1054 replies to this topic

#1041 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:20 AM

I'm almost glad they lost. A win would have definitely meant two things. Roman back next season and another week of will Lamar or won't he play. Not sure I could have taken another week of either. 

I'm a little concerned along the Roman front because if they were going to fire him, I'm surprised it wasn't done yesterday.  What's the hold up?  That they're actually battling with the decision? 

#1042 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:22 AM

I'm a little concerned along the Roman front because if they were going to fire him, I'm surprised it wasn't done yesterday.  What's the hold up?  That they're actually battling with the decision? 

My guess is they're not reacting to one game like we all do on most Mondays. Was Wink fired the day after week 18? I can't remember. 

#1043 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:25 AM

My guess is they're not reacting to one game like we all do on most Mondays. Was Wink fired the day after week 18? I can't remember.

No, about two weeks after the season ended.

#1044 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 11:21 AM

Twitter is saying that his contract is up, so he can't be "fired." They will just quietly say they wish him well and it's a mutual parting of ways, perhaps whenever it comes out that they are interviewing someone else, no real need to have a big announcement if he isn't fired.

No idea if that's true, it's tough to find info on assistant coach contracts.

• Mackus and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#1045 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 12:50 PM

Probably giving him respect to make the announcement after the dust has settled.

I wonder if he lands in a place like Chicago. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1046 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 01:52 PM

Probably giving him respect to make the announcement after the dust has settled.

I wonder if he lands in a place like Chicago. 

Chicago would probably be a good fit for Roman.

#1047 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 January 2023 - 01:53 PM

I do agree with you that Lamar can make some ill-advised decisions when plays are breaking down. Mainly because he made up his mind this year that he wasn't going to just take off and run after the first read was covered. So, he needlessly held on to the ball too long and took sacks or he foolishly forced throws (usually off his back foot) that would have you shaking your head. If they do trade him, I hope the next quarterback is at least fundamentally smart and has a high football IQ. They're not easy to find but it does factor into why this offense is so inept.

Ironically, in today's Sunpaper (yes, I still get a hard copy), a letter from a fan blamed Harbs for trying to make Lamar a pocket passer instead of continuing as a running QB. The injuries last and this year were Harbs' fault according to the writer.

#1048 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 02:30 PM

Ironically, in today's Sunpaper (yes, I still get a hard copy), a letter from a fan blamed Harbs for trying to make Lamar a pocket passer instead of continuing as a running QB. The injuries last and this year were Harbs' fault according to the writer.

Shouldn't that have been blaming Roman who actually calls the plays?

#1049 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 03:33 PM

I doubt Harbaugh had much input in that.  But people need to realize that Lamar himself wanted to be more of a pocket passer.  More than anyone, including Roman, he wanted to be known as an elite passer who could make all the throws.  I think he had grown weary of being regarded as some freak, running quarterback.  It's no mystery why he took so many sacks.  So, that fan can blame Harbs but the issue is more complex than that.  It's a shame Lamar couldn't get out of the way of his own ego because being an electrifying runner is what made him special and a revolutionary player. It sure wasn't his passing skills. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#1050 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 03:46 PM

Did they use the term "tried to turn him into Tom Brady"? Because I think I know that guy :)

• 1970 and JStruds like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1051 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 09:02 PM

Did they use the term "tried to turn him into Tom Brady"? Because I think I know that guy :)

Love you too. #facts

#1052 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 January 2023 - 09:39 AM

I should be more annoyed about this loss but as a coping mechanism I've told myself "well we would have lost against KC anyway".  

Okay, one week later I am more annoyed about this loss after seeing the Bengals act all high and mighty after beating the Bills.  

#1053 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 07:45 AM

Okay, one week later I am more annoyed about this loss after seeing the Bengals act all high and mighty after beating the Bills.  

It looked like the Bills took nothing from the way the Ravens D played the Bengals.

#1054 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,255 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 10:59 AM

It looked like the Bills took nothing from the way the Ravens D played the Bengals.

Ravens made Burrow human all 3 times they played him. Only averaged about 210 yards and a TD in the 3 games against us.

#1055 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 11:22 AM

Unlike the Ravens, the Bills front 7 was not capable of stopping the run while the secondary sat in cover 2, which is pretty much every team's solution to keeping Burrow and Chase from connecting deep regularly.

Not to mention, their soft coverage was getting eaten up all game, and the final nail, they had no pass rush at all. Losing Von Miller obviously hurt in that regard, because they were previously getting pressure with only 4 at the highest rate in the league. But the snow certainly didn't help either.

And the Bills offense is basically, "Josh Allen, go do something." So when he has an off day, that's a problem. Bengals defense is pretty good anyway.

So with all of those factors, things really snowballed for them. Pun intended.

• mdrunning likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=