1054 replies to this topic

#1021 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,947 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 05:11 PM

It was just a blatantly stupid call. Harbaugh can defend it all he wants but any, reasonably intelligent coach hands that ball off to Dobbins. If not, then hands it off to Edwards.

We could also throw it to Ricard or let a tight end run the ball. They'll never see it coming!

I'm shocked we didn't get a "guard eligible" target.
  • jamesdean likes this

#1022 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 05:18 PM

We could also throw it to Ricard or let a tight end run the ball. They'll never see it coming!

Sometimes, it makes you wonder if Roman was trying to get himself fired. 

#1023 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:36 PM

Exactly. I firmly believe the real error was the first down throw to Ricard. If Dobbins or Gus get any positive yards instead....
  • bmore_ken likes this

#1024 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:40 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Huntley's performance last night was eerily similar to Lamar's performance against buffalo.

#1025 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:42 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Huntley's performance last night was eerily similar to Lamar's performance against buffalo.

Are you talking about the play-off game 2 years ago?  I actually think Huntley had a better game if that's what you're referencing. 

#1026 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:43 PM

Are you talking about the play-off game 2 years ago? I actually think Huntley had a better game if that's what you're referencing.

Yes, that one, right down to the turnover into 7 the other way in the red zone.

#1027 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:50 PM

And if I remember correctly, Lamar got hurt shortly after that pick-six in the Buffalo playoff. I think it was the play where the snap from center went about nine miles over his head.

#1028 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:52 PM

And if I remember correctly, Lamar got hurt shortly after that pick-six in the Buffalo playoff. I think it was the play where the snap from center went about nine miles over his head.

I think he was out for most of the 4th quarter iirc.

#1029 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,598 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:59 PM

Which is why you don't attempt a qb sneak from two yards out. But you know, Roman.

Trying to QB sneak with some push from 2 yards out isn't a terrible call.

Trying to lunge over your OL while extending the ball out when you're under 6' and 2 yards out..... terrible decision making.

#1030 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:35 PM

He was a yard and a half short.

One of the analytic sites called it 0.6 yards, or about 22 inches. May as well have been 22 yards.

#1031 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 08:52 PM

Exactly. I firmly believe the real error was the first down throw to Ricard. If Dobbins or Gus get any positive yards instead....

Yep , but that's been Roman all season

#1032 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:33 AM

If the pass was better that's a TD. They've run that play before plenty of times.

#1033 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:51 AM

If the pass was better that's a TD. They've run that play before plenty of times.

Sure. If a lot of Huntley's passes were better then they'd be completed. Or if one to Andrews at the end zone was on target, it probably would have been intercepted.

The main issue is that Huntley is not a good thrower of the football, an has little composure under pressure. So there's a good chance that he's going to miss a throw that should be made, or if facing the slightest bit of perceived rush, is going to quickly back peddle / get happy feet and throw wildly.

Hell there were a few times he nearly fell down with nobody actually all that close to him because he felt pressure...
  • JStruds likes this

#1034 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,437 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:59 AM

While Huntley made some brain numbing mistakes it's not like Lamar is an automatic upgrade over that performance from Huntley and we win the game. He's made some idiotic decisions too. 

Huntley deserves his fair share part of the blame and it's a lot but a HC and a OC should know better than to put so much on a backup QB.

I think if Lamar is out there the same exact play calls are made in the same situations. Whether or not Lamar executes is unknown.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1035 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 January 2023 - 08:15 AM

I saw a good point about the sneak.  Often times you will see a RB back there too just to give the d something else to think about it but you didn't on this play.   If a RB is back there, there's a good chance he's making a tackle there after the fumble.

I should be more annoyed about this loss but as a coping mechanism I've told myself "well we would have lost against KC anyway".  

#1036 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,947 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 08:26 AM

I should be more annoyed about this loss but as a coping mechanism I've told myself "well we would have lost against KC anyway".  

I feel similarly.  How we lost bothers me more than that we lost does.  Not because of KC specifically but just because I had no expectation of winning the game.  Definitely some 'what if' feelings for if they could've advanced, mostly about the chance of Lamar returning with another week of recovery.

• DuffMan likes this

#1037 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:12 AM

I feel similarly.  How we lost bothers me more than that we lost does.  Not because of KC specifically but just because I had no expectation of winning the game.  Definitely some 'what if' feelings for if they could've advanced, mostly about the chance of Lamar returning with another week of recovery.

I'm almost glad they lost. A win would have definitely meant two things. Roman back next season and another week of will Lamar or won't he play. Not sure I could have taken another week of either. 

#1038 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,947 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:15 AM

I'm almost glad they lost. A win would have definitely meant two things. Roman back next season and another week of will Lamar or won't he play. Not sure I could have taken another week of either.

Disagree incredibly strongly with this.

#1039 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

While Huntley made some brain numbing mistakes it's not like Lamar is an automatic upgrade over that performance from Huntley and we win the game. He's made some idiotic decisions too. 

Huntley deserves his fair share part of the blame and it's a lot but a HC and a OC should know better than to put so much on a backup QB.

I think if Lamar is out there the same exact play calls are made in the same situations. Whether or not Lamar executes is unknown.

I do agree with you that Lamar can make some ill-advised decisions when plays are breaking down.  Mainly because he made up his mind this year that he wasn't going to just take off and run after the first read was covered.  So, he needlessly held on to the ball too long and took sacks or he foolishly forced throws (usually off his back foot) that would have you shaking your head.  If they do trade him, I hope the next quarterback is at least fundamentally smart and has a high football IQ.  They're not easy to find but it does factor into why this offense is so inept.  

#1040 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Disagree incredibly strongly with this.

It's a free country full of disagreements. Have at it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=