150 replies to this topic

#101 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:50 PM

You keep saying this but I don't understand it.

Santander in LF on Opening Day is a fair critique. I get why they put the weakest defender in LF at Fenway, but he definitely seems to really struggle in LF while he's at least passable in RF. Putting Mullins' misplays or McKenna's on him seems difficult to support.

Ill put everything I want on Hyde. Hes horrible. Already tired the pen too. But in particular Stoner was talking about the moving around and having a routine. He had these guys playing everywhere all spring. No set positions for alot of guys. How can all these mistakes keep happening. Do they actually hit fungos and make guys simulate tracking the balls. Do they simulate pop ups that that could fall between players. Do they simulate playing balls at or off the wall. Its one thing to physically lack say range, or to have a weak arm. The mental mistakes drive you nuts. Get a manager in here who demands more

#102 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, I'm not impressed with Hydes BP management and the constant moving around of players can't be great for them settling in.

The way they're handling Stowers is criminal, but that's probably about Hyde for whatever reason.

Only three games in, though.

#103 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:57 PM

Had no doubt they would have a hangover from last nights gut punch.

#104 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:58 PM

Get out of Boston and get refocused in Texas. This series has been a disaster.

#105 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:58 PM

How can you be this unprepared and make these many simple mistakes out of ST. He did not have this team ready to go. Period. Yeah, the pitching hasnt been great though the defense has made it look worse than it appears. Hitting has been solid. But this game is far more than hitting and pitching. Someone tell Hyde this.

#106 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 02:59 PM

Get out of Boston and get refocused in Texas. This series has been a disaster.

Texas has crapped all over Philly. If you think theyre some relief think again. Especially if you arent gonna take the outs they give you.

#107 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:02 PM

He also has poor feel for bringing guys along. Stowers rarely plays, like that will help. Baumann gets back to backs rather than trying to work him up to high leverage, throws him right in. We saw this a bunch last year too. Very poor feel for the player development stuff on the big league club IMO.

#108 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:02 PM

Do they actually hit fungos and make guys simulate tracking the balls. Do they simulate pop ups that that could fall between players. Do they simulate playing balls at or off the wall. 

I get thinking the defensive start is horrible for the outfield, it is.  Maybe its lack of preparation, but I really doubt it.  But what drill do you think they need to do so that McKenna catches that ball last night?  The same guy you said it was a huge mistake to not having in during the 6th inning as a defensive replacement on Opening Day.

• JStruds likes this

#109 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:06 PM

McKenna also made a diving catch earlier in that game.

As bad as the defense has been I don’t know you can blame it on anyone. Let’s see if it continues beyond this series.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:06 PM

I get thinking the defensive start is horrible for the outfield, it is. Maybe its lack of preparation, but I really doubt it. But what drill do you think they need to do so that McKenna catches that ball last night? The same guy you said it was a huge mistake to not having in during the 6th inning as a defensive replacement on Opening Day.

Drops are drops. I hated seeing Hays completely turned around and missing a ball by a dozen feet more than that drop. Balls dropping between players. Physical mistakes happen. The mental mistakes from being unprepared drive me crazy.

Ron Washington is 70. Hes not getting youger but hes a hell of a coach. Get him in here the second the season ends. Or Maddon though Im not his biggest fan either. I need somebody whos been there before and knows how to prepare a team

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:09 PM

And make no mistake you can do things during the season but there is essentially a game every day. Its a grind. If you were unprepared out of ST its not an easy game of catch up.

#112 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:10 PM

Baumann isn't much more than a fringe BP arm, either.

Good fastball velocity, but can't locate it and his breaking stuff is average, which he also can't command. Not much swing and miss ability with his stuff from what I've seen.

#113 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:11 PM

What's the team ERA after the first series? 9?

#114 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:12 PM

So 3 games which is massive SSS but here' my quick look

Offense - going to be ok. Not great but middle of the pack.

Defense - not good....but it can't be THIS bad all season.

Pitching - poor.

And remember this is the only team in the ALE we are predicted to finish ahead of. Yikes.

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:12 PM

Drops are drops. I hated seeing Hays completely turned around and missing a ball by a dozen feet more than that drop. Balls dropping between players. Physical mistakes happen. The mental mistakes from being unprepared drive me crazy.

Ron Washington is 70. Hes not getting youger but hes a hell of a coach. Get him in here the second the season ends. Or Maddon though Im not his biggest fan either. I need somebody whos been there before and knows how to prepare a team

I mean the blow scene in Baltimore is pretty deec, so maybe there’s a chance.

Ron Washington also once lost a World Series when Nelson Cruz made a key error when they were within outs of clinching the series against the Cards.
  • makoman likes this

#116 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:13 PM

So 3 games which is massive SSS but here' my quick look

Offense - going to be ok. Not great but middle of the pack.

Defense - not good....but it can't be THIS bad all season.

Pitching - poor.

Switch the defense and the pitching. For now. The staff should be glaring at these position players right now.

#117 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:14 PM

I mean the blow scene in Baltimore is pretty deec, so maybe there’s a chance.

Ron Washington also once lost a World Series when Nelson Cruz made a key error when they were within outs of clinching the series against the Cards.

Brandon Hyde has no chance of ever sniffing a WS game. But whatever. Get me a guy whos proven he knows what leadership is and will have the guys prepared. If Elias wont do it because he is trting to manage from the owners box he can get bent too. I need the talent first but after that it doesnt matter if tou dont have a manager. At this point Ill take any great manager over Elias. Yeah I said it. You think Im that far up Elias's ass reread that last sentence.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#118 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:14 PM

Frazier is on a tear. Great to see it.

#119 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:15 PM

Gaping wound finally closed…Jesus. Wrestlemania can’t start soon enough!

My man!
@BSLMikeRandall

#120 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:15 PM

Can’t imagine the pressure on Vavra and Stowers knowing that if they don’t do something kinda neat, they may ride the bench the rest of April.
  • BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=