150 replies to this topic

#121 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:15 PM

Season is over. The next 159 games don't matter.

#122 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:19 PM

Toronto's season is also over.

#123 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:20 PM

Screw this team

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#124 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:21 PM

I never want to hear I'm reactionary and have bad takes again. Holy hell.
  • JoyinMudville and makoman like this

#125 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:23 PM

I never want to hear I'm reactionary and have bad takes again. Holy hell.

Got ourselves a brand spankin new hall monitor!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#126 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:28 PM

Got ourselves a brand spankin new hall monitor!

I'm just saying. It was a bad series, and the O's played terribly, but the season is like 2% over. Calling for everyone's head after a bad couple of games is crazytown, particularly on the heels of a season where they just won 30 more games than they were supposed to, most of which came in the middle of the season after a bad start.

#127 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:30 PM

Hyde is horrible. Itll be proven to all soon enough. Thats the only genuine hot take I have but Im firm in it already.

#128 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Frustrating start to say the least. As bad as they played they should be 2-1. And we’re feeling a little better.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#129 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Hyde is horrible. Itll be proven to all soon enough. Thats the only genuine hot take I have but Im firm in it already.

Was he horrible last year? Are you taking the stance that they won vastly more games than they were supposed to in spite of him?
  • JoyinMudville likes this

#130 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:31 PM

Just crazy they were up 7-1 after the 3rd inning in Game 2 after holding on in Game 1 and lose this series.

Too many poor things.  What a waste of offense during the series to lose 2 of 3.  There'll be days we don't hit.  

It's one series. Toronto shit their bed too, but man what a disappointing outcome in series #1. 

• mdrunning likes this

#131 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:35 PM

It's very possible this is a bad team, but I have a hard time blaming that on Hyde. You can't manage a bullpen if your entire bullpen sucks. They didn't make one acquisition of impact over the offseason, and apparently just expected everyone to be better this year. These are professional baseball players. It's their job to be able to field their position. There is a degree of getting the team ready that of course falls on the manager, but these are not little babies.

#132 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:39 PM

Just crazy they were up 7-1 after the 3rd inning in Game 2 after holding on in Game 1 and lose this series.

Too many poor things. What a waste of offense during the series to lose 2 of 3. There'll be days we don't hit.

It's one series. Toronto shit their bed too, but man what a disappointing outcome in series #1.

St Louis is a good team. Bos will prove to not be a good team.

#133 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 03:42 PM

San Diego should pack it in too.

#134 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:31 PM

It's tough to win with lousy pitching and defense.  There's only so much Hyde can do.  Earl Weaver, a Hall of Fame manager, found that out quickly in 1986.  All you can hope is they got this out of their system in Boston and will play much cleaner games in Texas.  I actually think they have the potential of being a really solid offense in a sport still dominated by pitching.  It's only 3 games.  I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember but the opening series in Milwaukee in 1978 was a gruesome scene. They got swept and lost 3 games by scores of 11-3, 16-3, and 13-5.  Then they went to KC and lost another pair.  They started 0-5 with an E.R.A. that was abominable.  They also went 90-66 the rest of the way.  

#135 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 04:58 PM

It's a long season. A three game series like this in May, June, July, or August and no one bats an eye.

#136 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,387 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:29 PM

Was he horrible last year? Are you taking the stance that they won vastly more games than they were supposed to in spite of him?

IMO he certainly was, at least in August and September.

#137 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:42 PM

IMO he certainly was, at least in August and September.

I mean, I'm not sure what to say here. The team was one of the biggest single season turnarounds in recent memory despite selling at the deadline. I don't have many strong feelings about Hyde either way, but giving him no credit for that seems insane to me.

#138 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:48 PM

I mean, I'm not sure what to say here. The team was one of the biggest single season turnarounds in recent memory despite selling at the deadline. I don't have many strong feelings about Hyde either way, but giving him no credit for that seems insane to me.

He can get some amount of credit for last year. I'm not sure how much was him and how much the players. But he also won less than 60 games in his other two non-covid years. Those years count too if we're evaluating him. FWIW, I'm pretty indifferent on manager value in general anyway, and also pretty indifferent on Hyde.

#139 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 05:52 PM

He can get some amount of credit for last year. I'm not sure how much was him and how much the players. But he also won less than 60 games in his other two non-covid years. Those years count too if we're evaluating him. FWIW, I'm pretty indifferent on manager value in general anyway, and also pretty indifferent on Hyde.

I don't have a problem with that stance, but it bugs me when the players get the credit for teams winning, and managers get the blame for teams losing. Both are responsible for both.

#140 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 April 2023 - 06:46 PM

Elias has the control, including over playing time, and ultimately over Hyde's employment. Thus much of the anti Hyde stuff should also or sometimes separately be directed at Elias.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=