1054 replies to this topic

#61 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 05:50 PM

I had no issue with Huntley as the backup this past off-season. Don't recall anyone else suggesting he wasn't adequate, either, but maybe some did and I'm not remembering.

I remember it the same way. And some were even suggesting trading Lamar and making him the starter.

#62 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:52 AM

Being reported right now that Lamar faces an uphill battle to being available this Sunday.

So, on to the offseason for the Ravens.

#63 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:09 AM

Whether he plays or not, and I'm guessing he won't, the Ravens should really part ways with Saunders this off-season I think. Too many weird and oddly long recovery issues in recent years.

#64 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:35 AM

Line has moved from 6 1/2 to 7 and in some places 7 1/2.   Bleacher report says that his knee is "still not quite right" after testing it.   

#65 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:48 AM

I remember it the same way. And some were even suggesting trading Lamar and making him the starter.

There were definitely some hot takes after Huntley's first couple starts last season.  But they kind of died off by his last game or two.  And then this season should have put that to rest.

#66 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 11 January 2023 - 09:57 AM

If Lamar is a no go, I think there has to be a serious conversation about starting Anthony Brown over Huntley.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#67 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:00 AM

He ain't playing and I don't think he's terribly interested in trying to play.

#68 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:00 AM

If Lamar is a no go, I think there has to be a serious conversation about starting Anthony Brown over Huntley.

I don't know about that. I am over Huntley as a QB but Brown didn't do much to inspire confidence.

That said if Huntley craps the bed I'd switch him out for Brown.

As sorry as it sounds I wish they'd gotten Brett Hundley more up to speed and gotten him a chance to play against Cincy.

But either way it's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. We don't have much chance without Lamar and with him I don't expect to win this game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#69 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

I think an upset is still possible sans Lamar.

#70 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:02 AM

I think an upset is still possible sans Lamar.

I'm always up for a Ravensesque "keep it close, lose it late" loss. Especially in the playoffs and especially when I think it'll be a blowout.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#71 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

I'm always up for a Ravensesque "keep it close, lose it late" loss. Especially in the playoffs and especially when I think it'll be a blowout.

The hope from where I sit is the Bengals take us lightly due to the news on Lamar, and lose a little edge. Defense should play well, a couple lucky breaks on offense and this is a game. I love Burrow, think he's phenomenal and underrated (somehow), I'd love nothing more than to modify their level of confidence heading into next year. Cocky assholes.

#72 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

I think the difference between Huntley and Brown is that Brown gives you more of a chance to push the ball downfield through the air if you want, but he will also be good for at least two picks.  But if it's Huntley, Cincinnati can do just like Pittsburgh did on defense playing man to man and stuffing the box.  Pick your poison.  

#73 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:27 AM

Was there ever an estimate given for how much time Lamar was expected to miss?

#74 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:31 AM

Initially it was "4-6 weeks." Now it's something like "4 weeks til new contract."

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:40 AM

Not from the team

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,886 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:47 AM

I don't at all believe that Lamar is slow-playing his recovery and should be able to go but it playing it safe or outright just not interested in playing.  It is a huge slap in his face to suggest that and I don't know why any of us would think that given everything we've seen from him over the years.  Would be a total 180 of his character and mindset.

The team would never say so, but they should have a very good idea internally of if that is actually happening or not.  And if it is, then you have to trade him.  It'd be an absolute deal-breaker for me.  Holding out in camp or to begin a year or even all year if needed is fair game.  But holding out at the end of a year leading into the playoffs is a completely different beast.  Again, I strongly don't think this is the case, but if it were it's game over.

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:49 AM

I don't at all believe that Lamar is slow-playing his recovery and should be able to go but it playing it safe or outright just not interested in playing. It is a huge slap in his face to suggest that and I don't know why any of us would think that given everything we've seen from him over the years. Would be a total 180 of his character and mindset.

The team would never say so, but they should have a very good idea internally of if that is actually happening or not. And if it is, then you have to trade him. It'd be an absolute deal-breaker for me. Holding out in camp or to begin a year or even all year if needed is fair game. But holding out at the end of a year leading into the playoffs is a completely different beast. Again, I strongly don't think this is the case, but if it were it's game over.

We will probably never know the whole story. I tend to agree with you, but as time goes by I really do wonder. Agreed fully with your conclusion regarding what that would mean.

#78 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,603 posts

Posted 11 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

Gotta wonder if the Ravens have been trying to negotiate with Lamar this week. They locked up Smith. Why wouldn't they do this with Lamar? I know he said he wouldn't negotiate during the season but if they came to him and said, "here's our best offer...we know you may not want to play on Sunday without a long term deal" that would certainly remove any doubt that Lamar isn't playing due to lack of a deal.

#79 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:00 AM

Picking Huntley or Brown is like asking me if I rather be punched in the left eye or the right.

• You Play to Win the Game, NewMarketSean, ivanbalt and 1 other like this

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 January 2023 - 11:03 AM

Gotta wonder if the Ravens have been trying to negotiate with Lamar this week. They locked up Smith. Why wouldn't they do this with Lamar? I know he said he wouldn't negotiate during the season but if they came to him and said, "here's our best offer...we know you may not want to play on Sunday without a long term deal" that would certainly remove any doubt that Lamar isn't playing due to lack of a deal.

Because they aren’t keeping him IMO. Writing is all over the wall at this point, again IMHO. We’ll see.

There has been absolutely nothing that has happened this season that would move the Ravens towards an area of feeling more comfortable giving him what he wants, than they would’ve been last off-season. Yes, Mack is right, costs only ever rise. But if they weren’t comfortable enough to do it last off-season, I can’t fathom a scenario where they are now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=