#81 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2023 - 10:57 AM

The thing we have to keep in mind though is that we are playing .628 ball with 25 games left. We don't want to head into the playoffs on a downward spiral. We are on pace to win 102 games right now. Only winning 95 would mean that things have not gone well in the final days leading into the playoffs. Anything less than 100 wins, 14-11, would not look good heading into the playoffs. 100 wins might look lofty but 14-11 doesn't.

Not trying to be confrontational, but if we get the division and the first round bye, what does it matter.  Baseball is a game of good and bad streaks.  Every team has them.  The media and fans love to talk about the good and the bad, but the standings are all that matters.

Earl Weaver used to say, every team is going to win 54, every team is going to lose 54, it is what you do in the other 54 that matters.  The Orioles are going to do real well in that third group.

• bmore_ken, CantonJester and BSLRoseKatz like this
@mikeghg

#82 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:05 AM

The Phillies were 11-14 in September and 3-3 in October entering the postseason last year, no one's gonna complain if they end the season hot but trudging along to the finish line isn't necessarily a real red flag I think

• Mike B likes this

#83 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:09 AM

The Phillies were 11-14 in September and 3-3 in October entering the postseason last year, no one's gonna complain if they end the season hot but trudging along to the finish line isn't necessarily a real red flag I think

It isn't but what if we're blowing a bunch of games in the 9th because Bautista is out or we suffer another injury or two that cause us not to play well? I'm hoping we're clicking on all cylinders like we have all season and not heading into the playoffs with our first losing month of the season.

#84 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:39 AM

86-76. Last WC.

And I was one of the more optimistic prognosticators in this thread. 

#85 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:44 AM

Not trying to be confrontational, but if we get the division and the first round bye, what does it matter.  Baseball is a game of good and bad streaks.  Every team has them.  The media and fans love to talk about the good and the bad, but the standings are all that matters.

Earl Weaver used to say, every team is going to win 54, every team is going to lose 54, it is what you do in the other 54 that matters.  The Orioles are going to do real well in that third group.

What's amazing is the 69-70 Orioles won all of those other 54 games.  

• Mike B and RShack like this

#86 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 11:55 AM

What's amazing is the 69-70 Orioles won all of those other 54 games.

The 2018-21 O’s were also amazing in a related way.
  • Mike B and BaltBird 24 like this

#87 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 September 2023 - 12:51 PM

The 2018-21 O’s were also amazing in a related way.

Did the Orioles play baseball in those years?

@mikeghg

#88 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,743 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 02:37 PM

Unfortunately for us, yes.

#89 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 05 September 2023 - 03:04 PM

I don’t want to say anything more, might blow my shot at a sweet MASN gig one day.

#90 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 September 2023 - 05:30 PM

yes hence the young core we have today......ok Dude flame away....lol

#91 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 04:58 PM

Not trying to be confrontational, but if we get the division and the first round bye, what does it matter. Baseball is a game of good and bad streaks. Every team has them. The media and fans love to talk about the good and the bad, but the standings are all that matters.

Pretty much where I'm at on the topic.

#92 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 05:19 PM

Pretty much where I'm at on the topic.

This is why it matters.

This is admittedly a snapshot in time, and sometimes we can overrate how well a team is playing in the moment and miss the big picture. For the most part, however, teams that reach the World Series do play well the final month -- although, not always. Since 2016, three of the 16 World Series participants had a losing record the final month (the 2022 Phillies were 14-17, the 2017 Dodgers were 13-17 and the 2015 Royals were 15-17). The other 13 teams were an average of eight games over .500 the final month.

https://www.espn.com...23-world-series

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 05:43 PM

This is why it matters.

This is admittedly a snapshot in time, and sometimes we can overrate how well a team is playing in the moment and miss the big picture. For the most part, however, teams that reach the World Series do play well the final month -- although, not always. Since 2016, three of the 16 World Series participants had a losing record the final month (the 2022 Phillies were 14-17, the 2017 Dodgers were 13-17 and the 2015 Royals were 15-17). The other 13 teams were an average of eight games over .500 the final month.

Again, World Series teams probably have similar results of you're counting months over .500 in August and June and April. This isn't meaningful to me at a glance and is somewhat in opposition, or at least tangential, to what I know about full season record versus September record having the bigger correlation to postseason success.

I only care about winning the division. Would prefer to do it strongly so that the team's overall season is stronger and for personal stress-related reasons. But I'd rather limp to a division title than have a great September record but somehow get caught by the even hotter Rays.

#94 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:01 PM

Again, World Series teams probably have similar results of you're counting months over .500 in August and June and April. This isn't meaningful to me at a glance and is somewhat in opposition, or at least tangential, to what I know about full season record versus September record having the bigger correlation to postseason success.

I only care about winning the division. Would prefer to do it strongly so that the team's overall season is stronger and for personal stress-related reasons. But I'd rather limp to a division title than have a great September record but somehow get caught by the even hotter Rays.

The discussion was whether it matters or not to be winning going into the playoffs.

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,882 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:36 PM

The discussion was whether it matters or not to be winning going into the playoffs.

Right, I'm saying that's misdirection. The cause is good team, the symptom is good September.
  • makoman likes this

#96 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 06:39 PM

Right, I'm saying that's misdirection. The cause is good team, the symptom is good September.

Correlation, something something.

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:35 PM

I sprinkled a bit on them winning the division. Im not backing down now.

94- 68

Exceeded the most optimistic of predictions. Thankfully. 94 isnt gonna be enough for the division.

#98 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 September 2023 - 07:49 AM

Apparently the 2018 and 2021 Orioles missed that memo!

#99 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 07:54 AM

This is why it matters.

With all due respect. All that literally proves nothing. You would have to do a deep dive into the detail of each of those teams final month. Wins and losses don't tell a complete story. The reality is if you get in, regardless of how you get in anything can happen. I'm sure if i did the research I could find teams that didn't play all that well the final month and still did well in the playoffs. 

#100 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 09:09 AM

With all due respect. All that literally proves nothing. You would have to do a deep dive into the detail of each of those teams final month. Wins and losses don't tell a complete story. The reality is if you get in, regardless of how you get in anything can happen. I'm sure if i did the research I could find teams that didn't play all that well the final month and still did well in the playoffs.

We beat this subject to death. We basically agreed that we'd rather go into the playoffs hot vs. cold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=