dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 March 2023 - 05:37 PM

There are no tough roster decisions.

It's certainly a big deal for these individual players because it has a huge consequence on their life and the life of their family, but it's mostly irrelevant from a Team/Fan perspective.

Spring Training doesn't really tell you anything.

#362 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 06:21 PM

There are no tough roster decisions.

It's certainly a big deal for these individual players because it has a huge consequence on their life and the life of their family, but it's mostly irrelevant from a Team/Fan perspective.

Spring Training doesn't really tell you anything.

Let me push back on this sentiment (I've seen this said ad nauseam this season on some Yankee boards re: their IF situation). 

While it is true you must ultimately trust the scouting reports and take a prospect's Spring Training success with a grain of salt (inferior or equal competition, MLB talent throwing almost exclusively their 3rd and 4th pitches in their arsenal, etc)..What I think you can glean from Spring Training is say, what to expect from a Josh Donaldson, who last year fell off a cliff, and this Spring Training looks as lost as he did last season. 

#363 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2023 - 08:51 PM

I guess if there is a sliver of a silver lining to Bradish's outing today it's that 1) his previous 3 outings were all decent, and 2) if this were the regular season Hyde would not have left him out there long enough to rack up 9 ER.

#364 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:06 AM

Wells is getting the 5th rotation spot along with Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, and Bradish. Thats the way it should be. GRod hasnt earned it and most importantly we need to get the extra year of team control.

#365 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 March 2023 - 09:39 AM

Wells is getting the 5th rotation spot along with Gibson, Irvin, Kremer, and Bradish. Thats the way it should be. GRod hasnt earned it and most importantly we need to get the extra year of team control.

Want to put money on it?

#366 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:43 AM

Want to put money on it?

I assume youve heard things but I think its a bad decision if they go with GRod. What are they going to do piggy back Wells? Long relief? Seems pointless

#367 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:51 AM

Politi had one bad outing where he gave up 4 runs. All his other outings were scoreless. He would seem to be a lock. Unless his stuff is underwhelming but if that was the case he wouldnt have been selected in the R5

#368 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,105 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:04 AM

I assume youve heard things but I think its a bad decision if they go with GRod. What are they going to do piggy back Wells? Long relief? Seems pointless

Elias has said multiple times he's starting the year in the rotation.

Wells is going to the bullpen.

#369 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:04 AM

Wells was a solid starter but he's a weapon out of the bullpen. His numbers are better across the board as a reliever than as a starter.

Do you put more value on a handful of spring starts or how Rodriguez has plowed through the minors? If he had earned a call up last year, what's changed to say he hasn't earned it? Furthermore, why would you want to waste any of Rodriguez's innings at Norfolk? 

If the Orioles are serious about making a run at a postseason berth, Rodriguez belongs in the rotation from jump street.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#370 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:07 AM

I'd prefer Wells for a back-end of the bullpen role once he switches there.  

I lean toward Rodriguez on the Opening Day roster but won't complain if they manipulate his time and keep him down in April.  He's gotta be up shortly after that though unless he's got an injury.  There are no performance hurdles left for him to clear.  He has already earned his promotion, so I disagree with your comments in that regard.  Its entirely a question of the value of long-term service and  a question of innings management over the course of this season.  There is enough potential benefit to holding him back to do so without it feeling irresponsible towards goals of winning this season.  Especially when you consider that those early season innings aren't lost, but rather just re-arranged to later in the year.  Because any inning he pitches in April would likely be an inning he cannot pitch in September or October.

#371 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:12 AM

I want GRod over Wells for the rotation but manipulating the service time is necessary. And the point remains that Wells is stretched out. Using him in middle relief seems stupid.

#372 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:14 AM

Furthermore, why would you want to waste any of Rodriguez's innings at Norfolk? 

This is a good question.  My answer would be that the question might be partially moot.  I think we can manage his innings early in Norfolk in a way that may not actually reduce the number of innings he can pitch once promoted, or at least not by a 1-to-1 ratio.

I think that not all innings and outings really count against whatever target innings number you are working towards. I think there is some merit to the idea that if you're only going 1-3 innings, you can do that as often as you like without much concern for season-long wear.  So if he pitches a handful of 3 inning, 50-pitch stints over the first 3+ weeks in Norfolk before a few longer outings to ramp up to being capable of going 6/100, I think that despite pitching 25-30 innings in Norfolk you may only lower the number of innings you think he's got left in his arm this year by 10-15 or so.  

You could absolutely do the same thing in MLB, but its a lot easier to yank a SP after 2 or 3 innings for individual reasons at Norfolk than it is at MLB where you (should) actually care about the outcome of the game.

Also possible this theory is garbage, and that all innings count the same.  But I think injury avoidance is more about limiting fatigued innings than simply counting all innings.

• PrimeTime likes this

#373 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:15 AM

He hasnt earned it this spring. But again. Im excited about GRod overall. So much so that again, I think its necessary to manipulate the service time

#374 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:16 AM

20 innings max isnt worth a whole year in '29 when hes a stud. I get he could finish top 2 in ROY but its unlikely

#375 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:17 AM

I want GRod over Wells for the rotation but manipulating the service time is necessary. And the point remains that Wells is stretched out. Using him in middle relief seems stupid.

Long-relief has more value early in the season when starters often don't go past 4 or 5.  Those aren't just wipeout innings like they often are later in the season, those outings can often be in support of a victory (like Akin often did early last season).

But beyond that, I would like to use Wells moreso in the later innings, helping fill the void for Tate's absence and in case Perez isn't as reliable as last season.  Those innigns are always valuable.

#376 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

He hasnt earned it this spring.

He didn't need to.  

No critique of wanting to manipulate time to ensure 2029, perfectly valid rationale, but just say that's the only reason.  Saying he did something wrong this Spring to somehow justify the decision is silly.  That'll be the public comment from Elias, because it has to be, but everyone knows that's a lie.  

Would be like saying the Rutschman only hitting 225 last Spring would've justified his demotion (I have no idea what he hit last year before being shut down, this is a hypothetical).

#377 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

If Gunnar and GrayRod went 1-2 in ROY, would the O's double dip in compensation?

#378 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:19 AM

Hes still only gonna be able to pitch every 3 or 4 days. Even if they are valuable innings Id still rather him be able to go on back to back nights or 3 out of 4 if necessary

#379 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:22 AM

He didn't need to.

No critique of wanting to manipulate time to ensure 2029, perfectly valid rationale, but just say that's the only reason. Saying he did something wrong this Spring to somehow justify the decision is silly. That'll be the public comment from Elias, because it has to be, but everyone knows that's a lie.

Would be like saying the Rutschman only hitting 225 last Spring would've justified his demotion (I have no idea what he hit last year before being shut down, this is a hypothetical).

He couldve made it easy on himself this spring. Now Elias has an out and he better take it. I need GRod to go down and get stretched out a bit and uh work on that command.

#380 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,105 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 11:24 AM

I'd be annoyed if he goes back to AAA. 

I think worrying about service time has merit, but ultimately if you want that guy past his control years... make him an offer now into Y1 or 2 of FA now when you have the most control. 

I'd probably lean on sending him back, if you weren't trying to contend this year. 

Since contention is the stated goal, I want him in the rotation to begin with. 

I figure he's got 150 innings +/- this year in him. I want them all in the Majors. 

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=