#21 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:10 PM

We were clearly uninterested in winning period

Yeah, this game pretty objectively was more important to the Bengals than the Ravens. Hell, even from a practice standpoint,  Anthony Brown was quoted as saying he didn't even know he was starting until today. I don't know how the practice reps were split this week, but it probably wasn't ideal.

Whatever handicap anyone wants to apply to the Bengals, I think it applies at least equally so to a Ravens team resting players.

#22 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, this game pretty objectively was more important to the Bengals than the Ravens. Hell, even from a practice standpoint, Anthony Brown was quoted as saying he didn't even know he was starting until today. I don't know how the practice reps were split this week, but it probably wasn't ideal.

Whatever handicap anyone wants to apply to the Bengals, I think it applies at least equally so to a Ravens team resting players.

Like I've said. It's very possible Cincy comes out next week and smokes us. They have a high powered offense, and the playmakers to do it.

However, our defense showed today that they can also consistently stop their offense. The key is getting pressure on Burrow, and keeping Mixon contained in the running game.

The real question, is can our offense score enough points? If Lamar plays, this could very well be his chance to earn the deal he wants. If he can play, and hang 28+ while leading the team to a playoff win against a Superbowl favorite, that's a huge positive for him.

#23 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:17 PM

I don't know how anyone watching today could get the impression that Cincinnati wasn't into the game. The pre-planned celebrations. The chippiness. Mixon on the sideline taunting Robinson after the challenge. Chase getting 13 targets. Burrow dropping back 45 times. None of that screams not caring, or not trying.

They wanted to hang 50 on us. They wanted a blowout and a statement. That was so obvious by the playcalling, the emotion they showed after every decent play, and the fact that they attacked our precieved weakest secondary player pretty much all day. But, they ran into a defense that didn't allow them to walk all over them like last season. Worley stepped up. Hamilton was laying people out. And Smith was flying around making tackles all over.

Our defense can consistently stop their offense. They're not as unbeatable as people here think. If Lamar can play at 85%-90% health, this is a coinflip type game.

100%

This team clearly cared, a lot. And they weren't shy about it showing it even prior to today.

Obviously I'm biased, but I found the whole coin flip outrage to be pathetic. Especially coming from the team that most directly benefitted from the BUF-CIN game cancelation.

Under different circumstances, the result of this game would be enraging. But it's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where a Lamar-led offense is even remotely competent and everything changes.

• PrimeTime likes this

#24 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:24 PM

I don't think it was necessarily a vanilla offense, but Cincinnati clearly looked unfocused at times. Their energy level was no where near the first drive they had last Monday night. I think they absolutely wanted to win the game, it meant playing at home in the playoffs. But I think they looked very much like a team that had not put a lot of work in this week.

Two teams were on the field. Burrow missed a pass to Higgins. It happens. Even Brady and Manning missed wide open recievers. I think they 100%, put in the work. I think they buy their own hype and believe that all they have to do is show up, and the opposing defense doesn't stand a chance. I think Hamilton, Smith, Williams, Worley and our line getting consistent pressure ruined a lot of what they had planned.

I think it's pretty annoying that people here are so willing to take credit away from our defense today, acting like Cincinnati was simply not trying. Instead of thinking that, just maybe, our defense played better than their offense for a lot of the game.

#25 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:25 PM

Like I've said. It's very possible Cincy comes out next week and smokes us. They have a high powered offense, and the playmakers to do it.

However, our defense showed today that they can also consistently stop their offense. The key is getting pressure on Burrow, and keeping Mixon contained in the running game.

The real question, is can our offense score enough points? If Lamar plays, this could very well be his chance to earn the deal he wants. If he can play, and hang 28+ while leading the team to a playoff win against a Superbowl favorite, that's a huge positive for him.

The defensive performance is what sold me and gave me hope for next week. The pass rush showing up. The secondary with Worley as your #2 corner. They're going to be better equipped, the whole team that is, next week.

Maybe we're all being set up for disappointment. That wouldn't be surprising. But based on what I saw today, I'm far more hopeful assuming Lamar plays. And I think he will.

#26 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,543 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:33 PM

Sat early

Sat early will be Jax

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#27 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:34 PM

I don't know how anyone watching today could get the impression that Cincinnati wasn't into the game. The pre-planned celebrations. The chippiness. Mixon on the sideline taunting Robinson after the challenge. Chase getting 13 targets. Burrow dropping back 45 times. None of that screams not caring, or not trying.

They wanted to hang 50 on us. They wanted a blowout and a statement. That was so obvious by the playcalling, the emotion they showed after every decent play, and the fact that they attacked our precieved weakest secondary player pretty much all day. But, they ran into a defense that didn't allow them to walk all over them like last season. Worley stepped up. Hamilton was laying people out. And Smith was flying around making tackles all over.

Our defense can consistently stop their offense. They're not as unbeatable as people here think. If Lamar can play at 85%-90% health, this is a coinflip type game.

I didn't say they weren't into the game.  I never said they didn't care.  Sure they wanted to win.  They were pissed off.  Those pre-planned celebrations, every team has them.   

What I said was they played about as crisp and sharp as a team that did not practice all week could be expected to play.  Based on Cincinnati paper reports, they did nothing Tuesday except a number of players went to the hospital.  They had meetings with no practice Wednesday and Thursday.  Sometime during that period they actually talked among the team of not wanting to even play this weekend.  They finally practiced for the first time on Friday.  That's a huge disruption from a normal routine.  That didn't affect their desire to beat the crap out of the Ravens, but it did affect their readiness to do so.   Now from the Raven's sideline, they didn't exactly bring their A team to the party either.  I'm still not sure why.  If they eliminate the turnovers they very well could have won the game giving themselves a 50/50 chance at playing in Baltimore next weekend.  

Their game plan had Burrow throwing a lot.  I would expect more of the same this weekend.  Why not?  Raven's are tough against the run, but their secondary can be burned.  I don't know what happened against Pittsburgh, but usually the Raven's shut down opposing teams running games.  I would expect a lot more of the same from Cincinnati again next weekend.  Sure the Raven's can win.  Cincinnati isn't unbeatable.  But I don't think today was one of their best efforts.  The Ravens gave them that game with turnovers.  I think you will see a different Cincinnati team next week.  And if Lamar plays, a different Raven's team as well.  If he doesn't, I don't how much better they can be.  

#28 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:37 PM

The defensive performance is what sold me and gave me hope for next week. The pass rush showing up. The secondary with Worley as your #2 corner. They're going to be better equipped, the whole team that is, next week.

Maybe we're all being set up for disappointment. That wouldn't be surprising. But based on what I saw today, I'm far more hopeful assuming Lamar plays. And I think he will.

That's where in at.

I get it. They have one of the best young QB's in football. They have a top 10 RB. They have a top 5 WR on one side, and a top 20 guy on the other side. If the line gives Burrow time, he's going to find someone, and a big play can happen at any given time.

But Baltimore has Calias Campbell, who is still a top 10 interior lineman. They have a top 3 ILB. They have Williams, a top 3 FS. They have Hamilton, who is a top 10 S. And they have Humphrey who is a top 10 CB.

Our defense is not devoid of talent. We can 100% match up and stop them, with the proper game plan and play calling. (That's the scary part )

The biggest mismatch is the Ravens offense against their defense. If Lamar plays, we have a line, and a running game, that should be able to move the ball, eat clock, and limit their chances on offense. They also have their best passer available, who can make big time throws when needed.

If Huntley plays, I'd say it goes from a coin flip type match up, to a 60-40 type game. Unfortunately, with Huntley, I don't think we find enough offense to win.

#29 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:47 PM

I didn't say they weren't into the game. I never said they didn't care. Sure they wanted to win. They were pissed off. Those pre-planned celebrations, every team has them.

I really don't think Cincinnati was all that into today's game. I think it was more of an irritation to them that they had to actually put effort into it to avoid possibly playing in Baltimore next week. They were pissed at that, but that doesn't usually last past the first series. You could see they were not focused. Tee Higgins had a step on the defender and dropped an easy big gainer. Burrow overthrew a wide open receiver in the end zone.

You literally said exactly that. lol

What I said was they played about as crisp and sharp as a team that did not practice all week could be expected to play. Based on Cincinnati paper reports, they did nothing Tuesday except a number of players went to the hospital. They had meetings with no practice Wednesday and Thursday. Sometime during that period they actually talked among the team of not wanting to even play this weekend. They finally practiced for the first time on Friday. That's a huge disruption from a normal routine. That didn't affect their desire to beat the crap out of the Ravens, but it did affect their readiness to do so. Now from the Raven's sideline, they didn't exactly bring their A team to the party either. I'm still not sure why. If they eliminate the turnovers they very well could have won the game giving themselves a 50/50 chance at playing in Baltimore next weekend.

Their game plan had Burrow throwing a lot. I would expect more of the same this weekend. Why not? Raven's are tough against the run, but their secondary can be burned. I don't know what happened against Pittsburgh, but usually the Raven's shut down opposing teams running games. I would expect a lot more of the same from Cincinnati again next weekend. Sure the Raven's can win. Cincinnati isn't unbeatable. But I don't think today was one of their best efforts. The Ravens gave them that game with turnovers. I think you will see a different Cincinnati team next week. And if Lamar plays, a different Raven's team as well. If he doesn't, I don't how much better they can be.

I think they didn't give their best effort, simply because they met a defense that didn't allow them to give their best effort. Claiming it was anything else is an unfair discredit to what our defense was able to do.

My question is, can they do it in back to back weeks?

#30 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 11:07 PM

You literally said exactly that. lol

I think they didn't give their best effort, simply because they met a defense that didn't allow them to give their best effort. Claiming it was anything else is an unfair discredit to what our defense was able to do.

My question is, can they do it in back to back weeks?

Yeah I did type it.  That's the problem with typing instead of talking.  What I meant wasn't that they didn't care about the game, but that their week prior left them at a big disadvantage from an emotional stand point.  

I guess we will just disagree.  I don't think the Ravens have no chance to win the game.  I just believe if the Bengals come firing on all offensive cylinders after a better week of practice, they can torch the Raven's secondary.  I don't feel their running game is all that good.  Mixon is a good back, but he has not had a great season.  All honesty, I think Perrine might do more damage.  I guess we'll let it play out on the field.  They're division rivals so they both know what the other does well, and what they don't.  We'll see who executes.  

#31 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 11:33 PM

Ravens/Bengals are the SNF game next week.   

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2023 - 11:36 PM

Wonder if that means Lamar is playing.

#33 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 11:40 PM

So I take this as NBC knowing Lamar's playing. Case closed.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#34 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:25 AM

I think that is what NBC wants.  But if you look at the rest of the matchups this weekend, this is really the most likely to be a competitive game against two teams that people around the country will know.  

#35 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 12:32 AM

There's no way the networks could know whether Lamar is playing or not. No one will know until practice resumes this Wednesday. 

This is one of the more intriguing matchups of Wildcard Weekend. It's not unique in the fact that it's between division rivals, but the other two--Miami-Buffalo and Seattle-San Francisco--don't figure to be as competitive. 

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 01:37 AM

Dal and TB has to be the biggest want for the networks. Not sure how its decided who gets what game. Bal-Cin is prob #2 even if you are just hoping Lamar plays. Wouldve been GB-SF before GB choked. None of these matchups are that intriguing.

#37 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 09 January 2023 - 03:07 AM

This is kind of how I see it.

I have it as slightly worse than a coin flip if Lamar plays (because they're a better team and they have home field) and auto loss if he doesn't.

Lets say about a 20% chance without Lamar and about 40-45% chance of winning with.

#38 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 06:18 AM

Obviously, if Lamar plays, Ravens have an even greater chance of an upset. Short of that, if the Ravens may be able to grind out a victory if they have both Dobbins and Edwards back with Huntley at the helm.

I think the key here is the defense. ( Which played well yesterday.) I think the real key to the game is not only pressuring Burrow, but actually sacking him more than two times. Burrow eluded several sacks and made productive plays outside the pocket. Finish off the pressure by sacking him four or five times next week and take away those productive plays.

I think the Ravens can win this one with or without Jackson. My gut feeling is Huntley will be at QB next week.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#39 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 09 January 2023 - 07:39 AM

We were clearly uninterested in winning period

The staff - and Robinson apparently - was uninterested, the players especially on defense appeared to play with more fire than we've seen lately.

#40 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:22 AM

Obviously, if Lamar plays, Ravens have an even greater chance of an upset. Short of that, if the Ravens may be able to grind out a victory if they have both Dobbins and Edwards back with Huntley at the helm.

I think the key here is the defense. ( Which played well yesterday.) I think the real key to the game is not only pressuring Burrow, but actually sacking him more than two times. Burrow eluded several sacks and made productive plays outside the pocket. Finish off the pressure by sacking him four or five times next week and take away those productive plays.

I think the Ravens can win this one with or without Jackson. My gut feeling is Huntley will be at QB next week.

NBC had to get a wink-wink, nudge-nudge that Lamar is going to be ready. Otherwise, this game screamed the early slot on Saturday or Sunday. Or, they're just rolling the dice and hoping.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=