I'm about 97% sold.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:27 PM

Povich can be a bit of a roller coaster. 4.15 ERA in AA. 2 good outings, 1 bad, 2 suspect. Piling up strikouts though,

Lopez has a great ERA in Min but the hard hit % and strikeout rate just arent anywhere close to where they were for the brief tome with the Os.  The regression is surely coming though he could still be solid. 

Not sure about the 3rd guy in the trade. A better question for Phelan. 

Brings us to Cano in all of this. Seems like he can match Lopez's production in the short term and if he can be a back end guy for 3,4,5 years its an easy slam dunk steal just on him alone.

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:33 PM

Yeah but they could’ve traded me for Cano and kept Jorge Lopez.
  • mweb08 and Mashed Potatoes like this

#45 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:33 PM

Juan Nunez is a 22 year old RHP, converted catcher with a really live arm. 2.92 ERA for Delmarva over 24 innings.

Juan Rojas is a 19 year old LHP who struck out 50 and walked 9 over 38.2 innings in the FCL last year (2.79 ERA). Has been on the IL all season so far.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:41 PM

You're too much a price to pay bro!

So either Elias really thought highly of Cano and could have acquired him at a much cheaper cost or he just got lucky. Of course there's room between those two options as well.

Either way, in terms of process, I can't get behind the trade. In terms of results, it's looking really good. I'm more of a process guy myself.
  • Mackus likes this

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 10:01 PM

Ugh. Was discussed in another thread. I hate making this assumption

#48 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 08:19 AM

Why didn't Cano make the team out of ST?  I don't recall any buzz about him looking this way, and with the injuries to Tate and Givens there were openings.  Bautista and Perez both made the team out of ST last year after they popped.

#49 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:52 AM

Why didn't Cano make the team out of ST? I don't recall any buzz about him looking this way, and with the injuries to Tate and Givens there were openings. Bautista and Perez both made the team out of ST last year after they popped.

He had a 5.14 ERA over 7 innings with 10 Ks and 0 walks in spring training. Maybe wanted to see how the adjustments they made played out a little longer. Three score innings in AAA with one walk and 4 Ks and then he was the first person to come up when they needed an arm.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 11:50 AM

He had a 5.14 ERA over 7 innings with 10 Ks and 0 walks in spring training. Maybe wanted to see how the adjustments they made played out a little longer. Three score innings in AAA with one walk and 4 Ks and then he was the first person to come up when they needed an arm.

But they looked hard at both guys and said "Logan Gillaspie is the better pitcher right now". He must not have looked like this in the Spring.

Not really trying to say or infer anything.  The whole evolution is incredible.  Hope whatever he found is sustainable.  Even if its just a one-year wonder like we're now wondering about Perez, it'll have a major impact.

• BobPhelan likes this

#51 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 May 2023 - 01:26 PM

Not really trying to say or infer anything.  The whole evolution is incredible.  Hope whatever he found is sustainable.  Even if its just a one-year wonder like we're now wondering about Perez, it'll have a major impact.

They flashed his first 18 innings last year versus his next ~18 innings this year stats and without looking anything else up, I'd bet there's no player ever that has had that kind of a turn around. 

Since no-one has never not given up a run, I'll suggest he'll eventually give one up...'cause, you know, history of MLB....but it's still amazing.

#52 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 May 2023 - 03:18 PM

Ugh. Was discussed in another thread. I hate making this assumption

You hate the truth because it doesn't align with what you want to believe.

If you are good at identifying, acquiring and developing Talent, that is the key to strong farm-system depth and opportunity not throwing away seasons to get a better draft pick.

We're competing, even added to the bullpen in the offseason and still found Cano.  That can't happen, right?

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 03:59 PM

Assuming you could call up Minn and be like lets trade for Cano and it would be simple trade is a horrible assumption. If you arent tradng a major league player as part of the ackage for him what do you realistically think Minn would want for him. Lets say this was the offseaon. You dont have a clue how Minn valued him individually. Being a secondary piece to Povich in a Lopez deal does not mean he wasnt valued by them. Doesnt mean you couldve traded cash for him or a AAAA player for him or an 18 lottery ticket for him.

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:55 PM

But they looked hard at both guys and said "Logan Gillaspie is the better pitcher right now". He must not have looked like this in the Spring.

Not really trying to say or infer anything. The whole evolution is incredible. Hope whatever he found is sustainable. Even if its just a one-year wonder like we're now wondering about Perez, it'll have a major impact.

Gillaspie’s stuff looked much improved as well but obviously there’s more to it than pure stuff.

#55 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 May 2023 - 05:56 PM

Assuming you could call up Minn and be like lets trade for Cano and it would be simple trade is a horrible assumption. If you arent tradng a major league player as part of the ackage for him what do you realistically think Minn would want for him. Lets say this was the offseaon. You dont have a clue how Minn valued him individually. Being a secondary piece to Povich in a Lopez deal does not mean he wasnt valued by them. Doesnt mean you couldve traded cash for him or a AAAA player for him or an 18 lottery ticket for him.

I think he'd (like many guys we acquire) be a fairly easy add.  He was 28 and they had him on the 40 so if they want to use his 40-spot differently, they have to pass him through waivers.  You throw a guy like him in a deal because you know you aren't keeping him on the 40 so there's really no downside.  For any player in this type box, you just trade a better 40-man (ie a guy that doesn't have to be on the 40).

My answer on the Lopez trade isn't really do you trade him or not, like everything, it's everything you are doing so....trade Lopez but execute B, C and D and make the team better, great.  

• mweb08 likes this

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:50 PM

You have no clue how Minn valued him and what it wouldve taken to get him outside of the trade where we did get him. But you assume you do. Again, you have zero basis for acting like Minn was getting ready to dump him off the 40 man. I went through this with Mackus when he compared him to Mike Wright. Or maybe it was Baumann.Both similar at one point. The guy barely had any professional experience in the USA and he had been good in his brief experience in the minors. He was old because he signed old out of Cuba. This wasnt a AAAA guy who had been given multiple chances or had multiple runs in AA or AAA. End of the day he has always been a RP so Im not acting like he was some top end prospect but I also push back on any idea that assumes he was AAAA fodder that Minn didnt really like and was about to drop of the 40 and easily available

#57 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 May 2023 - 09:38 PM

Damn, I really wish people would be more intellectually honest.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 10:05 PM

Damn, I really wish people would be more intellectually honest.

WTF are you on about. There is nothing Im saying I dont absolutely believe to be true.

#59 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 06:42 AM

https://www.mlb.com/...t-reliever-2023

#60 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 08:11 AM

They showed a list of pitchers who've started the season with 0 ER and 0 BB with at least 14-15 IP. Pretty impressive list. Rivera, Eckersley, Hoffman, etc on it. And Cano doesn't have much further to go to make it to the top spot.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=