this

#226 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 31 May 2023 - 02:20 PM

Do the O's have enough pieces to trade for Ohtani? And the will to sign him long term?

Costly? Sure its going to be the biggest cost in baseball history.

But he would solve the need for a TOR starter and a middle of the order bat in one player.

I strongly voiced a desire for an Ohtani trade late last season and early this offseason before it was clear that the Angels were keeping him. I felt like with the Angels ownership possibly in flux they might be convinced to move him, and I felt that he could be had for 3 or 4 of our prospects not named Gunnar or Grayson.

However, since then Moreno rescinded his sale attempt and the Angels have played better than expected. I'm not sure he will be available with the Angels on the edge of wild card contention.

#227 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:32 PM

I hope the FO is doing some serious due diligence and quickly. The holes on this team are getting exposed more and more.

#228 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:59 PM

I hope the FO is doing some serious due diligence and quickly. The holes on this team are getting exposed more and more.

The holes were evident in the offseason and they did nothing but bring in Gibson and Frazier. Shout out to Gibson for what he's done, but he was a bargain basement pick up. Which shows the problem. Not even going back to last year when a solid pick up at the deadline might have meant the playoffs. Who besides 2035  thinks they'll do what they have to do? I don't. do you? Anybody?

#229 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:11 PM

I do.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#230 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:15 PM

I'd be encouraged if they dropped Perez and Givens and replaced them with any arm that has a pulse from AAA.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#231 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 04:34 PM

I do.

The Candy Ass Crew couldnt wait to get started up again. Funny how it took a 2-4 stretch(thats assuming they lose today) after winning 5 of 6 between Tor and NY. Its as if theyve been wanting to jump at any chance.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#232 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:04 PM

Does Bieber's performance today change anyone's opinion about considering him as a big target for trade?

#233 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:27 PM

Does Bieber's performance today change anyone's opinion about considering him as a big target for trade?

He’s getting cheaper, all part of the plan…

#234 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:44 PM

A huge drop in k/9 is always a red flag for me. I suppose even Verlander suffered a bit in his down years, but he rebounded quite nicely.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and bmore_ken like this

#235 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 10:28 AM

The holes were evident in the offseason and they did nothing but bring in Gibson and Frazier. Shout out to Gibson for what he's done, but he was a bargain basement pick up. Which shows the problem. Not even going back to last year when a solid pick up at the deadline might have meant the playoffs. Who besides 2035  thinks they'll do what they have to do? I don't. do you? Anybody?

I'd be surprised if there's any major move.  Especially if the current roster continues to play well long term.  Are they going to the World Series?  Highly unlikely and I doubt Elias envisions that happening either so it's up to him to finally try to improve this roster in the off season via trades or free agency.  If that doesn't happen, then I guess everyone has their answer- the Angelos infection hasn't been cured. 

#236 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:24 PM

How much can they reasonably expect to bring in from the outside? Also, what will be available to make a move for in July? As Chris pointed out, the entire NL is still realistically in contention and only KC, Oakland and maybe the White Sox are out of it in the AL. I would imagine that a few other teams will fall back between now and the ASB but with the additional wild card spots, it's more likely that more teams stand pat. That means less inventory on the trade market, which means a higher cost for trade acquisitions. 

I think it's worthwhile to look at how the club can potentially improve internally, as well. I know the club is "de-loading" DL Hall but he could be a huge asset out of the bullpen in the 2nd half. We know John Means' return will be delayed but he should be able to provide a lift down the stretch. There are some bullpen pieces that can be shifted around and perhaps cutting bait with Cionel Perez could be addition by substraction.

Offensively, it's past time to promote Westburg. God bless Adam Frazier and I'm glad he's having a bounce back season but he's at his absolute ceiling right now. Frazier should be moved into a utility role and Westburg should play every day at 2nd base. O'Hearn could be optioned and we can use Santander at 1st when Mountcastle needs a day off. 

If the club wants to add a bat that could be a DH type, I would be ok with that, as lengthening the lineup certainly wouldn't hurt.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#237 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:33 PM

the Angelos infection hasn't been cured. 

There in lies my doubt. I think Elias knows what he's doing, and what he should do. I also think he is far too calculating with with what he says, to mistakenly use a term like "liftoff". I think he meant liftoff, I think he intended to bolster the team in the upcoming off season. Then he got the phone call, and John told him he shouldn't have said that. A couple of days later, we got a cool new term that set the tone for how the winter would unfold. 

God bless the eternally optimistic fans on this board. But I dwell in a world of facts and figures. And all the information I have, says the Angelos family has no intention of spending like they can and should. 

• jamesdean and bmore_ken like this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#238 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:37 PM

There in lies my doubt. I think Elias knows what he's doing, and what he should do. I also think he is far too calculating with with what he says, to mistakenly use a term like "liftoff". I think he meant liftoff, I think he intended to bolster the team in the upcoming off season. Then he got the phone call, and John told him he shouldn't have said that. A couple of days later, we got a cool new term that set the tone for how the winter would unfold. 

God bless the eternally optimistic fans on this board. But I dwell in a world of facts and figures. And all the information I have, says the Angelos family has no intention of spending like they can and should. 

Welcome to my world  <_<

#239 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:47 PM

Welcome to my world  <_<

You and I will always be the Sun Forum outcasts!  The ones who had the audacity to infiltrate such sacred grounds. (LOL)  Oh, and don't forget- we're old men living in the past.  :mrgreen:  Seriously though, most the guys on here are cool.  "Most" being the operative word. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#240 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 01 June 2023 - 02:51 PM

How much can they reasonably expect to bring in from the outside? Also, what will be available to make a move for in July? 

I don't think we know exactly who will be available, but its hard to envision a scenario where there aren't multiple pieces who could really help us out there.

I doubt any of them actually move but just to throw some names that'd be fun to talk about...

Tim Anderson is a guy I'd kick the tires on if the White Sox decide to sell.  If Mateo turns things around or if Ortiz emerges in the next month plus, then he's not a need, but elsewise SS could be a big area to target.  Anderson has been pretty bad this year, after a just ok year in 2022.  So price could be getting cheaper.  He's got a cheap option for 2024, so he could be a good bridge to Holliday for a couple years.  

Kris Bryant another guy having a bad season.  He's been hurt pretty often recently and he's owed a ton of money.  Rockies are bad but not sure they're ready to cash out after only signing him prior to last season.  But if they are, and willing to eat a big portion of his remaining deal, he could be a huge stick at either RF or 1B if his struggles are just part of a bad start.  Big risk, but potential big reward at a presumably low cost.

And the biggest target...Sandy Alcantara.  Marlins haven't shown any interest in dealing him in the past, but he's having a bad season as well.  I'd be very willing to pay up for him big time in prospects and hope that its a flukey couple months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=