#1 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 April 2023 - 07:43 PM

Being recalled from AAA tomorrow.

Acquired in the Jorge Lopez trade with Minnesota last year, had pitched three scoreless innings with four strikeouts so far this year.
  • makoman likes this

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,562 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 07:43 PM

Big arm. Who's he replacing?

#3 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 April 2023 - 08:25 PM

Being recalled from AAA tomorrow.

Acquired in the Jorge Lopez trade with Minnesota last year, had pitched three scoreless innings with four strikeouts so far this year.

I have to think there may be someone else called up.  Someone who can eat 3 or 4 innings.

@mikeghg

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 April 2023 - 08:26 PM

Cole Irvin sent down 

@mikeghg

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 11:27 AM

Akin to the paternity list to make room.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 April 2023 - 09:22 AM

Looked ok last night.  Stuff looks like it can be good, but he lacks some command to make it really play.

Almost threw that ball away on the big DP last night.

#7 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 09:27 AM

It looked like it really played last night. The white Sox were beating the ball into the ground. Obviously, the command is important. Cautiously, optimistic. I was also impressed with Baumann. He’s been taking baby steps but if he can use the knuckle curve like he did last night he’s here to stay.
  • BSLChrisStoner and BobPhelan like this

#8 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 04:20 PM

Cano has a potentially elite arm causing ridiculously stupid amounts of sink on pitches exceeding the lower to mid 90s. And a changeup that flutters? What the hell is that? 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,574 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:39 PM

If he can harness any amount of control then him and Felix will be a problem at the end of games.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 07:05 PM

I think Lopez and Baker and Perez and Felix last year are gonna make us all very open to seeing if a middling reliever, not even a prospect, can leverage a major skill and become a useful piece. It won't strike as often as we got blessed with last year, but certainly possible someone like Cano or Baumann can be a weapon or at least useful.

I doubt Cano is on the team in a month, but if we can ride a hot hand and avoid the bounce back biting at inopportune times, that'll be a good result. And if he can be something more, great.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:07 AM

Gotta be honest. Im waiting for the shoe to drop on Cano. Hope Im wrong.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:12 AM

Always easier to expect failure in baseball, but that's definitely a quality arm.  Will be fun to watch how consistent he can be. 

#13 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:21 AM

He also seems to field his position well.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:25 AM

Always easier to expect failure in baseball, but that's definitely a quality arm. Will be fun to watch how consistent he can be.

The sinker is breaking more. He might be able to get away with just that pitch if it remains this solid. The worry is he still cant really control or command the slider and Im not sure the change is a useful pitch period. So will hitters start to pick up the arm angle and sit on sinker and drive it. We will see. Or he starts to command and control the slider better and he becomes a legit 8th inning guy.

Ill say this since its as good a thread as any to post it. Lopez is missed right now. Hes off to a very good start and we still feel a bit short on righties in the pen. Despite the way Baumann, Cano, and Baker have thrown of late

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:27 AM

Lopez has been great this year too, but it’d be amusing if he’s an adequate replacement for Lopez and Povich et al are a bonus. Definitely not expecting that, but no one really expected Lopez to be that good either.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 10:46 AM

Gotta be honest. Im waiting for the shoe to drop on Cano. Hope Im wrong.

The only thing that has dropped so far, is the breaking ball.  It seems to go down and sideways at the same time.  Especially against RH hitters.  He is running with the opportunity so far.

@mikeghg

#17 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:24 PM

The sinker is breaking more. He might be able to get away with just that pitch if it remains this solid. The worry is he still cant really control or command the slider and Im not sure the change is a useful pitch period. So will hitters start to pick up the arm angle and sit on sinker and drive it. We will see. Or he starts to command and control the slider better and he becomes a legit 8th inning guy.

Ill say this since its as good a thread as any to post it. Lopez is missed right now. Hes off to a very good start and we still feel a bit short on righties in the pen. Despite the way Baumann, Cano, and Baker have thrown of late

The last comment would have made some sense two weeks ago but not now.   

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 April 2023 - 04:07 PM

The last comment would have made some sense two weeks ago but not now.   

I admit, I came into the season thinking the BP could be a huge problem.  I am still a little concerned because relievers are streaky but Baumann, Cano, Baker, Coulombe and Bautista have been very good.   Akin, Perez and Voth have been less so, but even they have had their good outings.  With Givens and Tate looming, the BP could well turn out to be a strength.

@mikeghg

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,357 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 April 2023 - 09:57 AM

Elias may have really hit on something with Cano. The stuff looks legit.

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 01:33 PM

Elias may have really hit on something with Cano. The stuff looks legit.

90 mph change up isn’t really a change up, but the drop it has just has batters shaking their heads.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=