#281 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:05 PM

He’s hurt, out for at least 5-6 weeks.

Pass. I dont trust the guy. May not be healthy enough to be moved by the deadline anyway but for future refrence pass. Whether he opts out and hits FA again or if the Tigers make him available in the offseason
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#282 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:27 PM

He’s hurt, out for at least 5-6 weeks.

WTF I didn’t read that. Well there goes that hope. Damn it.

#283 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 10:22 PM

Too early. Things will have much more potential come July. Besides its really an academic exercise. Pick any player. And there are smart enough guys on here to say why it could happen. And equally smart guys to say why its not possible.

Because none of us have the information that the front offices do. But it is entertaining and can provide some reasonable things that the FO could do. So when they don't its another data point on how the ship is being run OR if they pull a rabbit out of the hat then that's a data point too but with a way different message!

I'm gonna beat a dead horse. Then why in the hell did we trade our All Star closer and middle of the order hitter when we were only 2 games out of a playoff spot last year. Ok I'm done but I'll never understand that mode of thinking regardless of how much we get back. I believe in striking while the coals are hot and making adjustments later.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#284 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:09 AM

I'm gonna beat a dead horse. Then why in the hell did we trade our All Star closer and middle of the order hitter when we were only 2 games out of a playoff spot last year. Ok I'm done but I'll never understand that mode of thinking regardless of how much we get back. I believe in striking while the coals are hot and making adjustments later.

I understand the Lopez angst.  I don't agree with it but I at least understand the argument.

Mancini, much as a I love the guy, was not a middle of the order bat.  Maybe he was hitting there for us, but he put up a 75 OPS+ for HOU after leaving and a 85 OPS+ so far for CHC this year.  And clearly seemed to be on the downswing for us when we traded him.  And we got 2 interesting arms for him. I make that trade any day of the week and twice on Sunday as my old man would say.

• BobPhelan likes this

#285 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:15 AM

I don't know those two being traded was the difference between making the playoffs and not. So in that regard, I don't have a problem with the moves. My dissatisfaction comes with not adding someone that could have been the difference.

#286 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 June 2023 - 08:54 AM

I don't know those two being traded was the difference between making the playoffs and not. So in that regard, I don't have a problem with the moves. My dissatisfaction comes with not adding someone that could have been the difference.

This.  Again and again.

It does relate to this thread.  Are we really stuck with 'internal only'?  We'll see.

Beyond that, does 'internal only' apply to the next wave?  Maybe it's own thread, the the Orioles have 15 arbitration cases (that can change with moves), but you have a group at AAA (now or soon) that are interesting.

15 months from now....

LF Cowser

C Rutschman

3B Henderson

1B Mayo

RF Kjerstad

CF Haskin

SS Holliday

2B Norby

DH Lester/whoever

#287 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:26 AM

We'll never know if they would have made a difference or not but my problem is with the slow motion mindset of the front office. I get that they have their spreadsheets and their timetables but they doubled down with this approach by not going for it in the off season. We'll never know either where we'd be right now if we had added more signicantly then but I would just prefer more aggressiveness when it comes to building the big league club even though they've done a great job with our minor league system.

#288 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 June 2023 - 05:47 PM

It does relate to this thread.  Are we really stuck with 'internal only'?  We'll see.

Did this get moved out of the other thread with several other comments?

#289 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 07:28 PM

Did this get moved out of the other thread with several other comments?

You just forgot where you made your posts.

#290 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:00 PM

We'll never know if they would have made a difference or not but my problem is with the slow motion mindset of the front office. I get that they have their spreadsheets and their timetables but they doubled down with this approach by not going for it in the off season. We'll never know either where we'd be right now if we had added more signicantly then but I would just prefer more aggressiveness when it comes to building the big league club even though they've done a great job with our minor league system.

I'm totally with you on this past offseason. But even that doesn't bother me as much it does some of you because they did what I expected. Which was close to nothing. 

#291 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:00 PM

I'm totally with you on this past offseason. But even that doesn't bother me as much it does some of you because they did what I expected. Which was close to nothing. 

You're conflating the team's goals with your pessimism. I mean, apparently that's your wont, but it makes it tough to read your words without a grain of (oh crap the cap came loose) salt. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#292 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:53 PM

No, Trey Mancini finishing the season in Baltimore last year wouldn't have made us a playoff team.

#293 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:33 PM

You're conflating the team's goals with your pessimism. I mean, apparently that's your wont, but it makes it tough to read your words without a grain of (oh crap the cap came loose) salt.

I guess I'm the only person on the board who predicted the team would do next to nothing last offseason? Might want to go back and read some old posts.

#294 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 05:51 AM

No, Trey Mancini finishing the season in Baltimore last year wouldn't have made us a playoff team.

That's not really the question. The real question is why are we subtracting and not adding to the team? We clearly threw in the towel last year and haven't done much since. We're still waiting for this liftoff thing.
  • Mike in STL and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#295 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 06:51 AM

How in the f can someone say we ae still waiting for liftoff. Thats insane

#296 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:16 AM

How in the f can someone say we ae still waiting for liftoff. Thats insane

You know they haven't delivered on any sort of promise that would be inferred by the phrasing.  The front office still hasn't done a single damn thing to try and actually improve the team.  Plugging holes with 1-year FAs doesn't count as substantial. 

The team is winning in spite of a lack of commitment from above the field.  How much is Elias and how much is Angelos is very much up for debate.  If you wanna say Elias is doing the absolute best he can under Angelos restrictions, ok, I doubt I'll agree but its a point with merit.  But the combined efforts of everyone who doesn't play is not debatable.  On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is 2018 and 10 is liftoff, the front office is at about a 4.

• Mike in STL likes this

#297 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:25 AM

The comment had nothing to do with FA spending. It was about the roster being in a place to start competing in the division. Maybe that wasnt the same interview he did at that time where he talked about competeting in the division but it also may have been the same interview. The roster has proven to be able to compete with anyone. Like any other team you always would like to improve the roster. Im not here to sell that they couldnt and shouldnt have done more in FA but he was right that the roster was ready to compete in the division and around the league.

Now, talking about the comments he made at a later time closer to FA about "taking on subtantially more payroll" or something to that effect if you want to attack that comment then have the F at it. Attacking the liftoff comment is the one that makes no sense.

#298 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:31 AM

At this point Id love to see the direct interview and context in which he used the liftoff comment. Maybe he specifically mentioned FA or payroll. If he did I wont defend that comment as strongly as I do. I remember, and it also makes sense to me, that he meant they were ready to compete and contend. Sure, one aspect of that is FA spending but its unfair to make that soundbite all about payroll

#299 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 07:40 AM

https://www.masnspor...-chase-and-more

Read the article with the direct quote and take the comment how will. You all can have the last word. In the exact paragraph where he talks about liftoff he talks about the positive internal things like coaching and info and thats how teams do it. "especially with our market size. "Its going to be the way we have to do it, but I see a homegrown team that we want to build around and supplememt".

He then goes on to talk about what he sees as a ten year window opening up. So read what you want. He says they plan on signing players during the season and supplementing. Which technically they did just not to your liking. But that cant be the bigger picture you took away from this "liftoff" comment. Just read all the quotes and the overall point he is making here. Or you know spin spin spin

#300 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 06 June 2023 - 08:12 AM

The team is winning and fighting for the divisional lead. You can define "liftoff" any way you want but relative to two years ago, I don't know how you can say they aren't already in that mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=